PDA

View Full Version : Anybody used PICUS for 100PIC modular Licence issue

cycles
26th Aug 2008, 19:45
Hi Guys,

Have heard of people using PICUS from their flight tests to count towards licence issue for modular CPL, however nobody I have spoken to at my flight school has actually had to rely on it. I was hoping that somebody on here might be able to confirm that they actually had their licence issued relying on this.

Thanks for any help you can offer!!!

SpamCanDriver
26th Aug 2008, 20:35
Yes I did! Altough it was nearly five years ago now but I doubt its changed

As far as I understood any time you were doing a skills test i.e. PPL, CPL, IR etc you didn't actually hold the rating yet so couldn't act as PIC. But seeing as were effectively in control of the flight you could log it as PICUS as long as you passed the test!

I also used 5hrs PIC gliding aswell which saved me a few hundred quid!

Im sure it will be in LASORS someone if u wish to get the "Official lowdown"!

BigGrecian
26th Aug 2008, 23:38
Been covered many many many times on this forum.

No such thing as SPIC for modular students.

Flight time which resulted in a pass from a test may be counted as PIC, which would have been logged in the PIC or P1 column.

Blinkz
27th Aug 2008, 00:09
Ok you guys are confusing a few terms here. PICUS is what you log for a SUCCESSFUL flight test. An un successful test gets logged as dual. PICUS counts as P1 time towards licence issue.

SPIC is only used by integrated courses.

IrishJetdriver
27th Aug 2008, 00:12
If you passed the test/check it goes in the P1 column of your logbook. if you failed then it goes in the "dual" column. I reckon anyway !!

Sometimes you need to exclude P1S time from total P1 but you are usually told when this is required.

cycles
27th Aug 2008, 09:15
Thanks everyone for their reply's. Just wanted confirmation that exam PICUS has actually been used for the stated scenario, which Spam Can Driver has confirmed. Means I can save a bit of cash which, as everyone her would know, is always welcome.

Cheers

Cycles

jb5000
27th Aug 2008, 10:08
Indeed I sat my CPL with about 97/98 hours PIC. After the test I had an annoying 99.8 hours so I went and did one circuit in a Robin!

Definitely counts, don't worry.

hughesyd
27th Aug 2008, 21:13
how would a checkout ride count then?, is this PICUS ir just PIC?. If i am flying a new type and it takes me 2, 1 hour flights to get checked out. heard if the instructor doesent have to intervine its PICUS, if they do have to intervine its duel!!. :ugh: sorry to throw in more confusion but just want some clarity, seems lots of conflicting views and logbooks full of tipex!!

BigGrecian
27th Aug 2008, 21:23
Only one pilot can log PIC in a single pilot aircraft under JAA regulations.

So if the instructor is logging it at all - then you will be logging the flight as dual.

If you are logging it as PIC the instructor can't log it all.

At all the clubs/schools I've attended, the checkout is logged as dual as instruction is normally provided even if only a small amount, and the instructor is normally paid. The checkout is also normally also provided for insurance purposes and a qualified instructor must provide that checkout. Therefore the instructor is providing a service and instructing, and therefore they log it as P1 or dual given, you should log it as dual.

I've heard of some people being told to log it otherwise but I can't see at all how it would comply legally.

IrishJetdriver
27th Aug 2008, 22:01
The front pages of the CAA CAP403 (?) log book explain it all !!!!

DarkSoldier
28th Aug 2008, 08:00
The front pages of the CAA CAP403 (?) log book explain it all !!!!

CAP 407 I believe...