PDA

View Full Version : Bus Shelters - Glass Vandalised

fireflybob
27th Aug 2008, 18:05
Over the last 2 days I have seen the remains of 4 bus shelters in the local area which have been vandalised by smashing the large window area. The local authority seem to be quite quick at repairing these shelters but I was wondering if any modern technology could solve this mindless vandalism or what punitive measures might be suggested to deal with the culprits.

Jimmy Macintosh
27th Aug 2008, 18:16
Unbreakable glass, I believe there used to be an advertisement where a large amount of money was inside a billboard with glass on both sides.

http://gizmodo.com/images/2006/04/3mglass.jpg

Punishment...a set of stocks inplace, clamp said eejit in and use the back of their head as a cigerette stumper.

PaperTiger
27th Aug 2008, 18:49
Perspex really isn't very modern.

'Chuffer' Dandridge
27th Aug 2008, 21:05
Punishment...a set of stocks inplace, clamp said eejit in and use the back of their head as a cigerette stumper.

Make that man the PM.....and have a selection of cricket bats laying nearby...

.....or do you think that putting this vermin in the village stocks would infringe their 'rights'?:E

frostbite
27th Aug 2008, 21:14
Local Council just spent 40,000 on equipping a childrens playground......

Totally wrecked by vandals within days and before the 'opening ceremony'.

BlueWolf
27th Aug 2008, 21:40
Take the do-gooders, the wets, the apologists, the bleeding hearts, the human rights advocates and their lawyers and media toadies, the snivellers, the pinkos, and anyone who's ever complained about vigilantism, and put THEM in the stocks, alongside the vandals. That'll fix 'em.

Oh, and replace the glass with perspex. I mean was anyone actually thinking, with a functioning brain, when they put glass in a bus shelter? Duh :confused::ugh:

C130 Techie
27th Aug 2008, 21:47
.....or do you think that putting this vermin in the village stocks would infringe their 'rights'?

Who cares! Give me one of those bats.

Polycarbonate is the way ahead for durability

mr fish
27th Aug 2008, 23:15
happens all the time round my manor, whats wrong with 3mm perforated steel sheet, last i heard the little f:mad:ers carry knives, not angle grinders!!!

Brakes on
27th Aug 2008, 23:18
I've seen this done in four different countries in Europe. Is there a reason why it has to be glass or are the deciders just too thick to think of anything else?

ShyTorque
28th Aug 2008, 00:09
Sometimes older technology works best. Something like a four foot length of two by two, laid smartly but neatly across the perpetrators' kneecaps from good backswing should help prevent this from happening again.

con-pilot
28th Aug 2008, 00:26
What you lot need is a 'Bus Stop' monkey.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c246/con-pilot/Monkey4-t.jpg

YouTube - Trunk Monkey Compilation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8avOiTUcD4Y)

Eboy
28th Aug 2008, 00:37
Same thing happens in DC. Mostly by mentally-ill homeless people (not youth bent on mischief). They are too out of it to have a concept of punishment or deterrence. They do whatever the voice in their head tells them to do. 30 years ago they would have been institutionalized a long time for their own good. Now, in the interest of political correctness, they have the right to roam and cause harm to themselves and property. A step backward in my view.

pigboat
28th Aug 2008, 00:46
Now, in the interest of political correctness, they have the right to roam and cause harm to themselves and property.

Shhhhhh Eboy. You'll destroy the myth that President Reagan, instead of the ACLU, closed all the institutions and set 'em loose.

con-pilot
28th Aug 2008, 00:53
Sadly Eboy you are very correct. In fact the only time the mentally ill homeless get to have good food, medical care and get clean is when they are caught vandlizing public/private property and are placed in jail, for usually a short period of time.

Thank you Hollywood and the ACLU.

(The Hollywood reference is to the movie "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest".)

And what pigboat said. :ok:

Two's in
28th Aug 2008, 01:48
Not forgetting the other temporary shelter for mentally ill people, or "riding the bus" as we call it here.

angels
28th Aug 2008, 09:48
Anyone remember the Jasper Carrott piece 'Does the nutter on the bus always sit next to you??' :ok:

When I was incarcerated in a mental institution just over a year ago, one of my good pals was a guy who had it in for park benches. He was intelligent and articulate, but when he saw a park bench he just had to attack it.

It just takes a few mis-firing brain cells and all sorts of chaos can occur in the brain. :sad:

Edited to change 'brian' to 'brain'. My brian hurts....:}

chris_tivver
28th Aug 2008, 09:58
Not sure about the US but I've worked in a few homeless shelters in the UK and I'm pretty damn sure it wasn't those guys who routinely smashed up the bus shelters or put graffiti everywhere. Yes there were a lot of them had mental illnesses but smashing a bus shelter usually requires a small element of planning and problem solving
1) I want to break glass
2) I need heavy object
3) Find object
4) break glass

Most of these guys weren't capable of getting past 2 or 3. Those that could were normally well behaved or so out of it on alcohol or drugs that they couldn't be bothered
Sadly a disproportionate number were ex-services

603DX
28th Aug 2008, 11:18
As the name shelter suggests, the idea is to protect people waiting in the street from wind and rain. If the walls are not see-through, there's a good chance that those inside won't see the bus coming, and won't be seen by the driver, so they will literally "miss the bus".

So a degree of up-road transparency is desirable, and given the appalling behaviour of a small minority when hidden from public view (you know the sort of thing), clear vision all round is generally favoured. This leads to the need to use unbreakable glass or polycarbonate, at considerable extra expense - which we all end up paying for one way or another.

Doors to Automatic
28th Aug 2008, 11:27
It is time to unite in action against the rabid liberal-fascism that has taken-over this country against most peoples' will like the most malignant form of cancer that it is.

I found this website and would urge everyone that is fed up of the yobs getting away with it, a lack of any sort of police action or justice and the law-abiding being arrested to join up.

THE NATIONAL VIGILANTE ORGANISATION WILL HELP YOU TO FIGHT THE CRIMINALS AND THUGS IN YOUR AREA ! (http://www.navigor.org.uk/index.php)

Capt.KAOS
28th Aug 2008, 11:41
Take the do-gooders, the wets, the apologists, the bleeding hearts, the human rights advocates and their lawyers and media toadies, the snivellers, the pinkos, and anyone who's ever complained about vigilantism, and put THEM in the stocks, alongside the vandals. That'll fix 'em.Wow... I'm glad you got that off your chest...

Beagle-eye
28th Aug 2008, 11:46
As the thread seems to be drifting towards yoof and vandalism in general Ill add to it..

Field across the river from me was used by a local chap to keep two horses. He erected a simple, but comfortable, stable for them. A year ago he moved house and took his horses with him. The local yoofs started using the abandoned stable as a meeting place and drinking den. Not legal but no real trouble. One night they decided to burn it down for a laugh. They succeeded and, no doubt, enjoyed the antics of the local fire brigade. Problem is they now have nowhere to go and congregate in the corner of the field in the wind and p*****g rain trying to look cool. Bet they are really glad that they destroyed their cozy wee den :(

B-E

Doors to Automatic
28th Aug 2008, 11:55
I'm with BlueWolf on this. I would defy anyone to say that the current mess this country is in is an acceptable state of affairs.

If someone had told me when I was growing up that one day in this country the place would be overrun by yobs, the police would stand by and do absolutely nothing, the government would argue that ever-more lenient punishment is the way forward and anyone forced into defending themselves would get locked up I wouldn't believe it.

ZOOKER
28th Aug 2008, 12:40
A fully-serviceable Thompson would solve the problem, and NO I do not mean a nice blue and red 737 to take them on a New Labour 'rehabiliation holiday'.

Grayfly
28th Aug 2008, 13:11
Why complicate things, crime and anti social behaviour isues can be solved at no extra cost to the taxpayer. We pay for training special forces such as SAS etc. Why not let them train in our urban jungles, taking out the troublemakers in an economic manner, never to trouble the courts, prisons or other resource hungry institutions.

Crime would drop, prisoner numbers would reduce, no need to build more prisons and our 'special forces' would be highly tuned for active service.

G-CPTN
28th Aug 2008, 13:29
Is there an embargo on general active deployment of the military on mainland Britain, just as there is in the USA?
Of course things do happen (the storming of the Iranian Embassy), but it probably needs specific approval by the Government Cabinet.
Anybody know?

Military bases are 'defended' (as is Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle), but how far does their authority extend?

The Trident convoys are policed by the Police, not soldiers (though, I believe a detachment does travel with the convoy).

If you tried to ambush a (non-nuclear) convoy, would the soldiers be entitled to use deadly force to defend it? Can they shoot to kill? Do they even carry live ammunition?

chris_tivver
28th Aug 2008, 13:42
Obviously no-one can comment on the ROE of soldiers in any specific scenario on this forum. However the UK does not have the same legal constraints as the US.

There have been many times in fairly recent history that the UK armed forces have been deployed and used deadly force- many times against the IRA for example

Still not a decision taken lightly I am sure.

Personally I believe that the solution to repeat offenders, prison over-crowding, crminal underclass and the cost of maintaining prisons is easy and was identified hundreds of years ago - exile/transportation.

I suspect that the Australian government won't be keen to be the destination but there are plenty of uninhabited islands. Choose one for men, one for women and send them all there.

Rockall is nice at this time of year I hear (OK maybe a bit small but you get the idea)

Windy Militant
28th Aug 2008, 13:49
Back on thread Polycarb is not the answer they've tried it here in Swindon. When the yobs found that they couldn't break it, they set fire to it.:ugh:

wawkrk
28th Aug 2008, 13:59
I used to pass one bus shelter on the way to Leeds city centre and it was smashed every single weekend and was always replaced within a couple of days.So maybe at least 40 times per year repaired.
I think, the vandals own bus shelter repair companies.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
28th Aug 2008, 15:58
Whilst I generally sympathise with the sentiments here, I have a sneaking suspicion that if these measures WERE introduced, the pages of prune would be flooded with protestations, probably from the same people . . .

. . . assuming the authoroties allowed prune to continue :=

sisemen
29th Aug 2008, 15:44
...and while we are on the subject... what's with all the graffiti on bus and train windows? When I was a mere yoof I was always under the impression that glass could only be scratched with a diamond. Certainly my half-hearted attempts at defying authority were singularly unsuccessful. Its seems that the edge of a coin is sufficient nowadays. Are they making glass softer??

CathayBrat
29th Aug 2008, 18:46
Doors to Auto
From your forum " The Death Penalty is the only answer to feral scum who murder innocent people!The Death penalty is wanted by over 80% of the British people but the government couldn't care less! "
While i am in favour of it (although zooker has a better idea), if it was brought in the "20%" would scream louder than the rest, would get legal aid to fight it, and stall the whole process, so maybe a waste of time.
P.s where do they get these figures from?
PPs, shall place these in my garden now.
http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc351/adsbarnes/claymore-thumb.jpg

PaperTiger
30th Aug 2008, 00:12
No diamonds in my wipers but they've made a right :mad: mess of my windshield.

taxydual
30th Aug 2008, 01:45
I came across a drunken teenager smashing up our village phone box a couple of years ago. He'd demolished the handset and then started on the glass panes. He'd punched out 2 as I arrived, and on the 3rd he cut his wrist. In fact, rather badly, a spurter no less.

He went into instant sobriety, then panic. I did the good first-aid bit and staunched the blood. I made certain he realised that I couldn't call for an ambulance because the phone box was smashed.

Fortunately, I had my mobile with me and called for an ambulance (as well as the police). I was gratified to see him arrested as he entered the ambulance.

A week later, a letter appeared in the local paper from this yob's mother. She was condemning BT for having glass in public telephone boxes and demanding compensation for her son!!!

I now wish I had walked away and left the scum to bleed to death.

corsair
30th Aug 2008, 08:12
While the mindless vandalism is irritating, stupid and unsightly. I stopped shedding tears for smashed bus shelters some time ago. When I realised that most of them are owned by Adshel who cream in millions from advertising on those shelters. They are part of a huge multinational corporation. Same goes for many phone boxes. Haven't you ever noticed how quickly the glass is replaced. It would never happen that quickly with a local authority or a bus company.

They continue to use glass, simply because it's cheaper than any plastic and I suspect is factored into their accounts. But they will use plastic in the case of consistent vandalism. But the majority of bus shelters never get hit at all. It doesn't cost the taxpayers a penny.

I suspect Adshel's statistics would provide interesting reading for anyone seeking to find out where the worst scumbags live, based on the number of attacks on their bus shelter or phone boxes.

I wouldn't worry too much about Adshel's profits. In fact, if you like attacking an Adshel shelter could be considered a political act. An attack on globalisation:ok::=;)

SpringHeeledJack
30th Aug 2008, 12:09
Many years ago one was a telephone engineer and for a period of time was seconded to the payphone section, where most of the payphones were to be found in the good old red telephone box (K2 and K6 versions if memory serves :8). My time was spent mostly with maintenance issues, jammed slots, loose contacts in the receiver etc. However, what was noticeable was the lack of respect afforded to these (then) vital communication devices.

The amount of damage was always worse where more lower income homes were to be found and in places where there was more 'anonymous' foot traffic (town centres, train stations etc) and conversely little where higher income homes and rural settings were to be found, though interestingly there it was nature that would be the culprit, foliage, bird droppings and hungry squirrels!).

The panes of toughened glass were often smashed out, the directories often set on fire, the handset smashed against the metal frame, the old grey payphone housing urinated on, vomited on and every now and then defecated on and the walls and floor by default ........:yuk: This would then put the box out of service for a few days as the "A-Team" would be called in to clean, disinfect and dispose of the ruined mechanism before they could be replaced at great cost....

It has always been a puzzle to me just how hostile the Anglo-Saxons/Scots/Irish are towards those things that are for the benefit of everyone, even those privatised such as bus shelter glass hoardings. In my travels over the years it was very obvious that even in the most run down areas, the citizens of other countries appreciated and respected these 'public' things and they remained, in general, in good working order. Our dear neighbours the Italians however seem to express a desire to scrawl their musings over anything that isn't belonging to private interests and perhaps are the exception in Europe.

I can even remember seeing telephone kiosks that were still working and in use in Harlem, NYC above 110th street where at the time there was 3rd world poverty and it reminded me of Beirut after the un-civil war, yet the residents appreciated the need to communicate and they left the payphones alone, although the phone directories were damaged and/or gone in most cases.

Perhaps in the UK/Irl the citizens are doomed to experience grubby/broken trains, buses, stations, service, facilities and so on until the mentality changes and in general things are respected. I say start the brain washing young and mould the future into a better society, because if things carry on in the direction they are going there will be more than broken glass in bus shelters to worry about.

Regards

SHJ