PDA

View Full Version : Question re unusual noise on A320

shogan1977
26th Aug 2008, 15:18
Hopefully I won't get attacked for asking a stupid question, but I have one regarding an unusual noise at rotation on a recent EI flight (BRU-DUB) on an A320. I fly this route regularly on this aircraft (I also fly regularly with BA on A319 which I think is similar), so I am well used to the noises of this aircraft type (or at least I'd like to think so). So I ask this question out of pure interest - on the flight I refer to at rotation as the aircraft pulled back at the ver front of the plane there was a very loud banging noise which seems to eminate from the front wheels (probably not though). At first I thought maybe it was just the wheels hitting the runway lights, but it continued for a good 30-60 secs after take-off. Then I thought maybe there was a blow out at takeoff or a problem with the under carriage but clearly not as we landed normally (except for the fact that when the undercarriage was lowered the noise seemed to return before landing). I was at the front of the plane and was not alone in thinking the sound was unusual.

I guess I am looking for piece of mind/assurance...

Final 3 Greens
26th Aug 2008, 15:41
IIRC the last time someone asked a similar question, a 320 pilot replied that there is no brake on the nosegear (unlike the main gear) and there is some kind of physical device that slows the wheel down during retraction (the wheel rubs against it as it retracts.)

He thought that this could cause a noise after takeoff.

I can tell you form personal experience (on a light aircraft) that if a wheel is still spinning when it enters the wheel well, it makes a hell of a racket ;) - I only did it once :yuk:

Hopefully a professional will be able to explain properly.

Wirelock
26th Aug 2008, 18:12
sounds like their could have been a vibration coming from the nlg wheels. this occurs when(generally) when 1 of the nose landing gear tyres is more worn than the other one.

normally the pilots would report this to maintenance and the 1st step would be to replace the most worn wheel. if this has no result then replace the other nlg wheel. the troubleshooting for this goes on but in this case it sounds like the nose gear wheels were causing the vibration.

and to assure you, you were never in any danger!!

PS i am a licensed a320 engineer and come across this problem regulary

shogan1977
27th Aug 2008, 10:00
Thanks Wirelock and Final3. That puts my mind at rest :) Cheers

MarcJF
6th Sep 2008, 21:34
had a similar thing on an A319 out of Munich earlier this week, stopped about 30/45 seconds after take off. There were a few worried faces but all was OK. I do have an unrelated question that I've not found anything for under search, I was in 10C and during the drinks service one of the CC commented that the sun was under the wing, we were turning at the time, is this more bank than normal?

Pax Vobiscum
7th Sep 2008, 16:22
Marc - I think that bank angle will not normally exceed 30 degrees (I'm sure one of the prof flyers will correct me if I'm wrong). Whether this could take the sun beneath the wing depends on time of day and time of year. In winter in northern Europe, the sun doesn't get much more than 30 degrees above the horizon.

If it's noon in the tropics and the sun is under the wing, you're having a really bad day :)

ThreadBaron
7th Sep 2008, 16:55
I was in 10C and during the drinks service one of the CC commented that the sun was under the wing,

As drinks were being served at the time, this sounds to me like the aviation version of the sun being over the yardarm.:ok: