PDA

View Full Version : EK Dress Code

kingpost
28th Aug 2008, 11:35
Gents

Whilst I don't agree with wearing a jacket in 45 degrees heat, I must however put the following forward before we're in more trouble.

As you know, if a pilot crosses the boundaries here in EK we all get the cane! Have you perhaps noticed the message boards at EGHQ and the medical center referring to the dress code whilst visiting these venues. I happened to notice a colleague of ours walking around EGHQ in a vest, short pants and flip flops, all he needed was his surf board and a blond. When confronted he was rather defensive, quite acceptable, but was adament that because it was his day off he could do what he wants - sure but then stay away from work when dressed like a surfer dude.

They're giving us the rope and we're going to hang ourselves. I do know that when someone from the upper floor sees this happening, they crap on Ed who in turn will crap on us.

Lets just be responsible so that there is no come back to the pilot workforce regarding dress code and we can still go in dressed in a reasonable manner.

puff m'call
28th Aug 2008, 15:26
Question. Why would you wear your jacket in 45 deg heat? Just becuase it says so the stupid FOM?

Use some common sense, if it's to bloody hot don't wear the dam thing!:ugh:

The rest I totally agree with. :ok:

fourgolds
28th Aug 2008, 20:00
BREAKING NEWS " In recognition of the problems their pilots are facing on line , EK management have acted in the interest of flight safety. An EK spokesman said , " It is realised that a pilots level of concentration is not optimal when he is wearing a jacket in 45 degrees celsius , particularly during walkaround duty during the Arabian Summers. Farthermore it is acknowledged that the hats are sometimes very tight and known to form a Red Line across the forehead. Compounding the formation in certain cases of Irritation induced Rashes. An EK spokesman prided Himself on the companies ingenious sollution saying that " Air Safetly will never be compromised and every concern of our pilots is a concern of ours. Effective immediately all our pilots will undergo extensive training in temperatures of 55 degrees Celsius with Jackets and Pullovers on . A hat one size smaller will be used during the training to really squeeze the head. By exposing them to such extreme conditions we are confident that they will be suitably trained to cope with the current conditions " , the airline remains priased by flight safetly experts for its superb initiative.

Ok gents , I concur. Flip flops and surf boards is conduct unbecoming.
But practicality is still required.

BigGeordie
28th Aug 2008, 20:36
"Smart casual" shouldn't be out of the question. I can't see any excuse for flip flops, shorts or vest tops. Maybe I've finally become my Dad.

mekuria
28th Aug 2008, 22:16
I have read a couple of posts regarding Uniforms in ek lately.I believe that we should pay some level of attention to ourselves when we go to our work place(airplane or office).Another point I would like to raise at this particular time would be about our fellow pilots who fly with their PJs on during ULR flights.I think it would be wise, if not professional, for us to really take our Job seriously and dress for it.

CRS
29th Aug 2008, 05:49
Gentlemen,

I have been here long enough to realise that in this company only fight the battles you have a hope of winning OR indeed are worth fighting.

Personally it is a darn sight easier to roll with this one, as for baggage restrictions etc that is a different kettle of fish!

Keep taking the tablets

CRS

Kittty125
29th Aug 2008, 09:09
Mekuria - you need to get a life my friend! Get yourself a hobby.

mekuria
29th Aug 2008, 10:17
From the # of posts I had posted in the past,You can guess that I am not one of the guys who keep glued to the screen and write about anything and everything.I prefer to stay away from commenting on subjects,for I see people like you who would come out and say things that are personal and defensive.If you are one of those guys crossing the POND with boxers and a T-shirt,You must have a very good reason for doing so....Stand up for what you believe in and try to explain for us pilots who believe in certain level of discpline in a work place.

Don't take it personal.

helen-damnation
29th Aug 2008, 20:28
Another point I would like to raise at this particular time would be about our fellow pilots who fly with their PJs on during ULR flights.I think it would be wise, if not professional, for us to really take our Job seriously and dress for it.

Sleep in your jacket and wear your hat :E

trimotor
29th Aug 2008, 21:32
Concur. It's easy to roll with the little stuff and play the game...ours not theirs, so we don't need to give them any ammunition.

Wiley
29th Aug 2008, 23:57
Have to admit to wearing my jarmie shirt whilst negotiating the Pond after my stint 'resting' in the aft torpedo tube, particularly if I won't be the one in the driver's seat for the landing. Amazing as it may seem to some, I find I am still able to carry out my duties almost as well as if I was wearing my white shirt, epaulettes and tie.

nolimitholdem
30th Aug 2008, 12:24
Seems like there's about eight arguments going on concurrently...as usual. Are we talking about uniform standards when on duty? Attire when not? Or what the best-dressed augment pilots are wearing in the middle of the night?

My philosophy is simple. When on the clock, I look, act, and dress the part of a professional. I am a mercenary - you pay me, and I live in this ****hole and do what needs to be done. Fine.

When I am not on the clock. I will wear what I damn well please, within the bounds of decency taking into account the conservatism of where we are. Wearing beach wear to EGHQ isn't something I would do personally, but I absolutely defend the right of whomever to do so. They're the ones to bear the responsibility for their choice to do so, and I have better things to do than play Fashion Police. Personal taste is highly subjective anyway.

When I visit the EGHQ during regular hours on my own time it is generally to try and correct some mistake made by some various department that won't answer their phone or return a message, or to pick up a package I couldn't retrieve at my usual hour of employ at about oh say 2am. Believe me I am not there because I have nothing better to do. I figure if my attire somehow offends someone working office hours, they are free to come into EGHQ at such time as I AM being paid and view me in all my uniformed splendour.

But the micro-management can end with duty end, thanks. If I want someone to tell me how to dress I'll ask the wife! :}

Fugazi
30th Aug 2008, 13:33
Totally agree. Downroute wear what you like. However, if there is a dress code in any of the "concierge floor" (hey remember him?) lounges (must admit, never seen any) then it might be an idea to take note, and dress accordingly. However on duty it might be an idea to play the game. Personally I feel there are a few EK drivers who look like a bag of S**t whilst in uniform. They are normally the ones, however, who also look the same out of uniform. :E There again it does give the CC something to laugh about when we all meet for dinner!! :)

kingpost
31st Aug 2008, 10:17
Nolimitholdem

Frankly, I don't give a fat rats arse how you feel about the company and what you wear, even if you ask your wife if you look presentable.

Just think about those of us who do not want to be penalised because your wife can't dress you properly because you may find that it's your arse that gets the boot from the upper management group, that's if they change their way of disciplining.

Ask you wife to spare us a thought when she dresses you please.

Raredata
31st Aug 2008, 12:48
I would have thought it was more important to look smart at work.I was going through security at Munich a couple of months ago and saw the scruffiest looking Emirates FO,shirt hanging out,hair looked like he'd been dragged through a hedge backwards,shoes looked like they'd never seen polish etc....Real mess!!

skyvan
31st Aug 2008, 15:21
Hey, next time come up and say hello, I won't bite :)

Don't worry, it wasn't me, I don't have any hair!

5star
31st Aug 2008, 17:27
It would help A LOT if they would provide us with good quality uniforms.... Never worn anything worse than over here. Shirts, trousers, jackets name it: big big ****.
About appearance. I couldn't care less. As long as EK treats me as a donkey, I don't care how my colleague is dressed. The guy who doesn't look that smart in the uniform is usually the best company in the cockpit...

Any guy who wears a uniform to pick up his mail during a day off needs his head examined (floor -1). Flip flops and shorts are just fine...:ok:
What's the next thing? An email recommending us how to be dressed at home?

buzz&sntch
31st Aug 2008, 19:00
I'll tell you, and probably preaching to the choir on this one, we have the best possible job! Look where this stuff is coming from, people trapped in glass cubicles for 8+ hours per day. Trap me in an office for that long and I'd be coming up with codes on what you can think, that's if you can even think after 4 hours! This isn't unique to EK either, any place of employment with office workers breeds this kind craziness! Rest easy knowing that if the biggest problems are attire on the job or on a day off, things aren't so bad!! It's the petty crap like this that shows up when recruitment stops though, tow the line or be fired to no other opportunity. Nothing like improving moral by making the staff paranoid.

eklawyer
31st Aug 2008, 19:32
Who said the uniforms were big ?

Well thats EK Management foresight for you, boy these guys are good!

I have it on good authority a new FCI will be issued next week stating that approach should be flown with your shirt hanging out which will produce extra lift, saving on average 1.2 Kg of Fuel on the 773/345, 1.1 Kg of Fuel on the 772 and 343 and 0.8 Kg on the 332. The shirt must be tucked back in before leaving the flight deck.

The FCI will also state the hat should only be worn on the approach if wind tunnel testing, to be carried out at your annual medical gives a facial drag coefficient of 0.28 or less.

To increase safety and reduce the chance of confusion and the addition of extra drag on take off.

Two new checklist items will be added following Mobile Phone.............Off

Shirt........................Tucked In
Hat..........................Off

Raise or Fold
31st Aug 2008, 23:20
Speaking of dress code.

Do any pilots at Emirates where boots?

Just wondering if I need to get some new black shoes.

Thanks,
Raise or Fold

jumbo1
1st Sep 2008, 02:11
Are you an Aussie?
I've been told in no uncertain terms by more than a few of my Aussie colleagues that "no self respecting Aussie would be seen dead without their RM Williams".
Hope that answers your question
regards
J
:ok:

Raredata
1st Sep 2008, 08:35
Boots

Could be a Kiwi referring to gum boots.

Trader
1st Sep 2008, 09:03
Easy solution - dress code for the building. One that applies to everyone.

(but, if they dont want sandals then it applies to the guy in the thobe as well!!)

GMDS
1st Sep 2008, 12:21
I guess some code like this:

No pyjamas on the flight deck even if they're company-blue-gay, and no pyjamas in the COC even if they are white ....

kempilot
1st Sep 2008, 14:57
Well here goes........ I know I will get totally flamed for this one. I am 47yrs old and I just think that as pilots we constantly demand respect for what we do. When we were learning to fly, we could not wait to wear a pilot uniform.
If we want to be treated like the professionals that we are, why not act and dress like one. Don't get me wrong, I like my shorts and flip flops too, but there is a time and place..........

icarus sun
1st Sep 2008, 15:39
I think that shorts and flipflops are great for summer use in UAE. Not for your interview at Emirates or tea and biscuits with chief pilot. Local dress best if living with no ac in summer.

wizard1
1st Sep 2008, 20:28
This is such a stupid thing to be worrying about. The world is falling apart around us and we are debating hats, shoes and rucksacks. It is their train set - just get on with it and worry about something else. It takes an absolute minimum effort to comply with the EK dress code. In some ways you have to go out of your way to break it. I am not a company man at all but they pay the money so when I am on company time and in company property I will make the effort and put on a pair of trousers. I mean really why not. Boots in the cockpit? Why bother ?

Thridle Op Des
2nd Sep 2008, 11:11
As a non okka (or is that occa or ocka) winging pom, arr ems are great for me, use them all the time, best thing out of OZ, ;) no laces and gently swell with my feet, especially on the NBO turnarounds.

TOGA!
2nd Sep 2008, 17:13
Can you purchase arr ems in Dubai?

Kittty125
3rd Sep 2008, 07:25
Mekuria,

I'll just agree with the other posters - I don't need to be in a uniform to be professional and I don't see the point of wasting time getting change twice on a 2 rest strategy. Chill out dude.

White Knight
3rd Sep 2008, 07:32
There is no 2 rest strategy as far as I'm aware Kitty!!

Nor do I wear longs on my day off, even if I'm going to company property such as clinic....

Kittty125
3rd Sep 2008, 08:38
White Night,

Admittedly I'm not looking at the most recent update but the IAH and GRU have a 2 rest strategy (at least they used to). Can't think why anyone might get confused - we have so few changes to policy!:hmm:

White Knight
3rd Sep 2008, 11:25
Kitty - please, it's White Knight with a K...................

Ok, will admit I haven't looked at rest strategy for IAH or GRU 'cos I'm a 'Bus driver:}:} But it seems to be pretty stupid idea - chopping and changing every few hours - never get a decent nights sleep..

Kittty125
3rd Sep 2008, 11:30
White Knight,

It all depends on your perspective...

btw mine's Kittty with 3Ts;)

Cheers

OBOGS
3rd Sep 2008, 11:43
Decompression/smoke/fire, masks on all the way etc. (worst case scenario), land ASAP. Your buddies stuck in the aft torpedo hold.

You'll look really professional in your (own) rest attire on the TV cams after evacuation. Remember to bring the teddy bear.

Also, I always thought the pilot cap was partially for this scenario, i.e. to be easily identfiable as a F/D crew member in the chaos following an evacuation.

Then again, I don't spend AED 500 for my hairstyle and 100/day for hairspray/gel to maintain it...

Yes, you guessed right: no probem putting on long trousers, shoes and a decent shirt when at EK premises either.

Cheers

OBOGS

millerscourt
3rd Sep 2008, 12:20
I am so glad I do not work for EK as the thought of coming across White Knight with a K in flip flops and shorts would be too ( two o's this time!!) much to bear:D

fatbus
3rd Sep 2008, 14:44
Dont you think you should give this a rest.
The crew rest thing in the trunk was done and dusted years ago on the bus and now is being re-hashed with the 777 boys. Dress as you please(No Hats indoor ,thank you) if the company( read - CCM's ) dont like it let them try to change it and eal with it then.
Heard a good one, a pilot showed up to the COC in a golf shirt and only changed into his uniform 1 hr prior to push( changed on the plane). Guys got balls but good on him.

mekuria
4th Sep 2008, 12:42
I can't wait to fly with you.

White Knight
4th Sep 2008, 13:39
Millers - got to sat that the thought of meeting you in any attire would put me off my food.. Mind you, being the little man that you are I probably wouldn't even see you:bored:

nolimitholdem
4th Sep 2008, 16:11
kingpost,

With the kindest of regards, please realize that your lack of caring what I think is more than mutual. But at least get it correct, what I wrote was that I defend the right of someone to wear what they choose when they are not "on the clock". Not that I dress in any way that could be construed as offensive, even for the thinner-skinned. But your posting has guaranteed that I will make an effort to dig out the wifebeater, flip-flops and shredded cutoff shorts on my next visits to the Bouncy Castle.

As you said, I'll be sure to get your wife to spare a thought to how she dresses me...:hmm:

EGGW
5th Sep 2008, 06:04
This thread has run its course, enough said :ugh::ugh:

Thread Closed

EGGW