PDA

View Full Version : MS Backup Shedules

BOAC
25th Aug 2008, 13:44
WinXP SP3 - scheduled daily backups of my OE folder have ceased to function. NTBackup opens briefly at the appointed time and then closes with no actual backup and no message. I have checked all the settings, Googled, etc and all seems pukka. I now have resorted to Roxio backups which are running fine 'on schedule'. Respective NTBUp backup.logs are empty. HELP!

BOAC
29th Aug 2008, 09:29
BTTT in the hope someone knows.....?

BOAC
30th Aug 2008, 16:39
Further information: my weekly scheduled backup of my personal user profile backed up correctly last night. It appears to be the backup of the OE folders which does not run. OE, unlike Outlook, does not require the prog shut down to backup the folders.

BOAC
8th Sep 2008, 07:29
To close this and in case anyone else has the same problem, it appears that a scheduled backup (call?) in NTBackup MAY have a limit on filename length.

I was trying to save just the 'Outlook Express' folder in 'identities' in 'docs and settings'. It worked on a single 'one off' backup. It did not on a scheduled backup. I am now successfully backingup the actual master folder {xxyy12346 etc} daily in scheduled. I can only assume that the schedule command had exceeded its allowable path length? Maybe there is a 'legacy' 128 hangover in 'Scheduled Tasks' from DOS days for a bat file ? Version I have is schtasks.exe 5.1.2600.5512 in Sys32 folder.

Keef
8th Sep 2008, 13:15
Never been there. I have some batchfiles to do my backups, called by the Task Scheduler. They know exactly which directories to back up. The "plus" is that each backup goes into a directory with the date of the backup as part of its name.

BOAC
8th Sep 2008, 14:35
Yes, Keef, I saw your post elsewhere about that - sounds like an excellent solution. Me - just lazy (but finish up doing more!:ugh:)