PDA

View Full Version : AOL Again!

BOAC
13th Jan 2002, 02:46
Seems to be getting a lot of exposure!

I'm trying to use a mobile phone with laptop to access AOL in Europe during my '100 hr trial'. Works fine in UK on the 0845 number (I have a UK phone contract) but I cannot connect to the numbers AOL give in Germany, getting either no response or a 'no carrier' message. Phone has full fax/data access and full 'roaming'.

Has anyone had success with this please?

What_does_this_button_do?
13th Jan 2002, 03:18
Are you putting +49 (or whatever the country code is) on the dial up number? That's usually the problem.

B

BOAC
13th Jan 2002, 13:23
Perhaps I should have clarified - I was dialling from inside Germany. Do I still need the +49?

What_does_this_button_do?
13th Jan 2002, 13:51
Technically no, but I've always had problems unless I did......

fobotcso
13th Jan 2002, 13:52
The "no carrier" message suggests that the PC is getting through so the number is OK.

Don't know AOL but it's related to CompuServe and when I dialled in France I couldn't connnect to the server until I changed the "Network" setting in my Setup from the UK's CompuServe to something else I can't remember now. Had to find this out by dialling the Frence help number; put a strain on my French but the guy was right onto the problem and very helpful.

Of course this info wasn't available on the CompuServe page that gave the Point of Contact numbers that I checked before leaving UK.

BOAC
13th Jan 2002, 22:38
Thanks all. Will keep 'pegging away' and will update progress.

BOAC
14th Jan 2002, 17:11
Latest news is that the AOL routine which 'adds' dialup numbers for other countries is incorrect. It 'adds' locations for, say, Germany, OK, but when you look at them with 'edit location' it has set them up as 'AOLNet' access when I am informed by AOL Tech support they should be set as AOL 'GlobalNet' access. Will keep this updated in case anyone else has same problems.

Boss Raptor
14th Jan 2002, 19:02
Had the same prob in Spain you have to change to AOL Global Net - the little box is on the 'expert set up - expert add' I think...the downloadable .txt list of world numbers actually says the network you should be on...

[ 14 January 2002: Message edited by: Boss Raptor ]</p>

BOAC
20th Jan 2002, 18:26
AOL have just 'discovered' a dial-up problem if you run ZoneAlarm in high Internet security mode. It gives 'TCP/IP' failures on dial-up. Setting the mode to medium appears to fix.

Man-on-the-fence
20th Jan 2002, 22:25
I tried that yesterday on a friends PC. It doent appear to be Zonealarm but is more likely AOL's connection which is causing the problem.

I managed to connect OK but only at the third attempt.

Another question, does anyone know how to backup the address book, and emails from AOL 7.0 or 6.0 for that matter.?

Boss Raptor
21st Jan 2002, 17:58
AOL Tech Support told me that all your personal data, passwords etc. is contained within AOL6(7)/Organize and that the all your messages are within Organize/Cache...

When moving computers I just do an initial setup with the AOL letting it do its' dial in thing etc. and then copy the above folder directly into the new AOL setup and bingo all your settings, favourite places, messages etc. are there...

Man-on-the-fence
22nd Jan 2002, 03:52
Thanks Boss, I will give it a go

BOAC
26th Feb 2002, 23:51
Update on European access:

Still no resolution from AOL on the problems with mobile dial-up in Germany - anyone else (UK account) had success? It is VERY difficult to get a coherent answer from the support people in AOL and they often conflict with each other with their advice!

I can report easy access in France using AOL given mobile numbers.

[ 26 February 2002: Message edited by: BOAC ]</p>