PDA

View Full Version : Compass Aptitude test

alfapilot
27th Aug 2008, 19:44
I have just applied to OAA to undertake the skills assessment at the end of Sept. I have a month to prepare and have covered most bases to give myself the best opportunity to get through and onto the course.

Some time ago whilst going through the decission making process, I found a "practice" excercise for the HE co ordination aspect of the course and indeed some of the other sections, I'm quite sure it was either a piece of advice from this forum, or a competitor training establishment.

Either way, it and I have parted company, and I have searched high and low for this kind of opportunity. Can anyone help?? Is anyone aware of a similar activity on line??

I have heard the usual "either youve got it or you haven't" stories regarding HE co ordination, but don't buy into that at all. Like any computer game, you can get significantly better by practicing and preparing properly.

alfapilot
29th Aug 2008, 07:44
Fantastic :ok: :D, this is exactly what I was looking for!! I too did my GCSE's some time ago,actually 17 years this year!!!!!!! I've also found the preparation pretty tough, particularly the physisc. What specific areas are you covering? I have the Maths and Physics DVD's from OAA, but there is a lot of subject matter to cover!! I've been going through the entire disk, quite happy to carry on but some of it seems.....well totally unconnected with anything at all to do with the aviation industry!!?? :confused:

ChrisLKKB
30th Aug 2008, 09:38
This is purely my own opinion but it looks to me like that Compass test is little more than a means to collect a contact data base of potential customers. It would appear to me that only the truely cack-handed would do particularly poorly at it.

Regarding the level of maths and physics involved in the ATPLs, based on my experience of the old CAA exams which, from the online question banks available appears to have been more mathematically challenging, the level of maths required for the ATPLs is fairly basic, certainly well below the old o-level standard.

While time spent studying maths and physics (or any education) is never wasted but if you had a reasonable grip of the subject at school and are finding the brush up heavy going, even 17 years on, you could be putting a little more effort in that is actually required and it could be better time spent studying other parts of the syllabus.

Imo the only brush up required for a ground school course is basic rearranging of equasions and basic trignonometery if you can remember SOH CAH TOA (try pronouncing it soccer-towa to help remember it), sine (of the angle) = opposite over hypotenuse, cosine of the angle = opposite over hypotenuse, Tangent = Adjacent over Hypotenuse and you can rearrange that equation to solve the angle, opposite, adjacent and hypotenuse then that's the trig and algebra pretty much sorted.

Practicing the maths involved is unavoidable and comes when you study the subjects, you'll learn the physics required unwittingly as you study too. If you can get hold of the course notes in advance you'd spend your time more effectively studying them and using the maths and physics in context, that way you wont go over and above what is required of you and it may put your mind at rest, it's the rest of the course that can be a bugger :p

You can find the question bank on line at 2go.aero :: the aviation test preparation :: home (http://www.2go.aero) FOC

Again, I repeat this is only my opinion based on my experience it would be interesting to know if anyone else who has recently passed the ATPLs agrees ?

btw mental arithmetic is always helpful whether in exams or flying so practicing that will help you...that's a good excuse to go down the pub and play darts I reckon :ok:

ix_touring
30th Aug 2008, 20:06
I could never recall soccer-towa etc... I could recall this one though:

Some Old Hag Cracked All Her Teeth On Apples :}

(and Power = Ivy Watts, but that's another story :) )

David Horn
31st Aug 2008, 05:03
The Cat Sat
On An Orange
And Howled Horribly

Can be used to memorise:

Tan = Opp/Adj
Cos = Adj/Hyp
Sin = Opp/Hyp

TeneilleAUS
2nd Dec 2013, 03:44
I've been practising on multiple websites for the compass and technical tests for the past month leading to OAA cadetship and BoAv selection and have not been able to get a straight answer about the technical (physics) testing.

I've been practicing motion, forces, vectors, moments, centripetal forces, pythagoras, power and ohms law as well as brushing up on astronomy/the universe.
It has been years since I completed year 12 and I am worried I've overlooked something.

Does anyone know the topics and format of the test.
Please keep in mind, as far as I can tell... the technical test is on top of the COMPASS testing.

Please Help!!!:ugh::ugh:

LastMinuteChanges
26th Jan 2014, 10:35
@Turkpilot1, I believe likewise most Turkish airlines use DLR or the newer 'Mollymawk' test.

Check out MollyMawk.de, which has information for the test takers available on their website.

https://www.mollymawk.de/public/information-for-test-takers/test-your-potential.html