PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Scary Movies

Jimmy Macintosh
26th Aug 2008, 17:12
This is a tough one...

My wife is in a scary movie kick, I need to be clear on this, it's not about gore, but scare and fear. I'm trying to find some really good scary movies that won't repulse but will make her scared to go outside type of thing. (She can't stand demonic evil/posession, Omen was one she did comment on)

I've checked out the IMDB top 50 list, and searched through the web for other lists but it seems most of the lists are caught up in nostalgia more than anything else.

Currently, movies we've seen that have had her scared and she enjoyed:

-The Frighteners (Michael J Fox)
-Wolf Creek
-The Shining
-Saw

Movies that never worked:

-The Thing (the effects had lost realism)
-Saw II (the unknown had gone and it was just about torture and sickness)
-Saw III (as per II)

We saw, but felt neutral about
-Polergeist (Good start, ending became a bit too corny)
-Amitiville Horror (remake, was reasonably good, but not up there as great)

On the list to be viewed:

-Feast
-Sleepy Hollow
-Cat People

Movies I want to get hold of but not sure how they hold up nowadays or don't know if they're actually any good.

-American Werewolf in London (Does it look cheesy by todays effects standards)
-Nightmare on Elm Street
-Halloween (original (too aged?) or remake (just gore not scary?))
-Jaws
-28 Days later
-The Hitcher (Original)
-Carrie

As an aside the scariest for me is Arachnophobia.

Any suggestions?
Comments on the movies shown?

Any and all help appreciated!

(Gore can be a part of the movie, but a movie purely to repulse isn't the intention)

Ozzy
26th Aug 2008, 17:18
The Exorcist (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070047/)
The Omen (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075005/)
The Ring (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298130/)
Halloween (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077651/)

Jimmy Macintosh
26th Aug 2008, 17:24
I like the idea of the Ring and Halloween...

I've heard that the Ring is genuinally scary, is the second one any good?

Does the original Halloween still work? I've read comments that it is too slow paced by todays standards.

Ozzy
26th Aug 2008, 17:36
Haven't seen Halloween in a long time but any movie with Jamie Lee Curtis in it can't be that bad ;)

The Omen is very good and should scare your wife!

Ozzy

Captain_djaffar
26th Aug 2008, 17:44
excorcist did the job for ma girl....

garp
26th Aug 2008, 17:48
The Others is one of the creepiest movies I've ever seen. Creepy awith a capital C.

The Others is a 2001 psychological horror film by the Spanish/Chilean director Alejandro Amenábar, starring Nicole Kidman, and in part based on Henry James' classic, The Turn of the Screw. In the United States, it was rated PG-13 for thematic elements and frightening moments and runs around 100 minutes.

It won eight Goya Awards including awards for Best Film and Best Director. This was the first Spanish film ever to receive the Best Film Award at the Goyas (Spain's national film awards) with not a single word of Spanish spoken in it.

Nearly There
26th Aug 2008, 17:55
The Grudge...watched in a dark room
The Descent

Il ask the mrs for more when she comes in...she loves her horrors..:ok:

Richard Taylor
26th Aug 2008, 18:39
Salems Lot.:eek:

MSF
26th Aug 2008, 18:44
I saw a group of German students scared sh1tl3ss by The Prince of Darkness, one of Carpenters best.
I also loved The Thing.

FlyingOfficerKite
26th Aug 2008, 18:49
'Hostel' and 'Hostel 2' are quite scary

'Funny Games US' is a little bizarre

'Texas Chainsaw Massacre'

'The Eye'

all good stuff

WALSue
26th Aug 2008, 19:01
The Eye, Grudge and Ring all good films if you watch the originals
Dark Water is another good one

Nearly There
26th Aug 2008, 19:02
When Darkness Falls..is a good un

chiglet
26th Aug 2008, 19:12
Psycho...
Terminator is quite scary, as is Predator
watp,iktch

Jimmy Macintosh
26th Aug 2008, 19:13
I'm burning out the IMDB with constant scouring now...

Which Salems Lot though, 2 are listed both as (TV), one from 1979.

Is it a good movie in the classic sense or is it believable?

I know using the term believable is a bit out there especially when it comes to horrors, but are you sucked in? Do you genuinely fear for the characters are you scared when the bad guys appear?

The thing was a let down for her as she wasn't sucked in, it felt like she was watching a movie. Whereas with Wolf Creek she was shouting at the characters "WHY ARE YOU GOING BACK??? RUN!!!" I think part of the success was due to it not requiring much in the way of special effects.

We did see 30 days of night, that one was OK. It was believable enough.

Unfortunately, a lot of this stems from the visual effects and settings.

A lot of great leads so far, my list is growing immensely. The biggest question on any is the "realism feel" though, if it doesn't look right she'll not like it.

DAL208
26th Aug 2008, 19:28
A big horror film buff myself. Love them, very few films have ever scared me.

Shining is chilling, not scary but definately chilling.
Omen is good, but is dated. Same for excorcist, but definately worth watching, esp if you try notice the hidden demonic faces in the film.

Nightmare on Elm st is on eof my fave ever horror films, in all honesty it isnt THAT scary, but it is a real classic and very enjoyable.

Excorcism of Emily Rose was quite chilling, similar to excorcist.

Didnt find the 'Eye' scary in the slightest, but if all the japanese horror films are the same...same goes for the ring, however the ring is a good watch...the american version is actually better imo.

One film not mentioned yet, which is my favourite horror film is Stephen Kings IT. It was the only film to really scare me as a kid...and is still pretty chilling now. Watching it, you have to rememmber it was a 'made for tv movie' but it was so good it got a real cult status. Pennywise truly is the best evil character ive seen in a film..love that film.

Jimmy Macintosh
26th Aug 2008, 19:45
That's a good point about chilling. We have seen the Exorcism of Emily Rose. As you say it didn't scare as much but it was disturbing.

I know she won't watch the Omen.

I remember watching IT when it first came out, didn't do much for me, but I was quite cynical back then. I think I expected it to be a lot scarier as many people I know had read the book and wouldn't even think about watching it. Might be worth a second attempt.

Currently liking the idea of:

The Ring
Halloween
The Others
The Grudge
Descent
The Eye

Ones I still need to figure out if the effects are believable, but like the sound of them:

Salems Lot
Prince of Darkness
Texas Chainsaw Massacre

I had forgotten about Terminator, I am now considering at least Alien as well.

Anyone heard about the Howling and Dog Soldiers?

Richard Taylor
26th Aug 2008, 19:55
I think the one I was thinking of was the original, which must be 1979 or thereabouts, it had David Soul in it (which was scary enough in itself! :} )

Beatriz Fontana
26th Aug 2008, 20:05
The Fog. Probably wouldn't scare me now, but certainly did when I was younger!

C130 Techie
26th Aug 2008, 20:22
Plenty have made me jump over the years but the one that really used to scare me was The Devil Rides Out

Rule3
26th Aug 2008, 20:35
Ju-On Brilliant Japanese movie. The Grudge is a very poor copy.
Psycho and Homicidal, 1961 film with a similar plot.
The Others.
Wolf Creek.
Saw.

Ju-On is very :mad:scary.

tony draper
26th Aug 2008, 21:16
I remember seeing the original Cat People when I was a wee sprog,and that scared me,as did Quatermass on the telly, that scared a whole generation,cant think of a single movie I have found frightening since I turned 12,modern movies are just in yer face, you see the monster,and you know it is just a man in a rubber suit or puter graphics, the most frightening is when the menace is just hinted at or just seen in fleeting glimpse like the original Alien, it is one's own imagination given just a hint of the horror that caused fear,once you have seen the monster under yer bed,they are no longer frightening.
IMHO anyway.
:)

PaperTiger
26th Aug 2008, 21:18
Not a "traditional" horror flim, but Deathwatch (http://cinepinion.*************/2008/06/deathwatch.html)is memorable. So memorable I don't remember where I saw it, just that I did.

(Definitely not a chickflick though).

cml387
26th Aug 2008, 21:29
I was really scared by one of the stories in the Ealing film Dead Of Night

The one with the mirror.

And I also vote for The Others

frostbite
26th Aug 2008, 21:41
Another vote for The Others, although I would have said it's much more sinister than scary.

Bet hardly anyone has ever correctly guessed the ending.

Jimmy Macintosh
26th Aug 2008, 22:10
I'm excited about The Others,

A couple of suggestions from my office:

The Fog (original, anyone seen this recently, does it still hold up?)
Mist
Salems lot
The Hitcher (Rutger Hauer)

One also mentioned about a house where there is a Ghost/spirit trying to break in, but he can't think of what it's called.

Some excellent options so far, might have to start renting rather than buying as there are a lot more than I thought would be suggested.

Wings Of Fury
26th Aug 2008, 22:29
The Others for me too, was great.

Has anyone seen "The Innocents" I believe it was a black and white film, maybe circa 1950s. Saw it when I was quite young but never again. :eek:
"The Others" seemed to remind me of it.

DAL208
26th Aug 2008, 22:51
Others is very good film.

con-pilot
26th Aug 2008, 22:53
The Fog (original, anyone seen this recently, does it still hold up?)

Yes, it has been on some of the free movie TV channels here lately. I still like the original, however, my wife likes the new version better and tell me that the only reason I liked the first one was of because Adrienne Barbeau and Jamie Lee Curtis star in the original.

My reply is, well duh, hell yeah! :p

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c246/con-pilot/photo19.jpg

(Receives frosty look from Mrs. C-P. :\)

26th Aug 2008, 22:55
THE QUATERMASS EXPERIMENT

(Original ver)

Regards

Richo77
27th Aug 2008, 00:00
Jimmy,

Youve hit on some good ones, but you have to watch Rosemarys baby, still scary after all these years. Alien is good, Aliens is better but you have to watch them both. Stop there though, 3 and 4 were rubbish. The original Hitcher is another good un. If you like 28 days later leave it there i thought 28 weeks later was boring, same story without the shock value.

R

PaperTiger
27th Aug 2008, 00:48
the only reason I liked the first one was of because Adrienne Barbeau and Jamie Lee Curtis star in the original.Now there's a lovely pair.

Binoculars
27th Aug 2008, 05:19
I'm with Richo. Rosemary's Baby is chilling stuff and stands up now as well as when it was made; probably my all time favourite of the genre.

I confess to a weakness for Count Yorga, Vampire cos I was too thick to see the ending coming and it scared the crap out of me.

Don't forget Play Misty for Me, a much overlooked movie. If you don't jump a few times in that you're already dead.

I don't think this necessarily fits the criteria but for sheer suspense as opposed to horror, a b/w French classic from the 50's called Wages of Fear is one of the finest examples ever made.

TFlyguy
27th Aug 2008, 07:38
The Entity

When a Stranger Calls (the original NOT the remake)

Little Blue
27th Aug 2008, 07:49
The Haunting..the original, not the pisspoor remake with Catherine Zeta-Jones.
The scariest film I have EVER watched. Atmospheric, black and white and implied terror rather than visual.
On another level, I actually found Jeepers Creepers to be a fine scary flick..
But, seriously, look up The Haunting.....you won't regret it !

warloc67
27th Aug 2008, 07:57
Pet Cemetery and The Stand, both based on Stephen King’s books are excellent and scared the crap out of me.

Cap'n Arrr
27th Aug 2008, 10:46
As has been said, Alien/Aliens are very good (especially considering their age)

If it's on DVD yet I thought Untraceable was very good - kinda like Saw I guess, differing in having a plot in this one :E

Not really a horror movie, but if you haven't seen it go and get a copy of Pan's Labyrinth too - that'll really REALLY draw you in:ok:

BlueWolf
27th Aug 2008, 10:58
Don't like scary movies as a general rule, they frighten me, but I do appreciate the good ones which are a bit more cerebral and a bit less chainsaw. Ghost Ship (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Ship_(film)) scared the f**k out of me.
:uhoh:

FlyingOfficerKite
27th Aug 2008, 11:59
'Play Misty for me' is a good one - not typical of Clint Eastwood but good.

benyfly
27th Aug 2008, 12:06
:8"fallen"

No gore, but you will never walk down the street and look at someone in the same way.

all the best

benyfly:suspect:

Le Pen
27th Aug 2008, 12:55
Cape Fear..... Both of them
and
Dead Calm

Not horror films but have given me sweaty palms even though I know the outcome

Love

LP

Dan D'air
27th Aug 2008, 15:29
You could try "The Village", again, not a traditional horror but IMHO very clever.

NOLAND3
27th Aug 2008, 15:42
If you get the Ring or the Grudge make sure it's the Japanese originals not the American remakes... :eek:

Jimmy Macintosh
27th Aug 2008, 15:44
Firstly,

Two successes,

The Others scared the c**p out of her.
The Descent had her looking at the back of a cushion for a large part of it.

Dead Calm and Cape Fear, I remember them being excellent.

I had heard that about the haunting, seriously considering it.

Some more excellent suggestions...my dark DVD collection is growing rapidly (got Carrie for $3.99, that is in dollars!)

Thanks so far!:ok:

Cap'n Arrr
28th Aug 2008, 06:32
I can't think of the title, but there was a recent one which was kind of (in a roundabout way) similar to Cape Fear, with Johnny Depp starring as a writer in it. Not really scary either (I'm getting off topic)

The Exorcist is excellent:ok:

ceebs
28th Aug 2008, 09:35
Another vote for The Haunting here! The original is a really wonderful film that scares but does it by showing you nothing, oddly! Would also make a recommendation of another old black and white film called Night Of The Demon. Its another very creepy film, which is unfortunately let down by a couple of ropey special effects, which i think were put in by the studio against the directors wishes. Still very creepy though, and worth a watch.

Other ones i recall as being worth a watch:-

Dog Soldiers (slightly tongue in cheek film, but fairly effective)
Hellraiser (first one only!)
Quatermass And The Pit (The Hammer film version is very good, but the original TV version works very well too)
An American Werewolf In London (still stand up pretty well)
The Orphanage (Spanish film, very creepy)
Videodrome

One thats just out on DVD here that i want to see is a Spanish one called "REC" which has been getting decent write ups. Anyone seen it?

tony draper
28th Aug 2008, 09:52
A rather disturbing one rather than scary Jackobs Ladder.:ok:

Nick Riviera
28th Aug 2008, 12:07
Watched the original 'Salems Lot' when I was about 15. It scared the crap out of me and my friends. Films don't really scare me now but I saw it again recently and still got an eerie feeling. There's a great evil atmosphere throughout that film.

Also agree that 'Night of the Demon' is a cracking film. It was the producer who added shots of the demon to the film after filming had finished, much to the disgust of the writer and director who disowned the final cut. So it is best to ignore the ropey special effects when the demon appears and appreciate that it was never meant to be seen. The film is a lot more creepy when you realise this.

Doctor Cruces
28th Aug 2008, 13:33
First saw "Jaws" when doing the Firemans strike back in the 70s.
When that head appeared in the hole in the bottom of that fishing boat, I swear there was not one bum still on a seat.

Brilliant.

Dic C

Rather be Gardening
28th Aug 2008, 15:57
"Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte" with Bette Davies and Olivia de Havilland - Charlotte Hollis, an aging recluse deluded into a state of dementia by horrible memories and hallucinations, lives in a secluded house where, thirty-seven years before, John Mayhew her married lover, was beheaded and mutilated by an unknown assailant....... Frightened the living daylights out of me, but not as much as....

"Don't Look Now" with Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie. Had to sleep with the lights on for a week after watching that.:uhoh:

frostbite
28th Aug 2008, 17:01
Which reminds me - wasn't Rosemary's Baby with Bette Davis & Susannah York well qualified for the scary tag?

Edit to add : You're quite right Mr D., haven't a clue what I was thinking of either!

tony draper
28th Aug 2008, 17:15
Don't think Bette Davis & Susannah York were in Rosemary's Baby? unless it's a remake?
:)

621andy
28th Aug 2008, 18:39
Mrs Andy suggests the following:

Seven

The Ring

Emily Rose (based on a real woman from Klingenberg(D), just down the road from where we live when we're home)

She also suggested Hannibal Rising(?) not sure of the title. But says its rather gory too:ooh:

She could probly recommend more, but doesn't know the English names- They come up with some bluddy stupid titles in Germany that bear absolutely no resemblance to the originals:=

Jimmy Macintosh
28th Aug 2008, 20:12
Just was in the local second hand DVD/book store and picked up:

Fog (John Carpenters)
Hills have Eyes (Wes Cravens)
Jeepers Creepers
Ghost Ship
28 days later

Didn't have the others I was looking for.

Going to have a Horrorfest this weekend, I'll let you know the updates.

Some more to add to the list...

buzzc152
28th Aug 2008, 20:32
I'm very suprised no-one has mentioned "White Noise" starring Michael Keaton. A fairly recent flick, not gory but made the hairs on my neck stand up. As a bit of film buff, I'd say this is one of the few genuinely scary films I've seen.

On the gory side, "Hostel" is an excellent scary movie......... really quite disturbing in parts.

JonF
28th Aug 2008, 20:43
Creep (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381966/) is worth a look

candoo
28th Aug 2008, 21:15
I always thought "Carrie" to be a tad disturbing

JennyB
28th Aug 2008, 21:51
Love my horror, like others can recommend The Descent, Ju-On and the Others, some of my favourites are:

The Wicker Man(original version) One of the most chilling endings to a film

The Vanishing(original version again) - Excellent film in French and Dutch, can't believe the original director made such a balls up himself of the American remake, same can be said of Michael Haneke for for my next choice.

Funny Games(again the original) Very disturbing, surprising lack of graphic violence, the imagination can do a lot more.

Audition(crazy Japanese film)

Rec - Recent Spanish horror, scared the hell out of me

The Orphanage - again Spanish, very atmospheric

In the Mouth of Madness - My favorite John Carpenter movie

R-Point - Korean Vietnam war horror, bit Jacobs Ladder vibe

Some not to bother with, anything by Eli Roth, Cabin Fever, Hostel and Hostel 2, terrible movies, badly directed, acted , and written, Would only appeal to "Comic Book Store Guy" types.

Most of the ones i like suggestive, rather than graphic, an increasing sense of dread and terror far more scary than just gore and trying to show how somebody can be tortured with a drill and blow-torch in full detail(See Eli Roth)

andij253
28th Aug 2008, 22:54
From a girlie point of view:
28 days later - excellent
I am legend - clever but didn't like the ending
Seven - good
The Birds - dated but scary
The Hitcher (Rutger Hauer) - very good
Event Horizon - good
Final Destination - good but a bit silly
From dusk till dawn - as above and datedly gory - but does have George Clooney
Clockwork Orange - disturbingly scary
The Ring / The Grudge - scary but a bit lacking (haven't seen the originals)
The Cell - scary and gory
Pitch Black - if you like a bit of sci fi and vin diesel
The Langoliers - quite longwinded and very dated now but keeps you guessing -scary rather than gory

Rollingthunder
29th Aug 2008, 00:29
"The Ninth Gate" was pretty good as was "Frequency".

CarltonBrowne the FO
29th Aug 2008, 11:32
I find Pushing Tin (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120797/) a particularly scary movie, but that may just be me...

Barkly1992
29th Aug 2008, 11:35
The Exorcist - no argument

Binoculars
29th Aug 2008, 13:34
Wasn't Pushing Tin a comedy? :uhoh: It was, I'm just not sure it was meant to be.

The Exorcist is the ultimate scary movie for those indoctrinated as Catholics. I imagine everyone else thought it was silly. It's in my top ten of all time. Make what you wish of that.

FlyingOfficerKite
30th Aug 2008, 23:15
The Strangers (2008) is scary - just released

FOK:)

jetset lady
31st Aug 2008, 13:26
Not so much a horror film, but one that always got me for the creepiness factor was Duel.

Jsl

Airist
31st Aug 2008, 14:22
This being an aviation-type place, I'm surprised no-one's mentioned "Night Flier" (sic). Stephen King. Utterly daft, sometimes even laugh-aloud comical.. But in places, also truly frightening. And I didn't see the ending coming at all, though my fellow-watcher said he did.

Also, if you want an old-fashioned, intelligent scare, the one-off BBC drama "The Stone Tape" is worth looking for on vid. Starring a young and v gorgeous Jane Asher, it's a ghost story with so much atmosphere you can hardly move for it.

Amelia_Flashtart
31st Aug 2008, 16:57
I can't think of the title, but there was a recent one which was kind of (in a roundabout way) similar to Cape Fear, with Johnny Depp starring as a writer in it. Not really scary either (I'm getting off topic)

I am guessing that one would be "Secret Window" which was a pretty amazing movie with a twist which scared the hell out of several of my friends who saw it

621andy
31st Aug 2008, 17:51
Someone mentioned Ghost Ship - started off so well, then went a bit crap at the end I seem to remember.

Shmoo
31st Aug 2008, 19:46
Polanski's "Repulsion", starring a young and delectable Catherine Deneuve, always did it for me.

Richard Taylor
31st Aug 2008, 20:19
Yeah, the plot seemed after a while to disap

Dan Gerous
31st Aug 2008, 21:33
Zombie movies are a no no for me, they give me nightmares for days after. The new style of japanese horror movies and their American copies are quite disturbing. A recent goodie was 30 days of night. The original texas chainsaw massacre was a scary one, but the one film that stands out for me is Phantasm, it scared the shit out of me. I saw this in the cinema at APC in Belize, and I am not kidding, for about a week I wouldn't go into the shower block unless I could hear someone else was in there. The film was good but it was the ending that got me...:ooh:

dead_pan
31st Aug 2008, 21:49
Some old-ish classics which did it for me:

The Eyes of Laura Mars - a very creepy film
Don't Look Now - pretty shocking ending
American Werewolf in London - had some excellent moments e.g. the part when the duo were being stalked by the beast on the moors, also the bit when the American appears to wake up from his dream. The shower scene with Jenny Agutter was particularly memorable for other reasons...

More recent fayre:

Dog Soldiers
Alien & Alien II

Concur with previous comments on the likes of Salems Lot and The Omen.

kotoyebe
1st Sep 2008, 09:08
What about Signs with Mel Gibson and Joaquin Pheonix.

The scene where they are watching a video of a kids birthday party, and they finally see the green man, is fantastic.

xetroV
1st Sep 2008, 14:59
OK, I was young at the time... But the ending of the Invasion of the Body Snatchers (the Donald Sutherland version) still sort of haunts me.

ORAC
1st Sep 2008, 15:18
The Stone Tape (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stone_Tape) -Without doubt the scariest thing I have ever watched.

ZE731
1st Sep 2008, 18:36
Probably the most disturbing film I have ever watched is Eraserhead :yuk:

Other good 'uns:

Salems Lot (original tv mini-series)
Halloween (original) with Jamie Lee Curtis
Pet Semetary
Donny Darko is quite good too.

Anybody remember the Singing Ringing Tree? :ooh:

ceebs
2nd Sep 2008, 14:03
I remember a film from years ago called The Legend Of Boggy Creek, which was about some bigfoot type thing supposedlly roaming somewhere in one of the southern US states.
I havent seen it in years, but i seem to remember it being oddly scary when i saw it as an impressionable 8 year old! Anyone else remember it?

Another scary one which is worth a go is the BBC program Ghostwatch, with Michael Parkinson, Sarah Greene et al? I have it on DVD and it still works pretty well. Best watched at night with the lights off!!

Jimmy Macintosh
2nd Sep 2008, 20:22
The Fog was well recieved, would have been better if we lived nearer the coast, that got realy tense.

I'll check the other suggestions out...

(Bizarrely enough, watched the Spiderwick Chronicles, that was quite edgey, especially as a childrens film.)

SpannerInTheWerks
3rd Sep 2008, 23:51
Just watched 'Jacob's Ladder'.

Not scary or disturbing - just an interesting film which I realised I had enjoyed more than I thought once it was over and I fully understood what it was all about (if that makes any sense?!).

This has been an interesting Thread so far as a number of good films have been mentioned and a number of those I haven't seen - so thanks for the tips!

SITW :ok:

iws
4th Sep 2008, 15:15
"Shaun of the Dead"

reynoldsno1
5th Sep 2008, 01:57
Anything with Tom Cruise in it - really, really creepy

vs69
5th Sep 2008, 10:08
Newly released one called REC its quite short, 1hr 10 and in Spanish with subtitles but is kind of Cloverfield, meets 28 days later, meets The descent, a few genuine creepy moments and jumpy moments too, thoroughly reccomended...