PDA

View Full Version : Single phone line

boofhead
23rd Apr 2001, 07:13
I cannot find the reference to setting up the PC with one phone line, allowing a choice of functions for incoming phone calls while on line. Can someone help? Thanx in advance.

ExSimGuy
25th Apr 2001, 13:15
I assume you're in UK, Boof. The answer is that you can't (unless someone pops up to contradict me who know better)

To a regular BT line, your computer's modem looks just like any other telephone and the exchange thinks you are busy.

I believe that if you have a "call waiting" service available where you live, the "beeps" that puts on the line are likely to drop the modem connection, but I don't think it's guaranteed.

Your best answer would be to get another line - and I believe my son got a deal where his calls to his ISP are free (which is why I often see him logged on all night while he downloads games as he sleeps!)

juswonnafly
25th Apr 2001, 14:38
Boofhead,

Check with btinternet, they have a piece of software that allows you to take calls while still surfing (you need a bt internet account though)

JWF :)

BOAC
25th Apr 2001, 18:35
There was a thread a few months ago about this. For UK I think a programme called 'OCM' or similar allows this if you have 'call waiting' or some other BT service. Try searching back in this forum.

Benny
25th Apr 2001, 19:06
I got a call display unit from "Staples" for about £30. When using call waiting it'll tell you the number of the other person calling. You can then decide whether to go offline and answer the call or stay connected. I think the box is called a caller dislay 2000.

HOGE
25th Apr 2001, 20:34
Go to www.ocmuk.com (http://www.ocmuk.com) and download their program. It's free, but you'll be charged for diverting calls while online.

[This message has been edited by HOGE (edited 25 April 2001).]

Sharjah Night Shift
25th Apr 2001, 22:57
If you have a mobile phone before going online with your computer dial in on your phone

*67*mobile number#

This will divert incomming calls to your mobile if the line is busy. There is no need to answer the mobile and incur added cost just check who is calling on the display.

To cancel call diversion use

#67#

Airbanda
27th Apr 2001, 00:57
Demon's offer, http://www.demon.net/products/access/callmanager/
Somewhere in the small print it says you neeed to subscribe to a BT service as well but looks like it fits your spec.

[This message has been edited by Airbanda (edited 26 April 2001).]

Background Noise
30th Apr 2001, 02:08
Freeserve have got a service which tells you when a call comes in while you are on line - or something like that. Try:

http://www.freeserve.com/communications/callmanager/?redirect=int

PS: This lets you talk via the computer and remain on line, and has caller display.

[This message has been edited by Background Noise (edited 29 April 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Background Noise (edited 29 April 2001).]

boofhead
30th Apr 2001, 09:12
That's the one, thanks fellows, appreciate your help.