PDA

View Full Version : Wannabe Pilot needing your help and advise.

GigaNu
27th Aug 2008, 09:38
Hello Everyone,

Firstly I am sorry if this is not the right section to be posting in, but as you can see this is my first post and I thought it would be best suited here.

I have just finished the International Baccalaureate in Exeter and achieved the diploma, I am 18 and would love to become a pilot, but I am not sure what route to take now?

I have looked around at universities and seen that some of them do offer a pilot training course, but does anyone know how useful that course is? Will it help me get a job with an airline or would I be better going to straight to an airline now and doing a pilot training scheme like what is offered by etihad?

I am willing to travel globally for the right position, but could you help give me some more advise?

Thanks

Jonathan

Timelord
27th Aug 2008, 10:06
Jonathon

You will get lots of rude replies here suggesting that you trawl this website for all kinds of debate that has already happened.

Before you do anything else get a CAA medical. There may be some medical reason why you cannot be a pilot and it is best to find out before you commit further.

Secondly, as you will see elsewhere on this site, the market for pilots is very depressed at the moment. Although there are still a few sponsored training schemes around your chances of gaining a slot at 18 are, I would have thought, vanishingly small.

So, advice: go to University and study something that will get you a job if you cannot be a pilot. When you have your degree then the market may be different and you can then examine the options for training.

Good luck

redsnail
27th Aug 2008, 10:11
There's 2 sections to the Wannabe's. If you have a look at the other section there's reams and reams of posts and threads answering your question.

There's limited opportunities for sponsorship and very competitive. Spend some time trawling through the forums about these or you can look up CTC or OAA training organisations and their websites.

Then there's the infamous modular ("part time") or integrated (full time) debate.

Are you in good health? Any migraines, diabetes or vision problems - esp colour vision? Get all of those checked before spending any money. You could go to the CAA and pay for a very expensive class 1 medical OR you could download the JAR FCL-3 requirements and ask your doctor to check you out.

However, either way, you're going to need a fair old wedge of cash.

The great degree or not degree debate too. I spent over 8 years working at a uni and as a tool for personal development etc is in my honest opinion of limited value. Using a degree as a fall back with no experience is of limited value too. Better off getting a decent trade and some life (read WORK) experiences. It'll make you grow up a million times faster than student life.

If you WANT to do a degree, do one in something you enjoy. Don't think that an aero engineering degree will be better than a computer science degree. It won't be if you want to be a pilot. However, degrees cost money.

I don't have a degree and I'm a captain on a bizjet. :ok:

Jox
27th Aug 2008, 21:05
Jonathan,

Ignore any reply that attempts to put you off pontificating.

If this is your dream you can and will succeed if you overcome and adapt.

Times are hard, market forces do play an important part, there are any number of youngsters and middle aged starters with frozen ATPL's desperate for their first job but if this is what you have to do then you will overcome if you have the determination to do so.

I had no degree when I started, when I made the left seat I did my degree through the Open University which I thoroughly enjoyed and gave me a distraction from what I do for a living.

Flying training costs an inordinate amount of money which someone needs to pay, if you decide on the University route which demonstrates a significant amount of educational acumen, then try to choose one of the fourteen with a University Air Squadron which may at least allow you to fly whilst there if selected.

Please bear in mind their members are subject of rigorous medical requirements i.e. no glasses as you must pass the RAF medical requirements for pilots. This however will only provide about ten hours of flying per year, will give you an insight to the air force in an attempt to tempt to into joining them and from what I was told the other day by my right seat partner, can be used towards your PPL although I may be corrected by another.

Anything that gives you a foot up on the next candidate is an advantage, a degree may do that but as mentioned above pick one you have an interest in and do not plump for an aviation related one just because you think it will give you an advantage, it generally doesn't.

I now have a sociology degree which allows me to play mind games with some people for fun but has improved my planning, organising, problem solving skills and has taught me a lot about critical evaluation which is a definite skill in the industry.

Follow Redsnail's advice with regard to medical suitability that is an absolute primary.

We were all wannabe's once, we have all taken different routes to get where we want to be, some ex-military who generally do very well after their service with a bit of effort to convert to a new licensing regime, the modular pilots who have tried extremely hard and been determined to succeed and then the integrated who have come up with the hard cash generally through loans in the hope of securing a decent job reasonably quickly.

I fly with them all, they are all equally as good, the ex-military are a little older and more experienced, the modular a little younger but with a good background in flying the aircraft and the integrated younger still but they are all generally good pilots just with different experience which has made them what they are. I enjoy learning new things from them all, they all bring different skills to the party.

Select a route and go for it, I admire you desire, the key is in your own pocket, for everyone that says no, go round them, prove you are up to it and strive hard to impress, it is down to you to achieve what you want, lots will knock you, please remember what my first instructor said "anything that does not kill you only makes you stronger and wiser, do not die in this aircraft!".

I wish you the best of luck.

Jox :ok:

preduk
27th Aug 2008, 21:26
I decided to go to University when I was 17 to do a Law degree, there seems to be many of us who have studied things such as mech engineering, aero engineering, maths, geography, computing, law etc...

If you decide University is the way for you, do a course that interests you and above all has real career prospects - there is nothing worst than doing a "mickey mouse" degree. I would also advise staying away from these Airline degrees; the point of a degree is to either use it to develop a full time career OR use it as a backup career - doing a degree in the airline industry is basically putting all your eggs in the one basket.

I'm currently doing the Modular course, not that I have anything against the Integrated course it just suits my financial and personal needs better.

P.S Why does everyone seem to be getting advice and advise mixed up these days? I've seen it on a number of posts! :confused: