PDA

View Full Version : I'm sure a boffin can help!

fill-your-boots
26th Apr 2001, 00:10
Last time I asked a question here some-one sorted me out so ever the optimist I'll try again.

Quite often if I am on a website and hit the "E-mail us" option to ask them a question or whatever I get an error box coming up with the message "could not perform this function as the default mail client is not properly installed".

What the heck does that mean? All my Email services appear to work OK so if any-one could spare the time to enlighten me I'd be grateful.

Squiddley
26th Apr 2001, 06:05
Not much of a boffin, but I'll have a go :)

1)Assuming you're using Win9x and IE, go to the control panel, and double click on "Internet Options" (Or Tools>Internet Options if the browser is open.)

2)Click on the "Programs" tab at the top, and check that your default email program name shows in the "E-mail" drop box.

3)If nothing is there, click on the expansion arrow on the right of that box, and click the name of the email prog you use.

4)If no joy, open the email prog itself and find its options settings, and look for something like "make this your default email program" or words to that effect.

Hopefully this will sort the problem. You might also consider reinstalling the program in case setting it as default was an option overlooked during the original installation.

Just some ideas...good luck.
RGDS/Sq

ExSimGuy
26th Apr 2001, 10:31
At step 2 above, be sure that it's the "right" Outlook if that's what you use. If you have "Outlook" selected, but you are using "Outlook Express", you will need to change the selection as the two are not the same!

God luck

Flyswift
27th Apr 2001, 23:01
ExSim

God Luck....tehe thats bound to work then?

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif

ExSimGuy
27th Apr 2001, 23:19
Flyswift - Dunno if it's a Freudian thing, but on my laptop keyboard, I'm always mising double leters. :)

Having said that - perhaps it's not such a bad idea to add a quick prayer to any changes of settings in Microsoft http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

OCB - Your thoughts on the subject?

fill-your-boots
2nd May 2001, 20:58
Squiddley;
Your more of a boffin than me pal!

Thanks for your time so far BUT when I look in the box as per step 3 there is nothing in the drop down menu - please can you tell me where the "open the Email prog itself" as per step 4 is to be found.

Maybe I should stick to an abacus.

Squiddley
4th May 2001, 07:09
FYB

What I meant was go into the start menu and launch your email program, then when it's open, find the options or preferences. Look through the settings for something like "Make this my default email program".

It could be worded in a variety of ways - and many programs will check when they are run and prompt you : "would you like xyz to be your default email program?" or somesuch.

If still no joy, you could always download a copy of Eudora Light, which is free (adware). That should act like I described and hopefully resolve the problem.

Clear as mud! Let us know how you get on.