PDA

View Full Version : IP tracing

Keygrip
26th Aug 2008, 19:10
More than happy to pay for a *good* one - but wondering on which programme anyone recommends for getting information on IP numbers.

I'd be curious about the information in "headers" on e-mails but I really want it to track down where the listeners are to my radio station (http://s4.secondstreams.com:8430).

The streaming server gives me real time data of IP's that are listening - but I'd like to find out who they are, where they are and - if possible - how to contact them.

I've seen a bunch from Germany, Australia, USA, China and - today - London.

I'm not advertising this stream - so how do they know about it? It was designed for "Second Life" - but the listeners would have to be on "my land" to listen to it, and I know they are not.

Gertrude the Wombat
26th Aug 2008, 19:47
Starting point is a whois lookup, for which you don't need a programme[sic] and don't need to pay anybody.
I'd like to find out who they are
The whois might give you the ISP, but you'd then have to get the ISP to tell you who the user was, for which a warrent issued by an appropriate local authority would be a jolly good start.
where they are
Well, you can quite often find out a vague hint as to geographical location, eg if an IP address is owned by an ISP in Botswana there's at least a chance that the user who has that IP address at a particular time is in Botswana ... but you won't do much better than that without a warrant.
how to contact them
Again, start with a warrant.

Or, you could just pay a private detective lots of money and not enquire too closely into the legality of their methods, I suppose.

BOAC
26th Aug 2008, 19:51
Since 99% of your l'isteners' we have IPs allocated by their ISPs, I cannot see how you can do more than locate the ISP?

Keygrip
26th Aug 2008, 20:08
Bugger!!!!

green granite
26th Aug 2008, 20:44
Could you not add a page to the site asking them to sign a guest book and leave a message? At least some of them might respond

don't_ask_me
26th Aug 2008, 21:58
Not looking for owt like this are you?

IP Address Locator - Enter an IP address to find its location - Lookup Country Region City etc (http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?GetLocation)

There's also ones with fancy maps as well.:ok:

Ok, I think I'll get out of the computer forum now.

don't_ask