PDA

View Full Version : Gulf air

Giggey
24th Aug 2008, 09:21
Hi all.
Any info about Gulf air?
how is the situation? inflation? housing issues? salaries?routes? night stops?

would you go for it?

i have checked already the forum.
tks in advance

GJ.

Che Guevara
24th Aug 2008, 13:14
Situation - OK
Inflation - yes, worldwide.
Housing issues - much improved
Salaries - good
Night Stops - Fleet dependent
Would you go for it? - depends on what you are looking for..... I enjoy it, but thats me...don't know about you.Sorry I am being so short, but I am on minimum rest...that should tell you something...

Chao

Giggey
24th Aug 2008, 13:58
how's 320 life? Destinations ?

tks Guevara

Che Guevara
25th Aug 2008, 08:22
Hi again Giggey,

The 320 fleet flies around the Middle East and India. The flights are mainly out and back and are often 4 sector days. There are also the occasional night stops in India. Generally you are at home a lot in Bahrain, which is fine if that is what you want....great for families.
One of Gulf Air's best assets are it's the people, where there is a great sense of camaraderie in a friendly and relaxed atmosphere. This above all is the primary reason that many of us (expatriates) stay here.
Finally, Bahrain in general is a very easy and comfortable place to live.....except in the Summer of course.
Oh yes, nearly forgot...we get 52 days Leave every year which is fantastic.
None of these Gulf airlines are paradise, they all have their pros and cons, it all depends what you are looking for and if your glass is half full or half empty.;)
Well, I'm on minimum rest again so I have to go, hopefully I have answered some of your questions. The best way to decide of course is come for an interview, talk to other peolple and decide for youself.

Good luck

Sal-e
25th Aug 2008, 09:05
Gigs,

I agree with Che on this.
I've got a 95 hour month this month and to be honest, it didn't even feel it. I still had time for a social life because of how the rostering worked out. In fact, I've probably gone out for dinner/drinks/bries (legally) more this month than any other.

I think night-stops off-base are overrated. My favourite night stop is actually Bahrain. All my friends, social activities etc are here.

Bahrain is like most of the GCC countries but in a nutshell. This makes it bearable in that not too much time is spent in traffic to go anywhere.
You get what you make out of this place.

The personal interaction between office and worker at GF makes the work environment easy. You will most likely know all the names of the pilots and nearly all the flight attendants. Żou'll find that everyone at the fleet office will know you by name.

To me, I simply find GF/Bahrain with the best overall package.
But that's my opinion. Work hard, play hard.

brassplate
25th Aug 2008, 20:45
good for you sal.
why don't you have a word with the omanis who have slowly felt alienated by their so called 'brothers'?
how about the pilots with families here who intended on making a buck only to see that taken away by greedy landlords and schools that keep upping the rates whenever they see a gf raise?
have you noticed the increasingly dangerous state of the aircrafts you've been flying? buckling under the engineers and ground staff pressuring yet?
are you happy that decisons made by the commercial department is blindly followed by operations at the expense of safety, morale, and a basic good nights sleep?
i hope your social life is that good so as to numb you from the reality surrounding you.

obsidian
26th Aug 2008, 16:22
well said mr.brass...i did 97hrs on the a320...flyin in a half broken plane and stayin in ****ty hotels with mini rest...not my idea of flying or fun!:ugh:

Sal-e
26th Aug 2008, 16:43
Gee you guys. If you are not happy with the aircraft, there is provisions for you not to take it in the OMA. Go tell them to find another CPT/FO. If you are happy with the aircraft, then just shut up and perform. It does not come clearer than that.
I worked my butt off this month and guess what? I still had time for a healthy social life. I suggest you find life outside work. Believe me, if I can after this months roster, anyone can.
Like i said..."WORK HARD, PLAY HARD".

ex desert dweller
26th Aug 2008, 16:52
Don't become ill or woebetide die. Reread the posts on Capt Gammage.

Mechanical Backup
6th Sep 2008, 16:55
I have to agree with Mr. Brass. Wisely spoken, chapeau !!!
It is getting worse. And by the way the Aircrafts taken over from RJ...where absolutely cr...... ! Gulf-Air had to invest a fortune to make em flyable ...Right Brass ?

Sal-e
6th Sep 2008, 22:11
I've always said that all you need is 6 wheels, two wings, two engines and a tail. Anything above that is a matter of legality, personal skill, will, inclination, coaxing and diplomacy. If you are not happy, throw in the towel for someone else who is happy to start the mission. There is no shame in it.

Speedbrake Lever
6th Sep 2008, 22:43
Well said Sal-e

Did my time and still doing it somewhere else ( nearby)

but you got the point

you're either a pilot or a sony ... whimp

S.L.

brassplate
7th Sep 2008, 02:39
i'm sorry but i did not get paid enough to be a testpilot!!!

at gf, they say "fly like you train and train like you fly".
well let me say that every flight feels like a long-event sim session because of the things that go wrong.

maybe that is what they meant because you are certainly on edge flying their sh!t planes.