PDA

View Full Version : Byron to 'clock off'!!

Justin Grogan
24th Aug 2008, 23:34
CASA CEO Bruce Byron will not seek to renew his contract when it expires in November.

Story here.

Byron to clock off | The Australian (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,24219087-26037,00.html)

Good riddance. :D

Jed Clampett
24th Aug 2008, 23:53
Rumour has it that QF Chief Pilot CM is off to CASA when he retires in September. I wonder if this is his new job!

megle2
25th Aug 2008, 00:52
BB to me seems to have almost succeeded in sinking Casa.
Putting a retired Qantas CP in next should finish the job.

Trash Hauler
25th Aug 2008, 02:19
Maybe they need someone who knows what it means to be a CEO to run the organisation. Let those who are CP and instructors fill the technical positions.

TH

ga_trojan
25th Aug 2008, 02:56
Rumour has it that QF Chief Pilot CM is off to CASA when he retires in September. I wonder if this is his new job!

Surely that has to be a conflict of interest? You couldn't hold a government position after 30 years in one employer?

T28D
25th Aug 2008, 02:59
So Byron goes, maybe we can now get a real CEO who will reform CASA after the Toller/Byron holiday years of no change.

Lodown
25th Aug 2008, 03:35
Career opportunity: CASA CEO.
No regulatory experience or background required. Prefer bunny pilot background from an Australian airline environment.
Sought after qualifications:
1. Ability to dodge bullets, but when required, dedication to being pushed into the line of fire as a last defense when bullets heading at Minister after all subordinates have been exhausted.
2. Able to craft feel good PR taglines to an overworked media that has no ability, time or resources to research the truth or otherwise of the statement/s.
3. Ability to baffle with bull**** most Senate inquiries.
Suit candidate retired from mainstream aviation who has no clue about regulatory requirements and who has an over-inflated opinion of his or her management capabilities.

Sheesh! A retired airline pilot who has absolutely no clue how rules are formulated, applied and subverted in practice. You don't put a taxi driver, truck driver, entrepreneur or business owner in charge of the police department. Why put a pilot in charge of CASA? But that hasn't stopped the practice in the past and probably won't change matters for the future.

Torres
25th Aug 2008, 05:40
To "clock off" implies that at some time Byron must have clocked on?? :confused:

I guess I must have missed that?

I assume that is one half of the ulterior motive behind the Senate Inquiry, now met?

Bob Murphie
25th Aug 2008, 05:46
Who would want to inherit this poison chalice?

Timber
25th Aug 2008, 06:47
While we're at it, this may be a good time to change the name again as well ......... hmmmmm, let me think .... FAA perhaps?

Wiley
25th Aug 2008, 06:59
From what I hear, this news will cause wailing and gnashing of teeth among the limo driving fraternity, particularly in Melbourne, as they see what has been a veritable golden gumm'it goose for them go into the pot.

Maybe the next bloke will even live in the same city as his head office. The thead title, using the term 'clock off', will cause some hilarity within CASA, as some there have been heard to say that Bruce very rarely ever 'clocked on'!

peuce
25th Aug 2008, 07:32
Is that around the time GD leaves QF ?

TROJAN764
26th Aug 2008, 01:29
Peuce,

Wash your mouth out!
Then again, perhaps a Private Equity Group would then take control. But what would they have left to sell off if they did? Nothing much left really, not even good will and credibility - some pretty good people at the coal face, but that is about all!

Bob Murphie
26th Aug 2008, 01:32
Private equity group?

What about the Mafia. We would all know where we stood then.

Pundit
26th Aug 2008, 12:57
Toller was pathetic, but Bruce has made him look like a star.

meguro
28th Aug 2008, 07:56
Pundit,
Why don't you apply for the job?

Have you received the companion order of Australia for your contribution to flight instruction? Do you hold an Ag rating? An instructor rating? how about even an ATPL? You must of run government organisations, toured Vietnam (When it wasn't so friendly and Charlie wasn't the name of a bar). Flown with the Red Arrows? Been involved in Airline management? You must have a degree right? How about been a field officer for CASA? Flown corporate jets?

Didn't think so.

Chronic Snoozer
28th Aug 2008, 08:05
I think its safe to say that they're probably looking for someone who HASN'T run a government organisation.

Stationair8
28th Aug 2008, 08:57
Meguro, doesn't necessary qualify the man to run CASA.

Perhaps if he had spent some time in GA, he might have a better understanding of how it works and also how small business's run.

Justin Grogan
28th Aug 2008, 11:42
Meguro,

Do you quote your selection criteria for the CEO of an aviation regulator?

Sounds suspiciously like a questionable resume.

CASA CEO, Bruce Byron - Biography (http://www.casa.gov.au/corporat/ceo/index.htm)

Either way, history will record his tenure as how not to lead any regulator.

Pundit,

At least Toller showed up for work.:ok:

topend3
28th Aug 2008, 15:59
another forgettable era for CASA comes to an end...can't see any change on the horizon either

Torres
28th Aug 2008, 20:41
Meguro. I don't think anyone denies the man's past achievements, however they are hardly essential pre-requisites to successful executive administration of an aviation regulator.

Hansard 14 February 2005:
Mr Byron—I anticipate we would start sending some of them from about the middle of this year. I do not see this delaying the overall program excessively. We have an action item to develop a plan to forward to the minister about when we plan to have them to the minister, and I assume that plan would be done in the next couple of months. I would be hopeful that it would not be long after early 2006 that most of the draft rules are delivered to the minister.

Amongst other administrative and leadership failures, the regulatory reform is still work in progress - as you are well aware.

Lodown
29th Aug 2008, 03:01
The CEO's role has been to meet the Minster's expectation to make money - as much as possible - and keep bad news from the door; some industry groups' expectation of a business partner, and a community expectation of an accident preventer. Staff expectation? A VR offer and the golden wheelbarrow coming down the hall.

Frank Burden
30th Aug 2008, 21:43
A Canberra taxi driver told me that Richard Smiff had called on Minister Albaneasy and was quite excited afterwards.

How about a kiss and make up fairy tale ending with Richard becoming the CASA CEO, getting everything back ship shape just as he likes it, and then standing for the Labor Party in the seat of Gundaroo??:)

T28D
31st Aug 2008, 02:18
You sure it wasn't the Townsville Refueller ????

Frank Burden
31st Aug 2008, 07:39
It might be time to trot out a retired military aviation personality.

Anyone got any ideas who might be available?

Captain Sand Dune
31st Aug 2008, 07:44
Geoff Shepard??:eek::eek::eek:

I'm kidding................!

T28D
31st Aug 2008, 08:22
Gary Beck good value

MTOW
31st Aug 2008, 13:45
A mate in CASA told me recently that if someone cared to do the sums and work out how many hours BB actually spent in the office during his tenure it would work out he is one of the most highly paid executives anywhere.

Captain Sand Dune
1st Sep 2008, 00:20
Gary Beck good value

:eek::eek::eek:

Please tell me you're just kidding as well!!

Frank Burden
2nd Sep 2008, 09:05
Is Australia so devoid of talent that no one has any suggestions to take over CEO CASA.:rolleyes:

People say its the poison chalice but maybe it is even worse than that!

Given that the industry has no suggested champions, I would expect the Minister to take the safe option and appoint a bureaurat or some other stodge!!

How about Greg Russell and get him out of Airservices to somehere he can do less harm?:eek: