PDA

View Full Version : Airlines on the Brink!!

A319-100
28th Aug 2008, 21:32
Starting to get a little worried about the state of the Industry. With Zoom going today without there being much of a lead up to it, how many airlines are in similar positions. What I mean is how many airlines are sitting on or hiding losses.The first we will know about it is when the airplanes are grounded. With a hard winter ahead I am fearful for a lot of airlines and I hope that not too many of our friends and colleagues will be looking for Jobs with very little choices this time next year....:(

I think it is going to be a serious challenge for the foreseeable future.

dontdoit
28th Aug 2008, 21:51
I know for a fact that at least one fairly large airline owes a fairly large airport operator a lot of money and it is VERY possible that the debt may be "called in" within the week. Can't say any more than that as I do not wish to get my ass sued, but read into it what you will.

A319-100
28th Aug 2008, 21:55
The above example is exactly what scares me...Watch this space I guess. I personally believe there is more than one but have no proof or info. :bored:

CarltonBrowne the FO
28th Aug 2008, 22:35
I have experienced once already the sick feeling when the BBC 6 o'clock news announces my employer has ceased trading. I would prefer not to experience that again...

Toodle
29th Aug 2008, 08:30
The Airlines are somewhat in a catch-22 position, if they are indeed in trouble the best option is not to say anything as the slightest hint of an airline being in trouble results in pax and travel agents not booking with the airline which just moves the inevitable that much closer! this is why airlines seem to go bankrupt overnight.