PDA

View Full Version : No motor sport ?

phnuff
23rd Aug 2008, 10:37
Hey folks. I have just realised something. This is about the first time I can remember F1 & MotoGP having a summer break - of 3 weeks. Strangely, this break coincides with the Olympics. I wonder if some of the 20bn+ Olympic cost has been used to buy the break so as to keep attention in China.

(Slightly tongue in cheek question, but . . . . . )

spekesoftly
23rd Aug 2008, 11:40
Perhaps you missed the Czech MotoGP race last Sunday ?

Although you didn't miss much, because after Casey Stoner came off the rest was pretty boring - unusual for MotoGP.

Eagle402
23rd Aug 2008, 11:44
Moto GP always takes a 3-4 week summer break. Thankfully Casey Moaner came to his senses and realised how pathetic his Laguna outburst was and has apologised to the good Doctor!

PLovett
23rd Aug 2008, 12:30
Moto GP always takes a 3-4 week summer break

As does F1 and has done now for some years. No testing allowed either.:ok:

frostbite
23rd Aug 2008, 12:58
Oddly, F1 has come back just in time to clash with the closing ceremony of the Olympics tomorrow.

I'm hoping it will be worth watching.

mocoman
23rd Aug 2008, 17:51
Which one? :}

I am willing to put money on Valencia being quite a spectacle in itself. I'll be rushing back to my hotel to watch that; then hope to catch the fireworks in town here after the yawnfest that is the Olympic handover.

:ok:

JEM60
24th Aug 2008, 08:34
As the F.1 and Motogp seasons are getting longer in duration, this break, for several years now, was introduced to give the mechanics et al some quality time with their families. It is as simple as that!!!

Al Fakhem
24th Aug 2008, 14:29
Well, it's halfway point in this year's European Grand Pricks, and I've switched to watching Sri Lanka vs. India.

Like Maggie Thatcher, Bernie Ecclestone is clearly suffering from serious brain damage. The track at Valencia is ridiculous - flat as a pancake.

We used to have great tracks such as Spa in Belgium and Zeltweg in Austria, which were not only twisty but also had some altitude variation. What we are increasingly getting from Hermann Tilke - supposedly a star architect of motor racing circuits but clearly as dull as a dodo- are extremely boring and unchallenging tracks. Why do we not see F1 cars getting some air between the track and the floorpan? Why not seriously challenging curves in a downhill section? Are today's drivers not capable of locating the brake pedal?

And the next brainwave from these imbeciles is.... a street circuit in Singapore. I can't wait to see my BP going through the roof. BTW: is this the same Singapore that charges ridiculous sums of money to restrict car ownership in order to battle traffic congestion? How come they can now put aside roads for a boring F1 street race? There must be money flowing straight into the Lee family pocket.

Give me cricket any day :D

PLovett
24th Aug 2008, 15:02
AF

We have Spa again in a few weeks. One of the few really great circuits left on the F1 calendar.

The Singapore circuit was going to have Tilke involved and he did some preliminary work but the Singapore government's desire to get the track to run past some of its iconic buildings pretty much set the track. It will be interesting though especially the tunnel under the grandstand.:uhoh: