PDA

View Full Version : I know someone on PPRuNe

demomonkey
24th Aug 2008, 09:35
As a current airline pilot I am always amazed to see how many people were on a plane or knew someone who was on the plane. Next time I do a PA I will ask for everyone who is or knows a member of PPRUNE to identify themselves to the CC.

Having read these posts, I'd be surprised if anyone on the aircraft wasn't a member of PPRUNE or knew someone who was a member. However what the relationship, it is pleasing to see that as soon as they landed safely they all endeavored to post their contradicting thoughts and observations on here and did not selfishly try and continue their journey to their holiday destinations, or just have a few quiet moments in prayer for their safe arrival.

Well done everyone!

BillS
24th Aug 2008, 10:58
Demomonkey
Next time I do a PA I will ask for everyone who is or knows a member of PPRUNE to identify themselves to the CC.
Having read these posts, I'd be surprised if anyone on the aircraft wasn't a member of PPRUNE or knew someone who was a member.
7 million pax flights/day
420,000 readers of pprune
180,000 registered members of pprune
With 300 pax on board, around 8 registered members and 18 readers looking over your shoulder!

Few pax will NOT know a pprune reader!

sevenforeseven
24th Aug 2008, 11:30
All very interesting theories.

Move along now, nothing to see here!!!!:)

Viking101
24th Aug 2008, 16:51
Hahaha

I could not agree more. :ok:

I am so out of here

:cool:

Xeque
24th Aug 2008, 18:02
Many thanks. I never knew that.

VAFFPAX
24th Aug 2008, 18:18
demomonkey, that could be arranged... :-)

"Hi, my name is so-and-so, and I'm a card-carrying PPRuNe member..."

It doesn't help of course if the c/crew don't have a clue what you're on about.

S.

Rightbase
24th Aug 2008, 18:37
Few pax will NOT know a pprune reader!

Sorry, BillS, but wrong.

Impossible to say where you went wrong - perhaps an invalid assumption about the number of ppruners not flying, or the number of friends ppruners have.

BYALPHAINDIA
24th Aug 2008, 18:58
As a current airline pilot I am always amazed to see how many people were on a plane or knew someone who was on the plane. Next time I do a PA I will ask for everyone who is or knows a member of PPRUNE to identify themselves to the CC.

Lol It's usually the opposite.:}:zzz:

Be surprised at how many have never heard of PPRUNE.:eek:

On a recent Low Cost flight as Pax, I asked the CC who was the Capt - They didn't know, And were too busy to answer anyway, Or they gave that impression:ugh:

So, there's maybe not much chance of them knowing about PPRUNE.:confused:

CAT1 REVERSION
24th Aug 2008, 20:01
On a recent Low Cost flight as Pax, I asked the CC who was the Capt - They didn't know, And were too busy to answer anyway, Or they gave that impression:ugh:

Are you for real?

They probably couldn't be bothered answering you because they had more important things to be doing than answering stupid questions. I'm pretty sure ALL CC know who their Capt and First Officer is for the day!

RoyHudd
24th Aug 2008, 20:06
Rubbish Cat 1. And no need to be impolite. Just flew a 330 on a short hop, and met 2 CC members on the airbridge who said hi, and that they had no idea who was operating. They don't usually listen intently to PA's from the front. Anyone in the business would know that. Except maybe you.

CAT1 REVERSION
24th Aug 2008, 20:28
Rubbish Cat 1. And no need to be impolite. Just flew a 330 on a short hop, and met 2 CC members on the airbridge who said hi, and that they had no idea who was operating. They don't usually listen intently to PA's from the front. Anyone in the business would know that. Except maybe you.

So you don't introduce yourself to your crew before you operate a flight?

I thought 'anyone in the business would at least do that. Except maybe you'.

Your airline doesn't issue crew dispatch reports for all crew members on check in?

Sorry, but I can't believe that any crew member wouldn't know who they were operating with - no matter what size your a/c!

Especially someone who has 'I have Control' after their name:ugh:

Your F/O's must love flying with you:mad:

Or perhaps you are an F/O who rarely gets a mention - hence your crew not knowing you were at the pointy end:E

BYALPHAINDIA
24th Aug 2008, 20:36

Yes you were a 'tad' keen CAT 1 REVERSION.

It was just a 'Genuine' question.

And Roy, Yes your'e right, It seems SOME CC are too busy laughing & joking - about what they did the night before to hear who is who.:ugh::hmm:

CAT1 REVERSION
24th Aug 2008, 20:53
Yes you were a 'tad' keen CAT 1 REVERSION.

Appologies if my comments were too sharp. I just can't believe as a current commercial pilot with a reputable loco that there are crew who don't know their other crew members on a flight. (Or at least have a crew dispatch report that they have looked at to see who is operating!)

Granted - some CC members can be, shall we say, pre-occupied with other activities, but In the name of Safety alone, all crew members should at least know who they are operating with. In the first instance there should be at the very least an introduction of flight deck with CC at the planning stages. I have/will always brief any Wx issues, flight times and ADD/CDD issues which may affect the operation. In a previous ailrine, we all briefed together. The Capt's would pick a topic to discuss and ALL crew members would be involved.

Sorry, I just find it very difficult to believe a CC member wouldn't know who was up front, and if they don't or couldn't be bothered to find out, they shouldn't really be on that flight!

BYALPHAINDIA
24th Aug 2008, 23:51
Apology accepted.:ok:

For the record the flight was on a Jet 2 757.

Maybe the CC were new or had just changed shifts??

Cheers.;)

ExSp33db1rd
25th Aug 2008, 00:10
Know your Cabin Crew / Flt Crew ?

The 747 I last operated had 17 Cabin and 3 Flt. crew. Sometimes the cabin crew changed at an outstation, but the Flt. crew stayed on to do another sector, where they got off and the cabin crew stayed on - and their were many variations on this theme. In these situations the Senior cabin crew member and / or the Captain would make themselves known to each other, but I wouldn't have the faintest idea who was 'down the back' seated at door 86 Z, nor them of me, but I / they could always find out of course if either needed to know

With that airline, at base, I had little idea who my F/o and F/Eng. were until I arrived at the airport to depart - in another building to the cabin crew, so I only met the c.c. at the aircraft. I usually made the effort to walk around the cabin and say hello to everyone, but I would occasionally be walking forward again and say hello to someone who told me that I had just met them, we were all really to busy to be super-social.

On a 14 day trip, with that scenario repeating a few times, I got to the stage where I could hardly remember my own name, let alone the 90th crew member I had met that trip. Get the picture ?

If you work as crew you will understand this, if you don't then mind your own business and keep out of ours (or what was mine )

Most Captains - at least I did - announce their names on their first P.A. announcement, if pax don't listen, what's the point of bothering ? I know nobody listens, 'cos I once talked about the wrong destination ! NOBODY corrected me except the F/0 ( at least he knew where we were going ! ) not even the Cabin crew. NOBODY listens. I didn't correct my mistake, 'cos that just draws attention to it, and NOBODY noticed. QED

el #
25th Aug 2008, 00:33
ExSp33db1rd, wrt the fact that PAX/CC don't listen to PA, how do you know that ?

You can't see them from where you sit! I can actually tell you that many people recognize immediately when's the Cpt or F/O speaking rather than recorded message or duty free announcement, and start paying attention. For sure, I do.

Once on a german airline immediately after landing, C.pt announced "welcome to uh-oh, Hamburg" while our destination was, say, Munich. Everyone stayed quiet for a moment before getting it and started laughing. I got the impression they did that joke quite frequently, it would haven't worked if nobody listened!

SpamCanDriver
25th Aug 2008, 10:45
Has happened to me before! Walking through the terminal after a flight started speaking with one of the girls and she says where have u been today?. To which I laughed and said to PMI with you :eek: haha
Glad Im so memorable!

That was on a 767 and the crew were allowed to board without the Flightdeck so we wouldn't see them till we got to the aircraft and u cant go down the back to say hello when there boarding!

HotDog
25th Aug 2008, 10:59
In my flying days, we had to put our signature against our names on the GD at Flt. Ops. All the cabin crew's names were there also and that was the first list I always peroused in planning for the night stop.:E

paull
25th Aug 2008, 12:53
Quote "And Roy, Yes your'e right, It seems SOME CC are too busy laughing & joking - about what they did the night before to hear who is who. "

I can identify with that. Last trip with EY or perhaps EZY, sitting in the back row I had to ask the CC in the back to be quiet so that I could hear the safety announcement. The first response was a glare from one until I pointed out that that if it were me talking they would waste no time telling me to shut up!

I do find that that particular airline treats the back of the plane as the staff canteen, I think from now on I will take notes and publish all the names and stories that I overhear on Jet Blast :)

frostbite
25th Aug 2008, 13:07
Sounds like a good way to get acquainted with an emergency exit in mid-flight.

G-CPTN
25th Aug 2008, 13:21
Who remembers:-
My name is Angus Prune
And this is my tune
I'm Sorry I'll Read That AGAIN!
?

ShyTorque
25th Aug 2008, 13:41
Some days I can't remember my own name, let alone anyone else's. :uhoh:

The pilot in my other seat always has a very vacant look about him so I never try to make conversation and I make all the decisions myself. He never complains, either.

larssnowpharter
25th Aug 2008, 14:46
NOBODY listens. I didn't correct my mistake, 'cos that just draws attention to it, and NOBODY noticed. QED

One once boarded as pax an aircraft at Calgary the second day after the new airport opened. Total bloody chaos it were.

One was supposed to be on a flight to Washington.

'Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. Wecome aboard Air Canada Flight 123 to New York'.

Around 20 people rose from their seats in consternation.

Somehow, we had all been boarded on the wrong flight.

Believe me sometimes it pays to listen to the PA!!!

Little Blue
25th Aug 2008, 16:10
On every flight I take with our lot, ALL the crew know exactly who I am the minute I open my mouth cos its my voice on the crewing/ops call options menu !
But I do know a lot of crew that don't have a clue who their skipper is on the day as they are too busy down the back to have any time with them, execept the Cabin Manager. Big shame.

sevenstrokeroll
26th Aug 2008, 11:42
there are different ways of doing things boys and girls.

some airlines do not keep pilots and flight attendants together throughout a series of flights...some do.

some airlines don't keep pilots and flight attendants at the same hotels on overnights...some do.

I am lucky that our airline keeps our entire crew together over a number of days of a trip. It makes for much better crew coordination and crm. I brief the whole crew, fa's and copilot in operations and it lasts for the whole trip pairing.

Sometimes our f/a's won't answer the question, "who is the captain?". but they will respond to, " is capt. smith flying us today?". The security reasons should seem obvious in this regard

Ancient Observer
26th Aug 2008, 13:23
Like it or not, the captain sets the culture on ANY given flight, even a short hop.

ShyTorque
26th Aug 2008, 14:05
I used to fly with a captain called "Bunny" Warren; he liked short hops.