PDA

View Full Version : Oscar Juliet Hotel rides again.

Eastwest Loco
26th Aug 2008, 09:41
Did anyone notice the nosewheel doors on the QF 744 that brought our Olympians home?

It was indeed VH-OJH. Fresh from a successful season in a Thai fairway, and a nice refit in the wilds of China.

I was told (not by the Townsville refueller, so not necessarily accurate) that OJH was parked for a long while behind a blade of grass at Mascot and was a source of spares.

Has the lovely old girl been pressed back into service after the oxy bottle incident took OJK off the line?

Obviously she performed flawlessly so a good thing there.

Best all

The Loco Bloko

EWL

Mstr Caution
26th Aug 2008, 10:28
She may not fly straight but the paint job looked good

Buster Hyman
26th Aug 2008, 10:28
You would have thought they'd run it through the "carwash" though eh LocoBloko???:rolleyes:

blueloo
26th Aug 2008, 10:38
She may not fly straight but the paint job looked good

The one they towed into the hangar on the news was looking pretty shabby. Old paintjob and pretty dirty looking.

Ken Borough
26th Aug 2008, 11:08
Something has to 'give'. Maybe it's not possible to keep the fleet clean and fly a full schedule when one of the fleet has made a long and unplanned stop at Manila for unplanned maintenance?

I see that the Poms flew their Olympic team home on a BA B747 with a non-standard radome. No one is complaining!

criticalmass
26th Aug 2008, 11:12
Thought it looked familiar.

Couple of nice new Trents on stands at the Eastern side of the hangar. Got me photo took alongside one of 'em. Wondering how I might fit it to the microlight!!

teresa green
26th Aug 2008, 11:17
With their attitude, they can shove their radome where the sun don't shine. Sooo when does the Ashes start!

LeadSled
26th Aug 2008, 12:51
Folks,
Sorry to inject a few facts into the thread, but I put up quite a few hours on -OJH after it returned from the golf course, and guess what, it flew better than before digging up a few divots.
In fact, in cruise, it (now) flew with zero rudder and aileron trim, and the "delta" fuel figure improved significantly. In short, aerodynamically "better than new".
And --- before any body brings it up again, the total cost of the rebuild was just under half the insured value.
Tootle pip!!

Thermal Bandit
26th Aug 2008, 12:57
I thought is a great sporting gesture; how may other B747 have spent time on a golf course?

Taildragger67
26th Aug 2008, 13:15
EWL,

I might well be wrong but I'm sure I've seen -OJH up here at EGLL several times since its little off-road jaunt.

Actually a quick search on airliners.net throws up quite a few shots taken in numerous places, taken since the golf course caper. One 'conspiracy theory' thing one might deduce from those shots might be, though, that she doesn't seem to do many of the long over-water trips...

lowerlobe
26th Aug 2008, 13:31
Originally posted By Ken Borough.... I see that the Poms flew their Olympic team home on a BA B747 with a non-standard radome. No one is complaining!
Kenny.....I think you'll find that the non-standard radome as you put it was deliberately painted 'Gold' with the Olympics in mind and keeping in mind that the next games are in London and was not some off the shelf spare part hastily installed....

Jabawocky
26th Aug 2008, 13:34
perhaps its the Config for Oz-London:hmm:

vigi-one
26th Aug 2008, 21:32
did anyone else pickup on the comment by Ashley Callis that he had to listen to snoring for 10hrs because there was no entertainment on board.

speedbirdhouse
26th Aug 2008, 23:39
Yes, you are correct.

complete and total entertainment failure on the flight.

At least this lot hadn't paid for the flight........

blueloo
26th Aug 2008, 23:48
......and no alcohol......

the legacy of Geoff, or a requirement of the Aussie Olympic Team?

speedbirdhouse
26th Aug 2008, 23:53
....mmmmm....

Sounds like the flight was in line with Qantas's recent spate of public relations triumphs :D:D:D

speedbirdhouse
27th Aug 2008, 01:03
No alcohol loaded on the aircraft for the RETURN flight ??

Mmmmm.........

This smells like the kind of result we get from those mental giants running cabin services.

Superbly led by the worlds greatest oxygen thief and fool. The one with the double barrel surname.

Oh BTW, do all Kiwis have a fetish for white stockings and heels.:}

But I digress.....

One can imagine an alcohol ban on the way up.

Did the oxygen thieves make no allowance for those wishing to celebrate on the way home????

Oh if so, that is just soooooo funny........

ACMS
27th Aug 2008, 01:31
Let me see, no entertainment and no booze.

If that's how they treat the Aussie heroes returning from the Olympics on a charter then god help the rest of us SLF.:=

Surely QF could have planned a bit better than that??

nah, I guess not.

noip
27th Aug 2008, 01:50
The aircraft was fully stocked - the "no alcohol" rule was at the request of the Australian Olympic Committee.

Di_Vosh
27th Aug 2008, 01:52
One can imagine an alcohol ban on the way up.

One can also imagine an alcohol ban on the way back.

The return of our olympic team was a carefully orchestrated PR event.

The organisers would want the press to focus on the fresh and healthy athletes disembarking from the a/c, raptly listening to the PM and the opposition leader, being met by family, etc. etc.

In their minds, all that good PR would be at risk by allowing alcohol on the return trip.

My 2c.

lowerlobe
27th Aug 2008, 02:19
The aircraft was fully stocked - the "no alcohol" rule was at the request of the Australian Olympic Committee.
.....Was the request also to include no in flight entertainment?

Buster Hyman
27th Aug 2008, 02:45
Indeed, the last thing QF or the AOC would need is some leech at the top of the steps trying to kiss Stephanie Rice.....oh, wait....:ooh:

Skystar320
27th Aug 2008, 02:47
lucky git.........

Jabawocky
27th Aug 2008, 03:13
Should have added plenty of champagne, she might have put on a show:oh:

What am I thinking:eek:

You guys have led me astray:E

J:ok:

Buster Hyman
27th Aug 2008, 03:41
Rank has its priviledges I suppose!

Did anyone else notice Brendon up there taking the photos? I bet he didn't get any!

teresa green
27th Aug 2008, 04:18
Whats OJH's handicap, anyone know?

Buster Hyman
27th Aug 2008, 04:33
Don't know about handicap, but it's hopeless with as a pitching wedge!

Ken Borough
27th Aug 2008, 04:50
It doesn't drive very well either!

peuce
27th Aug 2008, 07:00
... and is their any truth in the rumour that they are going to rename it ... "Jack Newton " ... in line with the new policy of naming aircraft after famous golfing aviators:E

Gelande Strasse
27th Aug 2008, 07:28
With their attitude, they can shove their radome where the sun don't shine. Sooo when does the Ashes start!

............and happy birthday to Don Bradman too :ok: 99.94 and out!:cool:

GS

parabellum
27th Aug 2008, 07:32
"With their attitude, they can shove their radome where the sun don't shine."

And exactly what attitude is that, pray tell?

Gelande Strasse
27th Aug 2008, 07:48
And exactly what attitude is that, pray tell?

Think of a phrase involving the words "grapes" and "sour" :=

GS

Man-on-the-fence
27th Aug 2008, 08:18
As opposed to "the Poms can only win sitting down".

Dont make me laugh.

Evening Star
27th Aug 2008, 09:20
Deary deary me, what a well developed set of chips on shoulders.:hmm:

Q. How do you know it is a QF flight?
A. The whining continues after the engines are switched off...:ok:

Ken Borough
27th Aug 2008, 09:37
Having won more more than their share of the gold, maybe now the Brits can enjoy what it's like to be Australian!!!:}:}:}

NIGELINOZ
27th Aug 2008, 09:54
Q. How do you know it is a QF flight?
A. The whining continues after the engines are switched off...http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Sadly you are a bit behind the times ,Evening Star,that joke did the rounds in Australia about 40 years ago,only then it was used to describe a BA flight and the Poms thereon.:p

(Actually I reckon the Brits did bloody well,and I,for one,don't begrudge them their moment in the sun,just don't get complacent,the Aussies will be after you in 2012)

Stationair8
27th Aug 2008, 10:34
Pity the in-flight entertainment system was u/s.

chris_tivver
27th Aug 2008, 10:50
I'm surprised that you chaps are still making a scene about our medals being in sitting down sports.

Given that your athletics medal tally in the athletics is:
- 1 silver and 1 bronze for walking. Walking ffs
- 1 gold for jumping with the assistance of a pole
- and 1 solitary silver for a sport that is about running
Same number of golds as those plucky Kiwis got in Athletics

But lets be fair you are better at swimming than us. All credit to you. Fair enough boats have been invented for some time now. I would have thought boats would be popular down your way too. I mean you can carry lots of tinnies in them for when you are a bit parched. Ah well, you chaps stick to the "drowning with style" events for 2012

Ashes before that :) and then Martin Johnson returns to haunt you in 2011:)

Ah I do love the sporting banter with the Aussies, even if the b*****s win more than they should given their size

Evening Star
27th Aug 2008, 10:52
Sadly you are a bit behind the times ,Evening Star,that joke did the rounds in Australia about 40 years ago,only then it was used to describe a BA flight and the Poms thereon.:p

(Actually I reckon the Brits did bloody well,and I,for one,don't begrudge them their moment in the sun,just don't get complacent,the Aussies will be after you in 2012)

Green joke ... recycled.;)

Suspect your predictions for 2012 will come true.:hmm:

Taildragger67
27th Aug 2008, 11:03
Mr Tivver,

Recent senior Team GB coaches in swimming and rowing are Australian and coached Australians to Olympic gold before shifting to the Old Dart, where they teamed up with many other imports (just head down to the boathouses at Putney one fine saturday morning (not there are many of those lately in London) and listen to the accents) - it's amazing what a bit of lottery funding going into coaching salaries will do.

As for banter - yes I agree it's all (generally) good natured. Though I do wish Coates would button it, the man's becoming a bit of a gripper with the Pom-bashing. If the comparison to UK is the only thing the man watches, then John, old son, time to move on.

Having invented half the sports at the Olympics, the Poms should be doing better than Australia - so essentially they're back in their rightful place. And on the overall count (see the SMH's table), the UK is waaaaaaaaay ahead of Australia.

One thing I can't understand is this 'Team GB' bit - shouldn't it be 'Team UK'?

And yes happy birthday to The Don. Gone but never forgotten and an inspiration always. My Dad's two proudest days (aside from my arrival :ok: ) - seeing Bradman's and Warne's last games at the SCG.

ZK-NSJ
27th Aug 2008, 12:11
i recall travelling on -ojh back in april 2000 from chch-syd, on what i think was its first or one of its first days back in service

Buster Hyman
27th Aug 2008, 12:27
- 1 gold for jumping with the assistance of a pole
No, Steves coach was Russian.

NIGELINOZ
27th Aug 2008, 12:39
Green joke ... recycled.http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/wink2.gif

Fair enough.:ok: (But we're not "green with envy"!;)

chris_tivver
27th Aug 2008, 13:08
:[email protected] Buster

For all this banter with the Aussies being fun (and I know the Kiwis like to join in with the pom-bashing when its cricket or rugby), one thing we can all agree on is the shoddy performance of the US.

When are they going to actually start playing proper sports so we can really hand out some abuse.

Gymnastics, baseball, basketball, American football (clue in the name) do not count.

Lets have a civilised olympics where we only have the sports that civilised people take part in
rugby (7s and XV), cricket (test and OD), sailing (dinghy & offshore), rowing

now that would be fun

I will now run for cover

Propstop
27th Aug 2008, 18:31
I have done two SYD-JNB flights on OJH since it's golf course foray and one JNB-SYD, as a pax it seemed OK.

QFinsider
27th Aug 2008, 19:45
I love a good story as well as the next person...

However the "plough" has been flying at least the last seven years :ok:

teresa green
27th Aug 2008, 23:04
Chris Tiver, just how many people you got over there, compared to what you won??? We only got 20 mil mate, you have about 80 mil don't you?? Beware of a wounded Aussie, we still have not got over the Rugby World Cup, the average aussie male, would prefer to walk over cut glass, then be beaten by the "mother country" bring on LHR! The Ashes, The dead cat throwing competition, anything you like, we will always be ready to stick it to you!:E:E

parabellum
28th Aug 2008, 01:08
The Australian team was 433 strong, how many in the UK team for the Olympics?

DOME
28th Aug 2008, 07:46
And let's not forget - its the ENGLISH we like to flog - we quite like the Scots, Welsh and N.Irish - who seemed to win quite a few of Team "GB"'s medals . . .

chris_tivver
28th Aug 2008, 09:07
Teresa,

if you look carefully I said

Ah I do love the sporting banter with the Aussies, even if the b*****s win more than they should given their size

Gold meal for the knee-jerk (reaction)
:}

13thDuke
28th Aug 2008, 09:24
we quite like the Scots, Welsh and N.Irish - who seemed to win quite a few of Team "GB"'s medals . . . Today 01:08

Not really true....

BBC NEWS | UK | Local heroes: Mapping GB's gold medallists (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7570978.stm)

Sailor Vee
28th Aug 2008, 09:39
One thing I can't understand is this 'Team GB' bit - shouldn't it be 'Team UK'?I think that was done because anyone from 'Norn Iron' can elect to represent the Republic of Ireland at the olympics, as did Paddy Barnes from Belfast, in the boxing. I don't know if there were any other people from 'Ulster' at the games.

(It's the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland; so I suppose that's why they elected for Team GB).

chris_tivver
28th Aug 2008, 10:26
I think its because we always have.
As a result according to Wiki we are still in 3rd place in the all time gold medal count for the summer olympics-
All-time Olympic Games medal table - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-time_Olympic_Games_medal_count#Medal_table)

Note 17 there says:
^ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-time_Olympic_Games_medal_count#cite_ref-16) Includes medals won by athletes from the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_of_Great_Britain_and_Ireland) (18961920) and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom) (1924-present), both of which used the name "Great Britain" and the country code GBR.