PDA

View Full Version : Wickenby Lincs Anti Spotters.

NJTCF
28th Aug 2008, 21:37
Can Anyone tell me why Coopers at Wickenby are so Anti spotters:(. A friend of mine who has been spotting for over 20 years visited there the other week and asked if he could go to the flying club/Microlight Hangers to take the Regs. Said he did Not want to go to coopers Hanger which is the other side of the runway anyway. In a Nut Shell He Was Told to Go Away. Anyone know why this is the case there now or had the same experience with Coopers. He Told me He Had been there a couple of years ago and had No Problems. I Even remember when Millers used to be there with Crop Sprayers, Agcats and Pawnees They were the days:).

chiglet
28th Aug 2008, 21:50
Could be summat to do with "Insurance". If it is a "Private Airfield/Flying Club" you may have to be a "member" to gain access.
[Went to Breighton a couple of years ago. It cost £5 to get in, and park the car....but you were covered by their insurance. You were however, not allowed to go to the "Private Members Hangars"]
It's their airfield, ergo, it's their rules......such is life
watp,iktch

BYALPHAINDIA
28th Aug 2008, 22:30
Can tell you a few tales about Coopers, Used to go to Wickenby and it was one of the friendliest airfields.

But that was then.....

NJTCF
31st Aug 2008, 15:21
My friend also tells me he visited Sturgate the same day just down the road from wickenby. Went to the control tower and asked and it was No problems just down touch anything and keep a good lookout for any aircraft. He Said He Wished All Airfields were like this:ok:.

KeMac
3rd Sep 2008, 14:52
Or Southend in Summer 1968, We asked if we could have a look around the Channel Airways hangars on the far side of the field and were told no problem but don't touch anything! We even walked up near to the top of the taxiway adjoining the runway to watch a Viscount land. It was the same at Luton that year, we were allowed to go around the hangars with the same advice -to be careful and not touch anything.

Groundloop
4th Sep 2008, 09:02
With certain Government spokespersons highlighting General Aviation as a possible "security threat" a month or so ago, maybe some organisations are getting nervous and not wanting to look "unsecure".

N707ZS
4th Sep 2008, 21:40
No Coopers engineers have always had an attitude problem from way back when they where based at Sandtoft.

Gulf4uk
5th Sep 2008, 14:42
There were many places in years gone by we could all Safely visit
and were welcomed but things have changed not just for Security
Reasons . There have been reports in many publications and on www
that Certain people have been seen in places where they should not
be often when asked to leave have been offensive . Reports of Damage
to property Fences gates and Vehicles how much of these reports
are 100 percent True is not Known but these story's get around
and the result We all suffer
If all Spotters took the Time to Ask before just wandering around
pointing Cameras and things and were polite to everyone it might
get a better Response the "WE ARE SPOTTERS WE DO and GO Where
we like "attitude of a small Minority spoils it for Everyone .

Tony

Hartington
5th Sep 2008, 17:20
It's been like this since the dawn of time. I remember going to Redhill in the late 60s. The Tiger Club were friendly; Bristows didn't want to know. It was/is also the case that if you ask one person you get one answer and someone else a different answer.

In the end, you are going on to private property. If the owner wishes to exclude you that's the way it is.

Look at it this way. Pretend you own a "special" car, one that people want to see. How would you feel if, every weekend, people turned up, unannounced, and asked to see it. Weekend, after weekend after weekend after.......

Vanpilot
5th Sep 2008, 17:50
Maybe.......just maybe they had something more important to do. Like the job they get paid for. Spotters don't keep airfields open......:ok:

Sorry spotters

NJTCF
5th Sep 2008, 18:25
Vanpilot.

Spotters/Aviation Enthusiasts do sometimes Help in keeping Airfields open!!! often They are asked for help with local planning applications. To send There Support in for the Application to the local planning Department. The more support the airfields/airstrip gets the more chance they get there applications approved.

Can think of a few Little Gransden. Wellesbourne When it Reopened. Turweston Again when it reopened and then the on going battle with the local council which gladly has been resolved. these are a few. So Spotters Do Sometime Help in Keeping Airfields Open. I Fly Alot Have No Problems With Spotters/Aviation Enthusiasts as long as they ask Dont Touch and Keep a Good Look out thats Cool With Me:ok:.

Wireless
5th Sep 2008, 20:23
That's very true. Little private airfields need all the friends they can get.

BYALPHAINDIA
5th Sep 2008, 20:50
Iv'e always said, Why not have an Aviation Enthusiasts members club, Were we all pay so much a year, Have an ID card, And then the Airports and Airfields can ask as many questions as they want - And have all this verified.

Obviously this would take some time to set up, But would distinguish a 'who is who' identity.

Think the days were you can explore are 'nearly over'

BYALPHAINDIA
5th Sep 2008, 20:53
Maybe.......just maybe they had something more important to do. Like the job they get paid for. Spotters don't keep airfields open......http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Sorry spotters

Some spotters are 'Aircrew' as well....

And they buy food, gifts, Or even Flying Hours from 'Reputable Airfields'

Gulf4uk
5th Sep 2008, 20:58
HI

There is already an ID national Scheme read about it

http://www.laasdata.com/taess.html

And many local airfields and police have there own .
Farnborough \Hampshire Police with TAG aviation are setting up a
Card scheme here . PM me If you want more info of where to apply
for that card

TONY

NJTCF
5th Sep 2008, 21:24
From the days Of Cranfield and Before that Leicester/Sywell and After Cranfield Wroughton/Kemble If it Was Not For the Spotters/Aviation Enthusiast Comming And Paying There 10 Pounds Etc to Go Air Side those days of 1000 Light Aircraft at Cranfield would have been Long Gone. Yes the PFA Is Now The LAA And those days of the Big Rallys Are Long Gone but Even with the regional Rallys the Aircraft Enthusiast Still Pays to Come in and Support these Events Good On them Keep It Up We Do Need You:ok:.

Also my Mate tells me the Owner of Tibenham Priory Farm Bob Sage Used to Collect Regs He May still Do:) So All You Spotters Out There Just Ask and 9 times out of ten you will be given permission. Always A Good Thing If You Talk Aircraft. But Dont Expect A Yes at Wickenby:(.

rufus.t.firefly
6th Sep 2008, 07:15
A proportion of "spotters" end up working in aviation eventually , which makes the hobby even more rewarding -I'm lucky that happened with me !

I am more than happy to assist any spotters/enthusiasts when I can to help their interest and show them our aircraft , and I know of many organisations and airfields that do the same. I know a few that dont or wont - its easier to say NO than take time to say yes !

It is important to foster interest , how many commercial , military and PPLs
were (are) enthusiasts ? lots ....... without these people some airfields would not exist ! If I saw something unlawful whilst taking part in what is still my hobby I would notify a member of the police or airfield staff

A little co-operation please before "shutting the airfield gate or hangar door" -bonafide spotters and enthusiasts should not be discouraged - they may generate revenue and become your organisational staff or customers in the future !!!!!

p.s. Thanks to the great folks at HXXXXXXXX for allowing me to look at their aircraft up close last week after asking first!

Wireless
6th Sep 2008, 23:47
Never forget your roots!

BYALPHAINDIA
9th Sep 2008, 23:06
There's nothing of 'remote' interest at Wickenby anyway.

clicker
9th Sep 2008, 23:33
Just remember folk's that if you do get a "No" then be polite and walk away and don't try to be sneeky later on unless in a lawful way.

Have known people to get anti with spotters because when they have been told "No" the spotter came back and tried to look in the same hanger. That only makes things worse for others.