PDA

View Full Version : How to stop windows XP autosending info

Bomber Harris
24th Feb 2002, 15:24
I got a new computer with XP loaded. It was a 'PC world' package. It came loaded with freeserves internet access package. However, I use AOL. Whenever I'm not logged on to the net, freeserve software tries to connect to the net to send some info to a website address (cache.freeserve). Therefore, when I AM logged on it is sending the info without me even knowing, I'm sure.

Obviously I'm peeved at freeserve software trying ot do this. But it seems to be integrated into XP and I can't uninstall it. I have switched off the autodial function but it keeps trying.

Does anybody know how to get rid of this software from freeserve?

Squiddley
25th Feb 2002, 08:38
I'm not familiar with freeserve, but can you uninstall anything called "Freeserve" in the "Add/remove programs" option of the control panel?

If not, you can install the free version of <a href="http://www.zonelabs.com" target="_blank">Zone Alarm</a> and when it asks if the offending program should be allowed to access the internet, selcet "NO" and tick the "remember this action" box. That should cure it as a last resort.

I'd also suggest a snotty call to PC World and/or Freeserve to ask what the heck their game is!

Hope it works out.

BoeingBoy
27th Feb 2002, 14:05
Bomber, Squiddley is close to the mark, I too have a computer sold by PC world loaded with Freeserve. I use BT for dial up.

Sadly freeserve's program is non-uninstallable so you can't access it in add/remove programs. You will have to delete the freeserve folder from your C drive and make AOL your default dial up number again. Sadly you will be left with the freeserve logo at top right of IE6 but at least you know you have blitzed them out. I just ran a search for all files and folders named 'freeserve' and deleted the lot. Worked OK for me!

Zone alarm is essential as it's frightening to see just how many programs in XP are looking to find access to the net. My local chinese computer shop are adamant that XP was only made available so quickly and cheaply to computer manufactures to provide the means to get information off your drive more easily.

[ 27 February 2002: Message edited by: BoeingBoy ]</p>

mfuller_uk
28th Feb 2002, 20:35
To get rid of the freeserve logo which takes the place of the IE logo in IE6 and OE6 all you need to do is re-install IE6 and this will overwrite thje file that the freeserve file that changes it from the what the logo should be.

Hope this is of help and it works.

Michael Fuller PAFP. [email protected]

TR4A
28th Feb 2002, 21:02
From Freeserve's Web site

<a href="http://www.freeserve.com/help/id/6109.htm" target="_blank">http://www.freeserve.com/help/id/6109.htm</a>

How do I remove Freeserve from my computer?

If you experience any problems while installing Freeserve on your computer, it is sometimes easier to remove what you have installed and start again. Below are some easy, step-by-step instructions on how to remove Freeserve from your computer. Important: please close any open programs before you start this process. And this is what you do:

1. Go to your desktop. This is the basic computer screen you see whenever you have no programs running. Double-click on the My Computer icon then double-click on the Control Panel icon

Double-click on the Dial-Up Networking icon . .Right click on the icon containing ‘Freeserve’ . .Click on Delete . .Confirm the deletion by clicking on Yes . .Close the Dial-up Networking window . .This process can be repeated for any other icons containing Freeserve in this window. . .2. Open Outlook Express [If your computer tries to connect to Freeserve cancel the dial-up connection to work offline]

Click on the Tools menu . .Click on Accounts . .Click on the Mail tab . .Click once on the Freeserve mail account to highlight it . .Click on Remove . .Confirm that you want to remove the mail account by clicking Yes. This process can be repeated for any other Freeserve mail accounts. . .Click on the News tab . .Click once on the Freeserve news account to highlight it . .Click on Remove . .Confirm that you want remove the mail account by clicking Yes. This process can be repeated for any other Freeserve news accounts. . .Click on Close . .Close Outlook Express . .Click on Start at the bottom left hand corner of your screen . .Click on Find (Search on Windows ME and Windows 2000) . .Click on Files and Folders . .In the ‘Search for files or folders named’ box type in 'signup.isp' . .Click on Find Now (Search Now on Windows ME and Windows 2000) . .Right click on the file 'signup.isp' in the Search Results window and select Delete (the file should be in c:\program files\internet explorer.) . .In the ‘Search for files or folders named’ box type in 'welcome.exe' . .Click on Find Now (Search Now on Windows ME and Windows 2000) . .Right click on the file ‘welcome.exe' in the Search Results window and select Delete (it should be in c:\program files\internet explorer) . .Close the Search Results window . .This will have removed Freeserve from your computer apart from a small amount of branding in Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. This can only be removed by signing up for a new ISP (Internet Service Provider). . .Freeserve Internet Wizard . .To stop the Freeserve Internet Connection Wizard launching repeatedly:

Double-click on the My Computer icon on your desktop. . .Double-click on the hard drive – usually named Local Disc [C:] . .Double-click on the Program Files folder . .Double-click on the Internet Explorer folder . .Right click on the SIGNUP folder, then click on Delete . .Confirm that you want to send the folder to the Recycle Bin by clicking on Yes

Tinstaafl
2nd Mar 2002, 00:56
It's not true that IE must be reinstalled to remove branding. Branding is specified in a key in the registry.

You can remove the branding by editing the registry ('Start' -&gt; 'Run', type 'regedit' in the window).

Can't remember the exact registry location but it's something like 'H_Key -&gt; Local_machine -&gt; Software -&gt; Microsoft -&gt; Internet_Explorer'.

The key that forces IE to use the branded icon is called 'Branding'. Removing this key stops the branding. IE uses its own logo by default if this key is not present.

Sorry I can't be more specific. Can't remember exactly because it's been a couple of years since I've had to do it.

A search of M$ knowledge base or possibly even Google et al should find the information to remove the branding.