PDA

View Full Version : Help please!

eliasg17
28th Aug 2008, 15:46
Hi!
I wanted to ask if a degree is really necessary?
I want to begin training to become a commercial pilot but i am really concerned about how hard it is to lose your medical?is it?
If you lose it,at about and age of 30,regarding to your expirience,is there any jobs that you can qualify with your ATPL in a non flying job?
Thankyou!:ok:

Bucket
28th Aug 2008, 15:52
The value of a degree seems to diminishing these days with many of the opinion that they're not worth the paper they're written on unless its from a good University.

As an insurance to be used as a back up to flying there may be some merit in it. What subject/vocation did you have in mind?

There's not much you can do with an ATPL except perhaps become a ground instructor but the salary is not great and better for those who have a pension to supplement their income.

eliasg17
28th Aug 2008, 15:58
I had in mind a maritime degree,since i have the "connections":}of finding a job straight away,but i know that i will probally not like it so i will be wasting my time and money studying for something that i will not probally ever think of working there...hope you can understand what i am trying to say:)

jamie230985
28th Aug 2008, 17:25
Key responses:

Low hour pilot applicants can expect to have to complete a Jet introduction course before joining an airline.
Airlines commonly require university entrance level education of newly qualified pilots.
An interview and a simulator check are the most commonly used pilot selection methods.
Some airlines expressed concern that many new pilots lack knowledge of commercial operations and/or the realities of the airline career.

above is an extract from the GAPAN website who carried out a survey from 7 UK airlines, you choose!!

eliasg17
28th Aug 2008, 17:49
what did you choose?
I dont think a jet orientation course is really much needed..but anyway what do i know.:p