PDA

View Full Version : EK Headset?

buzz&sntch
26th Aug 2008, 00:28
New to EK and the Middle East. The wify got a new toy to play with in the sandbox, a Bose X. Understand we just use company headsets? Are they allocated to each individual, or are they shared? Should I keep my toy or send it back? What do most pilots do as far as headsets? Any and all information is greatly appreciated!

fatbus
26th Aug 2008, 01:02
supplied on the AC, the 345 uses a noise cnx type, many guys use their own. Just remember to PLUG IN the old one . That was for the guys that dont.

White Knight
26th Aug 2008, 07:04
Seconded fatbus - nothings gets on my tits more than guys who leave the flightdeck in a mess!! Headset unplugged, fingerprints all over MCDU's, windows etc...

buzz&sntch
26th Aug 2008, 15:17
Thanks Fatbus and White Knight for the information you provided. Coming from an airline that transported wild animals from place to place, meaning the flight crews, I had to adapt to a messy flight deck. This came with living on the flight deck 6-8 legs per day with sporadic 10 minute breaks. 20 minutes on the ground and a last minute plane swap were not so conducive to cleanliness. I look forward to a cleaner environment in EK. Don't like the sound of communal headsets (wish I had a peso for every time the mic touched my lips) so how is the bose/ uflymike combo looked upon at EK? The Bose X came with other than Airbus plug(s), so it's gotta go anyway. Thanks again in advance.

Eldin
26th Aug 2008, 16:10
If you end up on the Airbus Fleet, they use XLR-5 plugs, so you may need an adapter if you have the standard 2-plug headset.
(Google "Marv Golden" in San Diego, he carries them under Telex products).

A340-500 has noise canclling, the others don't.

If you end up on the Boeing Fleet.
The "classics" (777-200, -200ER and -300) come with standard headsets with 2 plugs.
The -300ERs and -200LR's have noise cancelling headsets, also with XLR plugs, but there are also provisions for standard 2 plug headsets on the 777, so you won't need an adapter.

Use of intercom is not standard procedure, so most guys (and gals) fly around with one ear half uncovered.

klavoll
26th Aug 2008, 19:20
Which headsets are recommended on the 777? I have a Bose X that I have used for 4 years, but I would like to slim down to a light weight headset. The Bose gets a little heavy after a long day of flying.

Orangewing
26th Aug 2008, 19:42
I use the Telex Airman 850 on the 777. Works like a dream, very light weight and comfortable. Couldn't do without it now, i reckon. Clarity in both transmission and receiving is excellent, and it has nice soft ear cushions, unlike the aircraft - fitted ones!

One of my better investments.....:E

mblackey
27th Aug 2008, 02:06
Recommend you read the reviews and info on the UFlyMike website.

Mike

Ketek400
27th Aug 2008, 08:09
Why worry about headsets? The thing comes off as soon as the wheels come up anyway!!!! Nobody wears them all the time!

KRUGERFLAP
27th Aug 2008, 09:16
Hey guys go get a woman!:ok: Grew up a family or something else,LOL

Spend US$ 500,00 in a headset to fly commercial jets?

Why use your own Headsets? Scare of deceases? Noise? Give me a break.You are fying a A330,A340 or B777 not a jungle jet ,turboprop or Piston acft.:ugh:

And for people who use them.please plug back the ACFT ones,because it's a pain in the ass to plug that :mad: thing again.:cool:

buzz&sntch
27th Aug 2008, 15:48
Thanks again to all those that more than adequately answered my initial posting and subsequent follow-ups. I can now make a decision being well informed.