PDA

View Full Version : AOL - (Australia) Comments?

woftam
24th Apr 2001, 05:10
I am thinking of changing ISP's (for better global roaming capability).
Anyone got any thoughts/experience/advice regarding AOL (Australia).
Thanks.

lame
24th Apr 2001, 08:24
Not that I could post here without being banned from PPRuNE.

People all over the World ask me "why are you with those &%$#*&^?"

Someone asked me the other night, "what do you call someone who is yet to experience the full wonders of the Internet?"

Answer:- "an AOL user."

------------------
"I USED to be a PPRuNaholic, but now I'm CURED"

G.Khan
24th Apr 2001, 10:15
I use AT&T Global, seems to work quite well world-wide.

clownfish
25th Apr 2001, 16:40
I've never used them based only on the horror stories I've heard first hand from those that have. The initial free (sic) period sounds good but, as you can guess, isn't. Their is a lot of competition is Oz at the moment that beats this crowd anyway. If your after a global ISP, I use GRIC with a SIN based ISP as the account host...I wouldn't necessarily recommend them but it works for me. BTW in Oz I use the One Net unlimited plan at AUD$21.95/month and find it OK for use around the country.

lame
25th Apr 2001, 23:52
clownfish,

Someone else, not on PPRuNe, recommended one.net to me the other day, might give them a try, got to be better than AOL, thanks.

"lame"

------------------
"I USED to be a PPRuNaholic, but now I'm CURED"

Sector3
7th May 2001, 13:07
iPrimus (http://www.myaffiliateprogram.com/u/iprimus/b.asp?id=1064) is Australia's top-rated ISP.

I have been using them for over a year and the service, connections and throughput are fantastic. They also have an international roaming facility.

Highly Recommended!

[This message has been edited by Sector3 (edited 07 May 2001).]

Binoculars
7th May 2001, 13:37
Sector3, the catch as revealed by your link to their website is the monthly download limit. That is also the reason I use Ozemail Unlimited in preference to BigPond. 425Mb may sound a lot, but try listening to Internet radio and see how long it takes to chew up that amount.

By the same token I am gobsmacked that any broadband operator would put a pissant download limit on their plan, or that anybody would sign up for such an offer it. Isn't that the idea of broadband?

I shouldn't get started on broadband; it bugs me no end that I can't get broadband because I live outside the golden triangle.

GRRRRRR!!!!!

Capn Laptop
12th May 2001, 16:03
Avoid One Net like the plague.

Their tech support is non existant, you constantly have problems connecting, and when you do you get kicked off for no valid reason.

One Net are, in my limited experience, the worst ISP I have ever dealt with

Be Warned!!!!

The Fokker's chocka ocker
12th May 2001, 23:30
Noticed the Baghwan Rajneesh in the background on the teeve?

So you're warned, the Bagwan's policy on having sex with anyone in orange is renowned.
Who can blame a Baghwan though?

And i believe this policy may now extend to AOL users.

------------------
solly ocker she's chocka

Bird Strike
17th May 2001, 13:57
Telstra BigPond has an international roaming system. Although it works out pretty expensive, their roaming seems to offer a wide range of countries.

Go to www.telstra.com (http://www.telstra.com) and doa search on "international roaming" for further details.
I cannot comment on their roaming service, as I have not used it though. I use their cable service and apart from around 2 severe server problems per month until a few months ago (it seems to have been OK lately), everything seems quite good, and I do not have any intention of changing my ISP right now.

I believe AT & T's roaming is around the same surcharge as Bigpond's, but I heard that the counties and locations covered by their roaming arrangement are not quite as wide. You should be able to find out more at www.attglobal.net. (http://www.attglobal.net.) The people I know who use AT & T say that it's OK but the connection speed is usually low.

I tried AOL for a month and chopped them as I did not like the interface and did not like the slow speed.

clownfish
17th May 2001, 17:52
Thats interesting Cpt Laptop because I have now given Ozemail (having discharged Big Pond, Smartchat and a couple of smaller ones before them) the flick and am soley using One Net. In the past three months I have logeed in first time every, have not had a single disconnect and am getting much faster connect speeds.

I must admit I havn't had a need for tech support and I did have an argument with the dumb chick with whom I set the account up with (when she asked if I had read the terms and conditions, I asked if she had; she said she had not, so I insisted on only talking with someone who had). But apart from that so far it is the best ISP I have used (in Aus).

Have tried Big Pond for global roaming and can confirm it is as big a rip off for this service as it is for domestic Aus use, and cannot comment on ATT because I can't use it where I go.