PDA

View Full Version : Webster Trophy

dewarg
25th Aug 2008, 12:32
The results of the Webster Memorial Trophy Competition, to select Canada's top amateur pilot, were announced Saturday evening. Sandeep Nagpal, from Toronto, took the top award.

More information can be found at (timestranscript.com - Ont. native wins flight award (http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/front/article/395973)).

The Webster web site is (Webster Trophy Competition - Home (http://www.webstertrophy.ca))

Glorified Donkey
25th Aug 2008, 12:59
So he basically won an award for doing what he, as a pilot should already know how to do. *YAWN*

I thought someone won an award for heroism or dealing with a real emergency. Just another joke award I guess

J.O.
26th Aug 2008, 01:16
So he basically won an award for doing what he, as a pilot should already know how to do. *YAWN*

I thought someone won an award for heroism or dealing with a real emergency. Just another joke award I guess

Appropriate handle.

The Webster Trophy has a long and proud tradition as a competition for amateur pilots, many of whom have gone on to successful careers in aviation. I know several of the past winners, and they all worked very hard to win that competition, and I'd gladly be their F/O any day. I'd say that a 40-year accident free career at Air Canada, as was enjoyed by several Webster winners, would qualify someone as somewhat of a hero.

ex-beagle
26th Aug 2008, 01:51
Glorified Donkey wrote:

"So he basically won an award for doing what he, as a pilot should already know how to do. *YAWN*

I thought someone won an award for heroism or dealing with a real emergency. Just another joke award I guess"

In actual fact he won the award for "doing what he, as a pilot should already know how to do" better than about 100 other competitors. Being a Webster Award winner is one more thing to add to his resume when it comes time to apply for an airline job.

A couple of months ago I flew with a recent winner of the Webster who has just been hired by Air Canada. He is a very capable, competent and professional pilot.

Glorified Donkey
26th Aug 2008, 03:20
At Air Canada its who you know, trust me. Big boys club. If your daddy is a captain, then you're gonna get in before someone who managed to perform a steep turn better than 100 other people.

And there are many pilots who have not won this prestigious award that are competent and professional and who too have gone on to finish long careers accident free.

Left Coaster
26th Aug 2008, 08:22
Not now Donkey... (with apologies to Mike Meyers)

J.O.
26th Aug 2008, 09:53
While I don't work for Air Canada, as I had other ambitions and never formally aplied, I know many pilots who work there who had no connections whatsoever. They seem to be doing alright. And I never said that winning the Webster was the only way to have a successful career.

You should really try to be more positive there, donkey. It's better for your blood pressure.

ex-beagle
26th Aug 2008, 12:05
I've got news for you Donkey. Air Canada can't be seen to show any sort of preference to employee's children. I believe it is now more difficult to get hired if you are the son or daughter of a Captain. Many sons and daughters have been turned down.

Just my opinion of course. But it is my opinion based on conversations and observations with some people on the inside.

SingleSingle
27th Aug 2008, 02:53
I competed in this competition during my time building for my commercial licence. You need to get the hours anyhow.....

It was a fun way to meet some other blokes who were interested in aviation. I didn't win, (wasn't even close :ouch:) but that wasn't the point for entering. It was to improve my skills and have a little fun in the process.

I have a little notation in my logbook that I will come across 30 years from now and have a little chuckle. :p

And....Air Canada still managed to hire me....no relatives, French, University, or space shuttle time. :ok:

J.O.
27th Aug 2008, 10:18
Thanks SS. Your comments echo those of the folks I know who took part. I wanted to take part in 1980, but our school only sent one representative. The guy who went beat my mark on the written exam by 1% (we tied on the flight test).

I suspect the donkey won't be back to this thread. Nothing like a few facts to burst your little rant.

dewarg
27th Aug 2008, 12:31
Here's a link to some pictures taken during the competition.

Picasa Web Albums - Max - Webster (http://picasaweb.google.com/photomaxme/Webster)