PDA

View Full Version : Pirated software...

Squiddley
24th Apr 2001, 10:37
From today's SCMP (HKG) on pirated software:

"Officials have rejected a unionist legislator's plea for businesses to be allowed to use pirated software bought before copyright laws came into effect on April 1..." Click for full article (http://hongkong.scmp.com/ZZZKECCWVLC.html)

If only the date was other than the 1st, this could be taken for the joke it is :) That such a plea was even considered speaks volumes for the waste of space and time that is local "Government". Despite this new legislation, enforcement will be little more than a token gesture.

Piracy is, and will remain endemic, as long as software developers/publishers continue to ask such high prices. I fully agree that it's their right to charge for their work, but hopefully they will "come to" and realise that it's pricing that has led to the rife piracy.

Golf-Kilo Victor
24th Apr 2001, 23:03
i fully agree!
who wants to pay 40GBP or more when you can get it off dodgy dave for a fiver or tenner if it's two disks?

clownfish
25th Apr 2001, 07:41
The reason I have no problem investing HK$20 for a disk is simply because in the past I have paid the full price for the operating system (faulty) and most of the software (also faulty when run under the faulty operating system). So every time they fix the operating system, do I get a new copy as a replacment under warranty? No way...more $$$$. Whatever the rule changes in HKG are I can't notice any difference in the way the stuff is openly sold.