PDA

View Full Version : ISP's in the UK?

18Wheeler
28th Apr 2001, 14:07
I'm going to be spending some time in Manchester, and I was wondering if anyone could point to a cheap ISP for me to use there?
I'm likely to be staying in a hotel at the airport, and so the rotten sods will be charging me for both making a freecall (0800) *and* time it as well, most likely.
So, at the moment I'll mostly be just checking email using that service. (or so the plan goes at the moment)

reboot
28th Apr 2001, 21:04
Just use someone like freeserve. If you are worried about hotel phone bills it might be worth using a mobile if you have the gear. I use a pocket PC and my mobile to check my mail while away in the UK. I use tesco net (BT server) for acces but run email accounts with several ISPs

:) :)
:) :)

[This message has been edited by reboot (edited 28 April 2001).]

18Wheeler
29th Apr 2001, 07:39
Thanks - Does their disc usually come on the front of a local magazine?

pied piper
29th Apr 2001, 12:45
depending on the hotel, there may be an Internet facility in the hotel or even on your tv using an infrared key-board.

Most ISPs have a web based interface to enable accounts to receive e-mail

With btinternet(spit) you can have your e-mails read to you over the phone(not tried it myself)

Usually the 0800 charge is a one off per session (£1.00?)

18Wheeler
29th Apr 2001, 18:42
Thanks for that!
I forgot that the hotel probably will have a business centre thingy that I can use.
The web based email thing isn't much good to me, unfortunately, due to the nature of many of the emails that I have to reply to.
The typical cost of a 'free' call is about 50p ... http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif
Still, making progress with this info, thanks!

pied piper
1st May 2001, 14:34
Glad to help

I do not understand how a web interface to your existing accounts is not suiatable based on the volume of replies? given that the call is free other than a one off session fee.