PDA

View Full Version : How long without flying?

boeingbus2002
24th Aug 2008, 12:30
There are many people who are still looking for work since completion of their training. Average time to employment seems to vary from few months to few years. For those who manage to obtain employment sooner, they have current experience on their side. (Many operators require 50hrs in last 12 months).

But what about those who are looking in the long term with no flying job?(instructing/air taxi etc.) How often do you fly to keep current?

I manage to renew my ME/IR every year but that is just about the minimum. I'd like to try and fly more, but the costs of "flying for fun" on a twin for example put a dampner on this. By splitting costs with passengers/other pilots is one option.

What is the longest period you have gone without flying?

Vulcan607
24th Aug 2008, 13:38
why must it be a twin that you rent for flying for fun?

Brainstorm
24th Aug 2008, 14:07
Probably not much point doing much else right now than doing the minimum required to keep your license and ratings. Save your money instead.

When things improve on the job market then you can always 'get back into aviation' with a flying holiday to the States where renting aircraft is usually cheaper. Or if you prefer flying in Europe, put ads out, ask around for people to share aircraft with. There must be others in the same situation.

I flew with a guy the other day that waited 10 years for his first job. He could not find a job, run out of cash, license expired etc etc. Anyhow he made it back into the business eventually and is now an airline captain. You just never know in this business.

boeingbus2002
24th Aug 2008, 14:12
Brainstorm- Just the kind of thing I was asking about. Thanks. Shows that some do have big breaks in flying and stil obtain jobs. (Although not easily I'm sure!)

Vulcan607 - Flying for fun of course doesnt have to be on a twin. I was thinking of "constructive" hours which would also boost a CV. Of course flying a single is better than no flying at all.

The key issue is also keeping skills and knowledge up to scratch, not just boosting hours for the CV. Even in GA flying, there have been so many changes regarding airspace and procedures in just a few months. I think at least if not flying, visiting your local club/school would allow you to hear about new developments.

Brainstorm
24th Aug 2008, 14:24
Frequently visiting your local club has other benefits. The ones that get hired are often the ones that are connected to aviation in some way, it is all about who you know. Ability has very little to do with it.

I got my first job through a contact, had it not been for that then I would probably still be job hunting.

mierda
24th Aug 2008, 16:44
Get an Instructor Rating!

corsair
24th Aug 2008, 19:09
I stopped flying for about 3 years but came back eventually. I made a mistake.

Get an Instructor rating or fly skydivers or tow gliders. You wanted to fly, so fly.

As for the downturn, well a friend was just called for interview with Ryanair (yes I know that means nothing) and I know someone else who has two job offers on the table. Both have less than 500 hours in their logbooks. How did they do it? They networked and stayed in the loop.

Just constantly reheating your ratings won't get you anywhere. Who is going to get the job? The person who was flies regularly and comes recommended by someone you trust or the pilot whose CV flops on your desk every now and then who doesn't fly much and about who you know nothing?

At an interview, who is going to look a better candidate at an interview? The pilot with many hours in his logbook gained from regular flying or the pilot who tells you of how he renews his rating every year and then goes back to his job selling shoes?

Easy really.

MIKECR
24th Aug 2008, 20:49
If you dont have the cash for an FI rating then try getting some glider towing or para dropping. Plenty clubs around:-

British Gliding Association - UK Map (http://www.gliding.co.uk/findaclub/ukmap.htm)

DropZoneMap (http://www.bpa.org.uk/dropzone/dzone.htm)

Also think about offering your services for safety pilot/pilot assistant work. Plenty operators, including private owners, who are using everything from light twins to king air's and various turbine singles. You probably wont be able to log anything(unless its light twin work) but it certainly puts you in the environment and brings on your experience. Great for developing contacts too, you just never know what might come out of it.