PDA

View Full Version : KLM out of norwegian Braathens?

Dash8100
16th May 2001, 12:39
A Dutch paper has a story that KLM is to sell their 30% ownership in the norwegian airliner Braathens. KLM says that KLM and Braathens are evaluating their cooperation, and that nothing can be excluded. Braathens has previously expressed that they are not satisfied with their profit from the cooperation.

sky unlimited
16th May 2001, 14:05
Braathens is losing money for the fifth year in row. Now Braathens is hoping for a tight partnership with Scandinavian SAS instead of the poor partnership with KLM. SAS wants to increase operations dramatically next years especially in Europe, Braathens would be a great asset with their 737's.

Kaptein Max
16th May 2001, 20:17
If Braathens is taken over by SAS, this will mean the end of competition on Norwegian domestic routes.

Prices and profits will soar, jobs will be lost. Ryanair, easyjet, anybody: please come!

moschops
16th May 2001, 20:22
If SAS made a play for Braathens surely the EC would block it? Or is Norway outside EU jurisdiction?

stab trim
16th May 2001, 20:56
I can hardly understand the EU commission would accept a merger of the two, as it would practically remove the domestic competition in Norway. Until other players come along that is. Although not a EU member, because of the ‘transnational’ SAS, Norway is 'in effect' part of the EU when it comes to aviation matters.

Also, why don’t simply the much larger SAS with a bigger coffer, get rid of Braathens through lowering the fares in the segments the two compete ?

My feeling is, I may well be wrong though, that SAS want to have Braathens as their stable, well known competitor. A new player might well have been a lot more aggressive and harder to keep at bay.

World Traveller
16th May 2001, 23:48
Norway is not a member of the European Union. Therefore, surely, this IS outside the EU's jurisdiction. Anyone know what the Norweigan government's attitude to this type of merger would be?

And I presume the BA/BU/Malmo Av rumour of a few months back is dead & buried?

Hung start
17th May 2001, 12:43
Norway and Braathens might be outside of EU jurisdiction, but SAS ainīt! And with current EU scrutiny of the SK/LH, SK/Maersk, SK/Austrian deals, I canīt imagine SAS ever buying BU. Competition would be gone.No good!
I believe that "stab trim" is correct. SAS is happy with BU as a competitor, that they know where they have. SAS has no interest in BU going under. Nobody has!