PDA

View Full Version : Seat shortage

MUFC_fan
26th Aug 2008, 21:44
Credit crunch?

The GB market is still going strong by the look of things. People seem to be ignoring the crunch as sacrificing anything but their holidays.

I was in my local city last week and was in a travel agent. There was a man who wanted to go anywhere with anyone that night from Manchester. The woman made a search and found nothing. He was not fussy. He wanted a package holiday to somewhere hot all-inclusive but he didn't care where it was.

This was a perfect example of the desire for Britons to go on holiday! As airlines reduce their seat number this winter and will do next summer, and the price of fuel drops - could we see a shortage of seats on the market?

flightlevel26
26th Aug 2008, 22:11
MUFC, the reduction in capacity will drive up yield as demand outstrips supply. Don;t forget though that there was overcapacity in the first place.

The reason tour operators aren't seeing a drop in demand is that britons see a holiday as a necessity rather than a luxury so it's one of the last things they consider cutting back on. I recently took sight of a MORI survey in which the majority commented that they would consider borrowing money before going without the annual holiday.

Aisle2c
27th Aug 2008, 12:07
The rubbish weather can't have hurt either !

befree
27th Aug 2008, 13:55
All the package seats will be taken in August. The price will be adjusted to make that happen. It will never be viable to have so much capacity that everyone can get a cheap deal in August as most of it would then be unused for the rest of the year. You will find plenty of deals at the end of next month. Most people are going to do anything to keep their main summer trip but out of seasion bookings are going to be very low.

wouldhave
27th Aug 2008, 16:41
Sorry but I have to disagree befree. I am looking for 2 seats to Kefalonia from Manchester for 11 Sept for myself.

Currently Thomsonfly are asking 269 per person not including baggage charges.

There are only 14 seats showing left on the flight and in my experience (13 yrs as a travel agent) these prices wont come down any more.

I dont call 269 for a mid september flight hence out of season a cheap deal.

Bookings are still coming in strong so I do agree with flightlevel26 that most people feel a holiday a neccessity.