PDA

View Full Version : Hiding "my documents" from the start menu

Rwy in Sight
25th Aug 2008, 18:03
I don't want/need to have the the most recent documents on the start menu. I tried to follow the instructions from the windows help but I did not manage it. When I try to customise option on the start menu I failed to see the "my documents" icon.

I am not sure if it is clear but I would appreciate your assistance...

Rwy in Sight

mixture
25th Aug 2008, 18:45
Security by obscurity is not security.

If you are trying to protect information from the eyes of others, then encrypt it.

PGP, TrueCrypt are just two of many names ..... Google is your friend, take your pick.

On the other hand, if you just want to hide it because you can't stand the sight of it, I suggest you Google "remove my documents from start menu" .... there are various pages there professing to tell you how to do it. I have not tried any of the techniques, nor do I intend to, so do so at your own risk.

frostbite
25th Aug 2008, 19:47
You haven't said which version of windoze it is but ISTR TweakUI will assist you.

mixture
25th Aug 2008, 21:15
Frostbite,

I don't spend much time with Vista, but I do believe Microsoft have changed the terminology to "Documents" in Vista, rather than keeping "My Documents" from XP.

frostbite
25th Aug 2008, 21:35
The cunning swine!

mixture
25th Aug 2008, 21:47
That's ok.

I'll come clean and say I didn't take that into account at the time .... I just assumed XP because I think Vista's a load of eye candy with little real use. :cool:

Background Noise
25th Aug 2008, 22:03
Right click the START button and select properties
Click the radio button Start Menu then click the Customize button
Then select the advanced tab
Then untick the 'List my most recently opened documents'
Then OK, OK

To recover your deleted My Documents link, in the same advanced tab screen as above, scroll down in the centre window until you find the entry for My Documents and select Display as Link.
OK, OK etc

Any good?

Rwy in Sight
26th Aug 2008, 04:42
Background noise,

Many thanks for a clear answer but:
I follow the instuctions but when I click on the advanced button the screen that comes up is one of the "document tree" and there is no option to untick the 'List my most recently opened documents'.

I am not sure if it is clear...

Rwy in Sight

Background Noise
26th Aug 2008, 06:30
At step 2, have you got the 'Classic Start Menu' ticked, instead of 'Start Menu'?

Rwy in Sight
26th Aug 2008, 18:00
Background Noise,

You are a computer genius....

Many thanks,