PDA

View Full Version : Are the RAF desperate?

L1011GE
29th Aug 2008, 00:22
Today is my last paid day in the RAF, after 29 years 118 days I will be civilian.

This week I received a very nice certificate from Service Personnel and Veterans Agency.

It contained my nice little pin badge with a certificate stating "' The HM forces veterans badge is PRESENTED to you in recognition of your service in the UK armed Forces.....

How does being sent in the post representative of presented? Why is it not ""Presented"" by OC Admin when some scruffy SAC takes away the 1250? or by your ex boss at your Final interview.?

Not that it matters I wont be wearing it on my T shirts.... Just seems an insult

Anyway also in the pack was a print out of my JPA competencies ie fitness test, IRT, IDT CCS etc(5 pages)..all printed on nice certificate paper....what a waste of money...

Lastly I was told that after 29 years 118 days I still have to serve until 2016 in reserve......I cannot be bothered to write and tell the YTS trainee who made 3 spelling mistakes in my address he is wrong.

So there we go....30 years and the letter was pp'd in the signature block by an Administrator!!!!!!!! They cant even sent a printed signature..

That said I have enjoyed my last 30 years and would not change a thing....
I just wanted a dig at the futile gesture of a pin badge and certificate..

Watching my bank now for my Lump sum/pension

Stay Safe

acmech1954
29th Aug 2008, 05:32
Wellcome to the real world. After all that time you would think that a farewell from the RAF would be better. My departure was much the same, the only thanks I got was from the current Sengo of the day. the rest was just a walk round the station with a blue chit, exept for stores and I handed my uniform over.
Since the day I left my only contact has been my monthly pension, no contact to see if everything was ok or if I needed assistance or guidence. I am afraid that after that first step as a civvie you are on your own, the RAF has no interest in you at all.:ooh:

Old Fella
29th Aug 2008, 05:53
L1011GE and acmech1954, maybe the RAF reckons after so much service you don't need any guidance. There would not be too many with your experience to offer any assistance, I would have thought. You are 'big boys' now and I'm sure you will both manage.

Art Field
29th Aug 2008, 08:17
I do not think the fact that they can manage is the point, indeed it just about sums up todays RAF attitude. These people and many, many others, myself included, have loyally served for a considerable time and deserve recognition to a far greater degree. How can service personnel ask for greater attention from the general public when their own organization treats them in such a way.

L1011GE
29th Aug 2008, 08:32
I can manage don't you worry.

I posted because I thought the whole "Thank you"" for 30 years was very pathetic.

A small pin badge that arrived in the post
A certificate Not even signed by someone above administrator.
3 spelling mistakes in my address (after it was copied from JPA)
An offer to allow me to commit to another 8 years reserve...(I think 30 years is enough)

All I am saying is the letter is a template that the illiterate gibbon of an administrator could not correctly change.

And why oh why do I need to know I was in date on my fitness test, swimming test,Dental, IRT,IDT and CCS?

All produced on nice quality certificate paper.....

I just hope and prey they dont cock up my Lump sum and pension.

wobble2plank
29th Aug 2008, 08:32
After 18 years in the Navy flying in the Fleet Air Arm in various s**t holes around the world as dreamt up by our New Labour lords and masters I was thoroughly pleased to receive my leaving letter thanking me for my 18 years servitude in the Royal Marines ?????

Nothing like a little research and knowing your personnel!

Best left behind, certainly the best thing I ever did was to get out.

Good luck to anyone still slogging through the mire!

Old Fella
29th Aug 2008, 08:54
L1011GE, I was not meaning to dismiss your service to the UK. I served over 23 years with the RAAF and, like yourself, the end of my time went virtually unheralded, except for those with whom I worked. That said, I did not hold any expectation of anything different. The highlight of my "end of service" celebrations was me being hosed down by a fire tender crew as I descended the steps from the B707 at the end of my final RAAF flight.

My point was really that both you and acmech1954 probably learned a lot in your years of service and that not too many within the service would be able to offer any meaningful advice to you regarding civvy street. Good luck for your future to both you and acmech1954.

beefybayonet
29th Aug 2008, 09:14
Leaving today after 18 years service. I received my badge and certificate of service a few weeks ago and consigned them to the dusty box at the bottom of my spare cupboard immediately.

However, the best thing happened yesterday. I went into work to drop off my 1250. My final pay slip was there and upon opening it, I had the shock of my life. Instead of recovering the balance of the Long Service Advance of Pay from my gratuity, as per the terms and conditions I signed up to, a significant portion had been recovered from Augusts pay, meaning I am receiving the sum of bugger all today.

A call to JPAC revealed that the rules apparantly changed at the start of the year and the RAF nows recovers LSAP from final pay balances, as well as gratuities (I will still have £1700 taken from my gratuity to settle the debt). What made me rage was the complete lack of notice to the changes in terms and conditions. What exactly does the RAF think I'm going to do for money until my gratuity/pension arrives?

Luckily, the bank were very helpful and the mortgage will be ok next month. Now waiting for next instalment of the saga, i.e. gratuity hitting my bank account.

So glad I'm leaving the RAF with its 'Coco the Clown' style of admin!

Old Fella
29th Aug 2008, 09:27
L1011GE, I was not meaning to dismiss you service to the UK. I served over 23 years with the RAAF and, like yourself, the end of my time went virtually unheralded, except for those with whom I worked. That said, I did not hold any expectation of anything different. The highlight of my "end of service" celebrations was me being hosed down by a fire tender crew as I descended the steps from the B707 at the end of my final RAAF flight.

My point was really that both you and acmech1954 probably learned a lot in your years of service and that not too many within the service would be able to offer any meaningful advice to you regarding civvy street. Good luck for your future to both you and acmech1954.

cornish-stormrider
29th Aug 2008, 09:47
I really have to wish all of you who have left good luck and god speed. To all those left behind.......

As much as I personally admire you for sticking with it, in the eyes of the " management " ( or what they call themselves this week) you are nothing but a number. when you leave it is my experience they view you as little more than a traitor to the uniform, regardless as to the why's and wherefores.

All I can say is better out than in. the only things I miss are the fun times - caused entirely by the mates and the banter,

B4lls to the rest of 'em, they don't like it up 'em.

cazatou
29th Aug 2008, 09:55
L1011GE

A sad reflection on the attitudes of those in command.

When I left in '96 I had a personal farewell from the AOC and from the Stn Cdr. The highlight of my "clearance" was the LAC in "Stores" who asked his Flt Sgt what he should do about the 2 cardboard boxes I could not produce that had been issued in 1970 to move my kit from Abingdon to Manby.:ugh:

When we moved to France in 2003 I wrote (as required) to MOD PG5a(2) informing them of the move as I would be "regarded as not being available for Reserve Service".

I am still waiting for a reply!!

NutLoose
29th Aug 2008, 10:01
When I left two of us from the same section went to hand our Uniforms in having cleared everything else, I was in Civies and the other guy was still in Uniform... when asked why he said everything else had already gone home. My misfortune was I was told to keep everything more or less for my reserve at the time... Damn,

He on the other hand had to hand in his tie he was wearing, woolie pullie, belt! and hat leaving him in shoes, shirt and trousers LOL.. and that was it....... freedom!

We decided to walk over to work to say a final goodbye as it was only over the other side of the building.... as we walked along he got the "Airman where is your hat?" LOL to which he turned round and told the said person in no uncertain terms where he could stick his hat.......

We never got any badge etc, though my final swansong Groundrun on a VC10 which was supposed to be low power to clear the drains on a Royal as it was on Sunday morning during Church, (a strict no no unless it was operationally needed), managed to mysteriously get up to 100% power for some considerable time :} and was pointing on the correct bay in the right direction for all to hear, which for some reason did not seem to go down well in certain higher echelons....

I even got a nice lift sent out for me by OC Eng, who on hearing I had a day to do smiled :ok:

Coming back out into the real world may seem a culture shock for a while as the brainwashing wears off...... but the grass can be greener on the other side of the hill... indeed Sand may well be a forgettable option for you now.....

XV277
29th Aug 2008, 11:51
And why oh why do I need to know I was in date on my fitness test, swimming test,Dental, IRT,IDT and CCS?

All produced on nice quality certificate paper.....

You probably don't but if you went for a job somewhere it might be sufficient to impress on someone that you are fine, dedicated fellow who maintained his competencies.

dogstar2
29th Aug 2008, 12:23
A couple of posters have said that they have heard nothing since they left and that they felt on their own. You have to admit, however, that the resettlement package provided for the forces is pretty good. It is something which is not given by many other employers who really do just leave you to your own devices.

grandad
29th Aug 2008, 12:49
What do you expect from an organization that after 30 years takes your watch off you

dallas
29th Aug 2008, 13:01
A couple of posters have said that they have heard nothing since they left and that they felt on their own. You have to admit, however, that the resettlement package provided for the forces is pretty good. It is something which is not given by many other employers who really do just leave you to your own devices.
I agree, it's a pretty good package. I'm also puzzled by people who want to maintain ties with the RAF - some of the people, maybe - but aren't those who are leaving voluntarily trying to get away from things RAF? Of course there will always be the regimental blazer crowd - and I don't mean WW2 veterans - telling stories at the mess bar, but personally you won't see me for dust!

Dengue_Dude
29th Aug 2008, 13:52
My only regret when I left was that I hadn't left sooner.

That said, after a while the irritants die off and generally I remember only the good stuff (that said, I still have the odd Victor Meldrew day).

I even had withdrawal symptoms and went back with the RAuxAF for a couple of trips which was 'interesting' to say the least.

BUT, the arrival of the pension is gratefully received each month - tends to take the sting out of the sh1t we all endured.

I am SO glad I'm not having to put up with what the poor sods are putting up with now - in ALL the Armed Services. I reckon I had it easy . . .

sisemen
29th Aug 2008, 13:57
A badge???!!!! You were lucky. When I left all I heard was the clang of gates and no 1250 to get back in!

The pension's pretty good though ....... and I plan on living a long, long time to take advantage of it.:}

South Bound
29th Aug 2008, 14:40
I posted because I thought the whole "Thank you"" for 30 years was very pathetic.

Well fella, based on your forum title and location, I think I know who you are and I would like to say thanks for the time that you worked for me. It was never dull (especially with JQ around), although you swapping chewed up chillis with DS one Christmas morning is a memory that you should probably not share with any prospective employer! (Drown the puppies...)

NutLoose
29th Aug 2008, 14:51
Quote:

Well L1011GE in that case..................... Thank you :D:D:D:D

Now get a job ya Bum :p

larssnowpharter
29th Aug 2008, 14:59
Badge, certificates? I didn't get anything like that when I left!

Pension is nice though and allows one to make choices that are not always available to everyone.

Manila? If you head down south to Davao I'll buy you a beer.

AR1
29th Aug 2008, 15:00
No badge for me either when I left (But i did sneak out my S6). But thanks for doing your duty from 'a civvy':D.

ZH875
29th Aug 2008, 15:23
For some reason, I got two badges and certificate packs etc, different dates and signed by different people. Took JPA 3 months to stop sending me pay statements for £0.00.

acmech1954
29th Aug 2008, 15:35
Yes, I must admit that the pension has softened the blow a bit for 15 years already. After 21 years in and the way the RAF was changing for the worse ,the first redundancy in 93 was to much to resist, after all it could be jump before pushed.:ok:
At least I can remember Engineering Officers who would make decisions without worrying about their career path, and not being told the 'cost' of ever time you wanted something done or wanted to do. I can remember going to stores for aircraft spares and getting them without a new contract set up to get them manufactured !!!:confused:
In all those years I have never been unemployed,10 of those years in civil aviation ,and have justed started a new job as a civvie on a military contract, so I have first hand how much things have changed and not for the better.:{

NutLoose
29th Aug 2008, 15:41
I remember the period when they had to many Chief Technicians, so offered them the easy way out option...... those that could get work and were good at their jobs left and those that were left were for want of a better word.....:mad:

Re-Heat
29th Aug 2008, 16:03
I wouldn't worry - the civilian world is no more appreciative.

pipl
29th Aug 2008, 16:23
Ditto. Received my paperwork and blue peter badge last week, same sort of errors. 3 days till Mister.:)

Rigga
29th Aug 2008, 20:25
Maybe that is the way all loyal servants are treated nowadays? However, I am amazed at how much the RAF has changed in just 9 years since I left.

When I PVR'd -

I was allowed to keep all my uniform if I wanted to - Laarbruch was closing and the stacker didn't need to get rid of any more stuff - So I gave him all of it!

I sent the "Exit" Certificate back to Gen Office (as it was then known) to correct the spelling and get it signed by whoever was the Staish of the week.

I had to travel to wherever it was, near Gloucester, to hand in my 1250 (And as I gave notice as I started my new employment, I got the full commercial rate mileage, right across the country, from my company and then some more from the RAF)

Some big-wig of Air Rank (even bigger than a Groupie!) wanted to see me and asked why I'd PVR'd - so I let go with both barrels for my 15 minutes of non-fame.

I had no notice of any Reserve Time - Indeed, I felt so guilty I asked and was told "none" - good enough for me.

All-in-all a good day out.

(but - I didn't get a badge!)

c17age
29th Aug 2008, 21:03
Hello folks
Today was my last working day and true to form some SAC took my 1250 and that was it. Other than the boys from work saying so long, not a jot from my 2nd RO. Don't get me wrong, I expected nothing more nothing less as I had seen it before with the other guys who have left. Just relieved to have done the sand pit and got out scot free.
Happy to now have 4 months pay and not work for it. Then I too intend living as long as possible to squeeze as much out of HMG as i can.
Hope the grass is greener!!!
Stay safe to the guys left in.

soddim
29th Aug 2008, 21:43
I am not sure that what posters here expect on leaving the service is in, fact, reasonable. I served for 36 years and was quite happy to retire with no expectation of anything but the satisfaction of knowing that those years had been well spent.

Problem is that all those who serve are the RAF and after many years of service those you serve with are still serving - they are not your employers who might be suitably grateful but fellow employees, if you like, and all you should expect is the normal party with your mates to celebrate your departure from them.

We serve(d) not as servants of an employer or of a company owned by grateful shareholders but as servants of the nation. How do you expect the nation to express itself when you leave apart from paying your pension?

Lord Elpus
30th Aug 2008, 00:37
L1011GE,

Its a pathetic way to leave after all the years of service ( and pie munching:E) but its the same for everyone. I'm counting down the days till I go and cant wait.

I hope you managed to squeeze your 'Kate Moss' like figure through the gates on the way out!!!!:p

Enjoy the retirement fella and at least the rain is warm in Manila!!!

PS: Top leaving doo mate, er, er, what I remember of it!!!!!!!:D

L1011GE
30th Aug 2008, 11:32
Lord Elphus? is that an anagram for the loadie who ate all the pies?

acmech1954
30th Aug 2008, 12:46
I do not think you are totally right about civilian companies being the same, before leaving both employments, since leaving the RAF, I was told that they did not want to lose me and if it did not work out in my new job ,then there was a place for me if I wanted to return. Can you see the military offering that deal.:}

goudie
30th Aug 2008, 13:14
those that could get work and were good at their jobs left and those that were left were for want of a better word.....http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/censored.gif

When, as a Ch/Tech, I took advantage of a generous redundancy package in the '70's my boss bemoaned the fact that 'those with any get up and go, get up and go!.
Got a handshake and, 'best of luck' from Wg.Co. Admin. on my last day.
Enjoyed my time but good to start afresh in a new career whilst still relatively young.

larssnowpharter
30th Aug 2008, 16:13
I do not think you are totally right about civilian companies being the same

Some are; some ain't.

I was planning to retire for the third time last year. My current outfit (US owned) asked me to stay as 'a valued employee'.

I responded, 'Make it worth my while'.

Two days later a new contract with 1 yrs base salary as a bonus if completed.

But, as I said earlier, that pension hitting the account every month does give one a huge amount of flexibility.

dogf2
30th Aug 2008, 20:56
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Having worked with L1011GE & C17AGE, I can say now that it is just a coincidence that after a number of years flying, they both leave the service slightly heavier than when they joined.

Good luck in the west C17AGE

Hope the east is living up to everything you wanted L1011GE

dogf2

collindebe
30th Aug 2008, 21:28
In 75 all i got on my last day going round getting my blue chittiy filled in was an order to get my hair cut before Squadron Ldr Kerr of Mt would sign it B.....D

L1011GE
31st Aug 2008, 02:01
you should have signed it yourself, after all with no time left how would he know?

collindebe
31st Aug 2008, 07:12
Yes i always wished i had because it was 4 months since my last hair cut ,so if any one out there knows the where abouts of SQD LDR Kerr he owes me 5 bob

ZH875
31st Aug 2008, 11:48
if any one out there knows the where abouts of SQD LDR Kerr

First name is obviously Wayne :ok:

Lurking123
31st Aug 2008, 12:09
I got a friendly chat with my Air Officer when I left earlier this year. That said, he is one of the few true gentlemen left.

Oh, and they forgot to ask me for my 1250.

Pension and gratuity more than makes up for these trifling little matters though.

collindebe
31st Aug 2008, 18:03
Yes and a first class one at that .

L1A2 discharged
31st Aug 2008, 20:20
The money will be through in around 10 - 18 working days for most of us who leave at the moment - mine was 14 days in to the bank.

Nice certificate signed allegedly on a sunday (last day of service) by the AOC, unfortunately sent to a spurious address a few streets away but got to me eventually.:ugh:

Nobadge yet - useful in the states I am told :)

JackRyan
1st Sep 2008, 07:46
Good thread. I'm a way off leaving but this got me thinking; how is JPA handling pensions? Trying to get admin support drains a lot of my time at the minute. I wouldn't want to be on hold with the JPAC when retired.

spannermonkey
1st Sep 2008, 15:09
I too am due to leave at the end of this month after 19 years in. I’ll certainly have a bit of a knot in my belly when the SAC admin monkey manages to finally prise my 1250 from my grasp, if I can find one as most of my parent unit seems to have already shut up shop.

I think the point that most are trying to make is that no one really expects to be sat down for a last brew with Harry Staish or for him to walk you to the door, pat you on the back and say thank a lot old chap, now go and enjoy the future! If that’s what anyone is hoping for then the planet they live on must be full of people who eat rainbows and poop butterflies. If you do get a final chat with a Senior then make the most of it.

I think that what it boils down to is a simple matter of respect. As with any of the Services, when you leave after many years it would be nice to receive a little bit a genuine and sincere recognition for your efforts and occasionally being shot at all in the name of a good cause! Unfortunately when they decided to introduce the fabulous certificate and badge (looking forward to mine arriving!!) that all but evaporated. I think that for any true recognition, if that’s what you’re after is something you have to look to your friends for, if you deserve any! I would suggest that a final beer call, dining out night or some form of last p**s up would provide many more memories and appreciation than any poxy bit of paper or bit of scrap tin and don’t forget to leave any bitter and twisted memories behind with your ID, only take the good ones with you

Good luck to those who are staying and best of luck to those leaving

Foreign climes beckon.

Pasta La Vista - no!
Asta Lasagne - no still not right
Pasta Lasagne

30 days and counting!

KeefBeer
1st Sep 2008, 15:53
Its not just the Armed Forces that treat people with such casual disrespect. After 32 years of Government Service, having worked 13 weeks notice and having lost only 2 days to sickness in all those years I left without a handshake, a goodbye or a hastily bought retirement card from the local B.P. garage. I had a mind to return and kick all the proudly displayed "Investors in People" plaques off the walls.
A friend of mine who works as a Governor grade in the Prison Service tells me he encourages his staff to bid a fond farewell to long term prisoners on their release as a mark of respect for completing their sentences.

Fake Sealion
1st Sep 2008, 15:55
Grandad wrote

What do you expect from an organization that after 30 years takes your watch off you

Now......that made me laugh!:ok:

I managed to snaffle my flying boots and gloves though....still wear former for muddy walks and latter for .......flying!

Hope MOD Police don't come knocking:rolleyes:

cobaltfrog
1st Sep 2008, 21:33
Left today. If its any consolation the same happened to me with the certificate and badge except I sent mine back to Downing Street telling the PM what he could do with his 'valued presentation'. Got a nice letter back though!!!!!

x10ge
1st Sep 2008, 22:03
Treat your pension as pay - they are paying you not to wear a blue suit! - it's a great feeling and at the end of next month I get another one, more pay for not going to work - Brilliant:cool:

diginagain
2nd Sep 2008, 04:55
My leaving thrash was off-camp, in a rather nice pub outside Lisburn, accompanied by four RAF aircrew, (RIP PB), three SAC and my AAC boss. From what I can recall a good time was had by all - cheers, Spanky et al.

In contrast, when I called in to MW for discharge from the mob, the Chief Clerk told me to drop my MOD90 in his pending tray, he'd deal with it later.

They don't miss me, I don't miss them.

pipl
2nd Sep 2008, 07:16
22 years and 1 month served. Good bye and good luck Airforce, you will need it.

L1011GE
7th Sep 2008, 12:23
Good luck in the real world. I would suggest the first thing you do is find out what YTS Grammar scheme the young trainee you mentioned is on and join him on Monday morning

Good luck to you as well, May I suggest the first thing Monday morning you go down to the shopping mall and get yourself a life..

I am/was an engineer NOT an English teacher..

I really could not give a toss I left out a few commas.

I am not the one responsible for being the public face of MOD/Veterans Agency.

I suggest if you have nothing better to do with you life than post about missing commas or spelling mistakes, you find a local charity and do some voluntary work.

Or as I suggested earlier...JUST GET A LIFE.. Stupid old fool

Op_Twenty
7th Sep 2008, 14:43
er bro, they were apostrophes not commas...

I hate myself for even mentioning it - I will get a life I promise you, hunting for one now... don't hate me, just a bit of humour is all...!

http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/

L1011GE
7th Sep 2008, 15:01
just a bit of humour is all...!

Is all?? or do you mean that's all?

Op_Twenty
7th Sep 2008, 20:11
Oh touché, just trying to lighten the mood, some people are so touchy, lol.

:ok:

dead_pan
7th Sep 2008, 21:03
I just wanted a dig at the futile gesture of a pin badge and certificate..

What you you expecting - a ticker-tape parade, a fly past by the Reds perhaps? Sounds to me you shouldn't have left it so late to leave.

Anyway, welcome to the real world.

brit bus driver
8th Sep 2008, 01:01
Surely the title of this thread should be 'Is the RAF desparate?'; force is singular, therefore the use of 'are' is grammatically incorrect.

Coat for one please!!:}

D-IFF_ident
8th Sep 2008, 01:15
Did you mean 'Is the RAF desperate', or perhaps 'Is the RAF disparate'? :}

L1011GE
8th Sep 2008, 08:01
I cannot be bothered to write and tell the YTS trainee who made 3 spelling mistakes in my address he is wrong.

Ok KJ....(and it's not Kill Joy) I do not expect letters to be sent out from MOD HQ with spelling mistakes...

Understand now?

Get back you your web surfing you old fool.

dead_pan
8th Sep 2008, 08:31
As for dead_pan maybe you could see if there is a space for him on your course.

You flatter me - I recall the YTS was for teenagers. From the sounds of it if there were a course for embitterd middle-aged blokes it would be over-subscribed.

bgla55
8th Sep 2008, 20:50
Your lucky after over thirty three years I got didn't get a badge , really upset now (not) you must remember now since JPA took over (or should I say a company set up by ex senior military personnel happy to sell us down the river so long as they have a well paid job) nobody cares they completely messed up my records I didn't have a single qualification according to them but they're civvies go home each night and drink horlicks to live withthemselves.
you will now have the experience of keeping a close eye on your payout and pensions though I did get good service from the pensions people when JPA messed up again. :rolleyes:bgla55

Logistics Loader
17th Sep 2008, 16:28
i did 23yrs
left in 2003

yet i aint on any reserve commitment...
guess my terms of service were different...??

miss the job
dont miss the Royal Air Farce !!!

mind you, i like the pension for me beer money !!

kkbuk
17th Sep 2008, 19:40
Bus driver, 'desperate', not 'desparate'

brit bus driver
17th Sep 2008, 21:45
Neither really....but thanks for asking!:ok:

How's life on the big bus down under DIFF?