PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair in Mushroom Soup shock horror drama

pappabagge
28th Aug 2008, 09:42
News is just reaching us of a serious incident involving a Ryanair aircraft and an SLF's tin of Mushroom Soup stored in an overhead bin. According to the London Evening Standard (only quality journalism the frequent reader will note), a passenger's tin of Mushroom Soup split open due to the aircraft pressurization (primae facae evidence that, yes, RyanAir DO pressurize their cabin), with the fungal fumes being inducted into the AC system, and recycled around the cabin, apparently causing an allergic shock to one of the punters. The heavily-sweating Pilot induced a cheek-pulling death plunge prior to effecting an emergency landing, after which a physician barred the aircraft from further service due to the continued risk of provoking other potential allergic reactions.. anyone have anything to cut and paste?

Darran
28th Aug 2008, 09:46
BBC Report

BBC NEWS | UK | Leaking mushroom soup halts plane (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7585234.stm)

ukdean
28th Aug 2008, 09:56
Classic!! are we sure that the reaction was not due to the fact that a passenger had bought their own in flight meal.. MOL take the hint go hide in a dark damp room....

raffele
28th Aug 2008, 09:59
BBC reporting BBC NEWS | UK | Leaking mushroom soup halts plane (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7585234.stm)

They say that it leaked from the overhead bin onto the pax.

Additionally in that article, they mention an oven fire on a Thomsonfly flight to Gatwick on Tuesday - I don't think that's been picked up on here yet

Nearly There
28th Aug 2008, 10:00
Surely more than a 100ml...how did they get past the best of the best:ugh:

Mr A Tis
28th Aug 2008, 10:05
Probably a new line from Alpha retail. Duty free soup:eek:

ZFT
28th Aug 2008, 10:05
Assuming the BBC report is accurate, severe allergic reactions are not to be laughed at. Without rapid and correct treatment, they can be fatal.

Diesel_10
28th Aug 2008, 10:08
'Oi Soupervisor - er I've found a metel cylindrical object full of a murky grey substance on the X-Ray in a bag sir'.

'As long as it's not 125 ml of sun lotion it can go'.

Hat coat etc. :oh:

Jet Fuel Addict
28th Aug 2008, 10:11
how did they get past the best of the best

Sorry, who? :}

pappabagge
28th Aug 2008, 11:06
- methinks he meaneth The Brown Army - a.k.a the "touchy-feely brigade"

Desertia
28th Aug 2008, 11:14
Great that you find anaphylactic shock a source of amusement. Perhaps the passengers death would have been even funnier?

VAFFPAX
28th Aug 2008, 11:38
Allergic reactions are NOT something to trifle with, anaphylactic shock can be, well, fatal, especially when it involves the fungal (penicillin, mushrooms, etc) or the nut family (sesame, peanut etc).

S.

N1 and ITT
28th Aug 2008, 11:44
Oh - my - God!!! How dangerous flying really is...

I should finally quit this stupid business.

Flintstone
28th Aug 2008, 12:30
Actually that's a good point. How did this get past the security people? Whatever kind of (homemade) foodstuff this was I can't for one minute believe it was of a quantity less than 100ml so who overlooked it? I trust there will be a full blown enquiry resulting in 'retraining' of those responsible?

Vaffpax/desertia. Lighten up? :rolleyes:

TiiberiusKirk
28th Aug 2008, 12:32
I have to agree that anaphylactic shock is a serious issue not to be mocked or ignored.

But I'm still having doubts about ever seeing above the cabin door: "Warning: This Plane May Contain Nuts" ... :ooh:

CorkEICK
28th Aug 2008, 12:33
Surely more than a 100ml...how did they get past the best of the best

Maybe they were magic mushrooms.........;)

jewitts
28th Aug 2008, 12:33
Actually that's a good point. How did this get past the security people? Whatever kind of (homemade) foodstuff this was I can't for one minute believe it was of a quantity less than 100ml so who overlooked it? I trust there will be a full blown enquiry resulting in 'retraining' of those responsible?

Smuggled in as babyfood perhaps?

SLFtoo
28th Aug 2008, 12:37
The metro (yet another reliable sorce of information!!) is reporting it as frozen mushrooms that had began to defrost and juice seeped through the locker and dripped onto the unfortunate passenger

OntimeexceptACARS
28th Aug 2008, 12:41
Bet the Captain's a fungi to be with......

jewitts
28th Aug 2008, 12:41
The metro (yet another reliable sorce of information!!) is reporting it as frozen mushrooms that had began to defrost and juice seeped through the locker and dripped onto the unfortunate passenger

So next time I want to get my 500ml bottle of mineral water on as hand-luggage, all I need to do is freeze it? Interesting?

MPH
28th Aug 2008, 13:04
Luckily it was not a soup with the mushrooms that give you hallucinations!!!

saman
28th Aug 2008, 15:39
Ontimexcept.. Thank you, you brightened up my day!

Saman

Load Toad
28th Aug 2008, 23:57
It's a fairly slim chance isn't it - passenger smuggles mushroom soup onto 'plane, soup leaks, falls onto passenger who just happens to suffer allergic reaction to mushrooms.

My BS radar is sounding an alarm.

Mark in CA
29th Aug 2008, 05:40
This has to be one of the stranger incidents:

Irish Examiner | Soup leak forces Ryanair plane to land (http://www.examiner.ie/breaking/ireland/mhqlojkfidql/)

A plane was forced to land when a passenger had an extreme allergic reaction to a leaking jar of mushroom soup, it was revealed today.

The soup fell on the man from an overhead locker on a Ryanair flight to Dublin from Budapest.

He reportedly suffered allergic swelling in his neck and struggled to breathe, forcing staff to seek emergency medical treatment.

Donkey497
29th Aug 2008, 06:25
So next time I want to get my 500ml bottle of mineral water on as hand-luggage, all I need to do is freeze it? Interesting?

Well, I suppose that technically, when its frozen, the water is no longer a liquid, but a solid.........

So, who's going to be first to try it?:D:D:D

sirwa69
29th Aug 2008, 06:32
I'm with Load Toad on this one :confused:
The first time in avaition history that a can of mushroom soup not only leaks in an overhead locker but seeps out through the bag it was in and then the locker itself.
Lets take this one at a time:
1) How did it get past security?
2) How did the can open?
3) How did it escape the bag it was in?
4) How did it leak out of the locker, it's not as if their full of holes?

Then, and this is the unbelievable bit, when there are probably only three people in the world who are allergic to mushrooms one of them happens to be sitting right below this. :ugh:

Where was the passenger who's mushrooms it was sitting?

I do not believe in coincidences to this extent, there is obviously something else going on here.

I think we should be told :ouch:

On On

radiosutch
29th Aug 2008, 07:14
Last BA flight I took back from Zurich a couple of weeks ago we were all told on the PA not to eat any peanuts as a couple of pax had severe allergies. That included us up front. ( Club not sharp end) Bit of overkill IMHO

:bored:

jewitts
29th Aug 2008, 08:22
Any passenger with such a severe allergy should a) Know it, and b) carry an "Epi-pen" to counteract anaphylactic schock. However epi-pens are a pain in the rear end in more ways than one. They are full of liquid and have a sharp needle at one end with a "firing device" that shoots the needle into the skin. A veritable magnet for security guards!!!
However it is no joke. Anyone with e.g. a peanut allergy, can suffocate through anaphylactic shock unless treated rapidly. It it a good precaution not to have anyone eat peanuts nearby. i too have been on a flight (Easyjet I think) where they refused to sell peanuts due to an allergic passenger's request. Good on them I say!

Otto Nove Due
29th Aug 2008, 08:32
Guys you're all asking how they smuggled it past security - they probably bought it in one of the many shops airside? :rolleyes: Budapest Airport I'm sure has shops selling souvenirs of the famous national Hungarian Goulash. Same way there are shops selling wine, drink, etc.

SevenSeas
29th Aug 2008, 08:46
Just met a friend who was on the flight, they had an eight hour delay before a replacement aircraft arrived, but she said it was a Ryanair flight !!!!! Just shows half the time the SLC do not have a clue and they are used as eyewitnesses.:ooh:

Mark in CA
29th Aug 2008, 15:52
I've been through Ferihegy airport many, many times and don't recall ever seeing any soups, much less mushroom soup, on sale at the duty free shop. On the other hand, I personally know several Hungarians who have smuggled all sorts of banned things onboard (and through U.S. customs), including a three-foot, very garlicy and smoky sausage and about a kilo of fresh Hungarian yellow wax peppers (for making lecso). And so nothing would surprise me as far as carry-on goes.

Perhaps this was homemade mushroom soup, and thus in some sort of plastic or other container and not in a can, and perhaps it didn't just leak out of the bin, but spilled onto the passenger when someone opened the bin and removed/opened the bag containing it, perhaps after it had tipped over during flight/takeoff.

Still, it is an incredible coincidence. But then again, these things do happen.

buffalowing
29th Aug 2008, 17:30
So Ryanair not only treats their pax like mushrooms, but also treats their mushroom-soup-tins like they treat their pax.:yuk:

pilot999
30th Aug 2008, 20:26
someguys call me a mushroom. i just tell them I'm a fun guy

Abusing_the_sky
30th Aug 2008, 21:34
So Ryanair not only treats their pax like mushrooms, but also treats their mushroom-soup-tins like they treat their pax

I guess you've never been in one of my flights. I treat my pax like orchids; an endangered species.

Rgds,
ATS

Have you missed your flight recently and the ground staff wouldn't let you on the plane by any chance?

west lakes
30th Aug 2008, 21:42
However epi-pens are a pain in the rear end in more ways than one. They are full of liquid and have a sharp needle at one end with a "firing device" that shoots the needle into the skin. A veritable magnet for security guards!!!

Interestingly, I am a diabetic, and every time I fly I carry at least 4 pens, spare insulin & needles through security. They have never given them more than a cursory glance, never question them or comment. (though I do carry a doctor's letter in case they do)