PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Acrobat Reader

EGTE
3rd Mar 2001, 03:49
I'm running Internet Exploder 5 on Windows ME and have Adobe Acrobat 4.

How do I get Acrobat to open in my browser when attempting to read .PDF files? it worked on my old PC, where do I tell IE to look for Acrobat?

------------------
It's hard to soar with the Eagles when you work with Turkeys!

DreamCatcher
3rd Mar 2001, 11:34
Using same setup - can't say I've tried to open a .pdf 'in the browser'. Any .pdf I've wanted, I've downloaded anyway (usually very small).

What happens if you drag and drop a .pdf onto the brwoser window?

------------------
If you're not on the edge, then you're taking up too much space.

Icarus
3rd Mar 2001, 18:02
What exactly is happening?
If you (online)link to a .pdf file does Acrobat Reader start at all? and if so is it in it's own window with IE running in the background in its own window? Or does Acrobat not start at all?

Stephen John
3rd Mar 2001, 22:39
Ensure that a shortcut to Adobe Reader is on your desktop

It should then open within IE

You may also ensure you have a copy of Adobe Reader 4

Hope it works for you

EGTE
3rd Mar 2001, 22:49
Thanks for the replies so far gents.
Wossapnin is.....
on clicking on a link to a .PDF document, the document is being downloaded to my "temp" file. Acrobat Reader 4.0 then opens in a seperate window to display the document. All well and good you may say but.......

If that document has hyperlinks to other documents, when I click on the link I get a message telling me "Document XXXX does not exist" - I know it does!

Airbanda
4th Mar 2001, 03:30
Re not found links from Acrobat downloads, had this problem trying to view the UK AIP.

Couple of possibilities, you need a clean version of acrobat 4, somtimes updates from acrobat 3 can perform oddly, better to uninstall 3 and then install 4.

Download utilities such as Real's Download Demon can interfere with the links, if you are using something similar try again with it disabled.

(Edited for carity after reading posting)

[This message has been edited by Airbanda (edited 03 March 2001).]

EGTE
4th Mar 2001, 03:54
Gents,
Thanks for all the info.
It was the AIP that gave me problems too!

My problem was cured by deleting Acrobat Reader 4 and downloading and installing it again. I must have had a duff copy first time around.

------------------
It's hard to soar with the Eagles when you work with Turkeys!