PDA

View Full Version : Boeing Going

RodH
23rd Aug 2008, 04:04
Boeing to slash up to 600 Melbourne jobs

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200707/r158725_577732.jpg (http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200707/r158725_577745.jpg)The Dreamliner contract will escape relocation to Sydney. (Reuters: Robert Sorbo)

Aircraft maker Boeing will slash up to 600 jobs from its Melbourne plant at Fishermen's Bend by the end of next year.
All production at Boeing's Melbourne base, except for its Dreamliner contract, will be relocated to its Sydney plant, with 350 jobs immediately axed.
A Boeing spokesman says workers have been aware of the job cuts since May.
But Australian Manufacturing Workers Union (AMWU) state secretary Steve Dargavel says the manufacturer is slashing jobs needlessly, as it attempts to drive up the price of its Sydney site.
"We believe that this company plans to sell the Sydney site and it is about trying to increase the sale price of that site by transferring contracts there," he said.
"This is the short-term profit gouging of which the union speaks. It is absolutely that this company sacks hundreds of workers from this site.
"In this case it is not because of market downturn, it is because the company has decided to act in its self interest at the expense of the workforce and the community," he added.
"We think that this company needs to be held to account by government."
Yesterday car maker Ford announced it would be cutting about 350 jobs at its Broadmeadows and Geelong plants.

Wod
23rd Aug 2008, 06:52
I know it is just a Press report, but if a company fails to act "in its own self-interest", it hasn't much of a future.

flying-spike
23rd Aug 2008, 22:32
I know it will be of little comfort to those people in Melbourne but at least this time the cuts started at the very top.

Capt Wally
24th Aug 2008, 02:21
Sign of the times. I feel that this country is in for a big shake-up not just the aviation sector but ALL industries as we try to compete with an ever changing economic climate, of which is in a downward spriral worldwide. My opinion only of course.

If you have a secure job then hang on to it!

Best of luck to those recently displaced.:)

what this space !

CW

ElPerro
24th Aug 2008, 10:52
Australian Manufacturing Workers Union (AMWU) state secretary Steve Dargavel says the manufacturer is slashing jobs needlessly, as it attempts to drive up the price of its Sydney site.

What qualifications does Steve Dargavel have in Corporate Finance or accounting?

"In this case it is not because of market downturn, it is because the company has decided to act in its self interest at the expense of the workforce and the community,"

Really Steve, care to give a single example of when the AMWU has not operated in the "self interest" of the members "at the expense of " everyone else in society.

Naturally Steve is right. The director's should not be complying with their legal obligation towards the shareholders.
:=

airtags
24th Aug 2008, 11:02
Capt Wally is on the money (pardon the pun) - tiz the way of the world and probably more to come.

El P:
Agree - The union quote however is a little too left field given the relative nett returns of the properties in and around the Boeing site.

I would have thought there were better defences than potential real estate gains.

Best wishes to those people affected.