PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please

Anon-x
30th Apr 2001, 20:13
I was putting a PowerPoint presentation together, using paint and photo editor to convert photos to PowerPoint. Whilst I was editing in photo editor, which was taking ages and ages I pressed Control Alt Del, normally it closes the file. But this time it created a multimedia file and now I can't open the PowerPoint presentation, can I do anything to undo it? Or will I have to do the presentation again.

OLD_EGG_BOUND
1st May 2001, 13:54
using windows explorer, make sure your presentation still has the .ppt file extension.

Anon-x
1st May 2001, 15:00
Thanks OLD_EGG_BOUND I will give that a go.

Tinstaafl
1st May 2001, 19:41
Some (most?) M$ software is a bit hostile to allowing access to data files while it is being worked on.

Since you rebooted while the program had a file open it was probably stilled locked.

Not sure how Powerpoint locks its files but you could try checking the 'read only' flag.

Right click on the file & select 'Properties'. There will be set of tick boxes that allow you to change the read only, archive, hidden & system flags. Make sure that the hidden, system & read only options aren't selected.

Alternatively, if Powerpoint is like Word or Access, it creates a temporary file for each document opened. Perhpas you could try deleting or changing the read only flags on this file?

Anon-x
5th May 2001, 00:00
OLD_EGG_BOUND your suggestion worked! Thank you again.

Tinstaafl thanks also. Appreciate your comments.