PDA

View Full Version : Air Jamaica passenger fatally injured during severe turbulence

robbreid
26th Aug 2008, 01:51
Don't know how news worthy this is, however in today's FAA Preliminary Reports is the following;

************************************************************ ********************
** Report created 8/25/2008 Record 6 **
************************************************************ ********************

IDENTIFICATION
Regis#: AJM035 Make/Model: B737 Description: 737
Date: 08/09/2008 Time: 1845

Event Type: Accident Highest Injury: Fatal Mid Air: N Missing: N
Damage: Unknown

DESCRIPTION
AIR JAMAICA FLIGHT 035 BOEING 737 AIRCRAFT ENCOUNTERED SEVERE TURBULENCE
CAUSING UNKNOWN INJURIES, ONE PERSON ON BOARD WAS FATALLY INJURED, NEAR
MONTEGO BAY, JAMAICA - REPORTED 8/22/2008

INJURY DATA Total Fatal: 1
# Crew: 0 Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:
# Pass: 0 Fat: 1 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk: Y
# Grnd: Fat: 0 Ser: 0 Min: 0 Unk:

WEATHER: NOT REPORTED

OTHER DATA
Activity: Business Phase: Unknown Operation: Air Carrier

WhatsaLizad?
26th Aug 2008, 06:38
Me thinks AJ favors the Airbus fleet. Could be a wet lease though.

rubik101
26th Aug 2008, 12:50
Lizad, someone dies and all you can write about is that AJ have Airbus so it must be a lease. Where on this God's earth are you from?

No sympathy, no sorrow, no feeling apart from; how clever am I to notice that it was a 737?

Plonker.

Rainboe
26th Aug 2008, 14:27
What model 737 does AJ operate? Do we know if the seatbelt sign was on?

Let's leave the sympathy and prayers for all the blessings given in Rumours and News! This is an essentially news site. If the newspapers don't report it without 'we send our heartfelt condolences to all relatives', why should we? I'm getting fed up that people feel obliged to add 'RIP' and that nonsense to any posting involving deceased. This is a News site, not a relatives condolence site!

pilotbear
26th Aug 2008, 15:43
again I find myself agreeing with rainboe:eek: everyone knows everyone is sad etc.

Rainboe
26th Aug 2008, 17:06
Please don't make a habit of it!

I detect a certain moral blackmail in postings about accidents to add 'greatest sympathies to all those involved, their families, their cats and dogs, hope their mortgages will still get paid, their workmates, their pals down the pub and the darts club, the inland revenue for losing another taxpayer, their employers who now have to find another worker, but not for their replacement at work who only gets the job because of the sad loss of this person, the airline that has now lost a 23 year old plane and had its share price hammered....and anybody else who I may have forgotten!'

Some of them are quite flowery, quite raise a tear to your eye (well, almost, but not quite). But this is a technical discussion website, not a condolence book please! The BBC manages to report accidents without adding the churchlike language. What does 'RIP' mean, apart from a waste of bandwidth?

PaperTiger
26th Aug 2008, 18:12
Without commenting on the pros and cons of the preceeding discussion, I do find it worrying that the FAA (who are supposedly overseeing all this) can't take the time to get the basic facts right.

Not a 737, not even JM metal. Sad that "spotters" know this, but the (ahem) authorities apparently do not. :hmm: Results for JM0035 for the month of August 2008
9th August 2008 N756NA logged @ 19:34 GMT (1402)(SPOTTERS - SPecial Over The Top Email Request System (http://www.antonakis.co.uk/acars.php?page=request))