PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar Aircraft Skids Off Runway in Siem Reap

Lithgow
22nd Aug 2008, 14:18
Anyone with more details?

Happened on August 21, apparently...

Tester Call 121.5
22nd Aug 2008, 14:23
Apparantly burst tyre, and some associated anti skid fault.
Handled well from all reports I hear. But that is from people onboard.

mates rates
23rd Aug 2008, 02:40
welcome to asia in the wet season !!!

Mstr Caution
23rd Aug 2008, 03:51
By Mark Schliebs
August 22, 2008 10:55am

A JETSTAR plane partially slid off a runway in Cambodia as it came in to land in wet weather, slashing a tyre.
The Jetstar Asia flight from Singapore to Siem Reap-Angkor international airport, carrying 144 passengers, landed in the rain yesterday morning, with reports the plane’s fuselage also scraped along the ground during landing.

A Jetstar spokeswoman said an investigation was being carried out.
“It was a flight from Singapore to Siem Reap… it was a very rainy day,” the spokeswoman said.

“When (staff) did a go-around of the aircraft after landing, they discovered that one of the left hand tyres wasn’t fully deflated but it obviously had some cuts on it, and there was mud on the aircraft.

“There was not permanent damage to the aircraft and no injury to passengers."
“Because there was only damage to the left-hand wheels, it would be incorrect to say that the aircraft totally left the runway… there was nothing wrong with the right-hand wheels.
All passengers “disembarked as normal”, she said.
The A320 would fly back to Singapore later today.
A NEWS.com.au reader said the plane “left the runway and blew a tyre and scraped the ground”.
Another reader, who was booked on the plane’s flight back to Singapore yesterday, said the airline put him up at a motel while another flight was organised.

“We’ve been told that technical difficulties in Siem Reap have caused the cancellation for a full 24 hours,” he said last night.
An airline spokeswoman said all passengers were later put on another flight.

from the Perth Times

Dream Land
23rd Aug 2008, 06:22
welcome to asia in the wet season !!!And what does wet season have to do with leaving the runway? :confused:

lemel
23rd Aug 2008, 08:58
welcome to asia in the wet season !!!

coz we dont have a wet season in northern australia???????:ugh:

Lookleft
23rd Aug 2008, 09:00
And before we all get too excited it was Jetstar Asia, who I think have plenty of experience in dealing with an Asian wet season.

Mstr Caution
23rd Aug 2008, 09:39
Because there was only damage to the left-hand wheels, it would be incorrect to say that the aircraft totally left the runway… there was nothing wrong with the right-hand wheels.

I love this part, its ok to have one set of main gear off the runway as long as the other gear stays on.

It's like saying the Spanair aircraft in Madrid never crashed on takeoff cause it actually got airborne.

MC:8

Muff Hunter
23rd Aug 2008, 22:50
mastercaution,

carefull about launching bolders from glass houses!!

Sky Dancer
25th Aug 2008, 13:51
Yeah well the truth is ...the crew messed it up....unless of course we are to think that Jetstar crew never mess up...

Ndicho Moja
26th Aug 2008, 03:12
Sky Dancer, you say the crew messed up. This would suggest that you have factual details. Care to share so the rest of us avoid that same?

B737NG
26th Aug 2008, 06:54
For all of us who do not know REP as well: The Approach is only into 23 with a slight offset to the RWY. Minimum is 330 ft MSL and the required Visibility is not much more then a straight in ILS with no Approach lights.....

Tailwind is often present and the required filed lengh in some non-normal condition can be exceeded by the accumulating facts. Now to all the Experts out there: Do you open your perfomance manual before every landing and calculate the landing distance? 8.300 ft is the LDA if I recall that correct.....
Do the numbers and then judge. The rain in Asia is more then I have seen somewhere else before. After 8 Taifun / Monsoon seasons I can smile about a nice shower in Ireland or Scottland.

If the ANTI-SKID fails during the landing roll what would can you do? If it was u/s before then you better have a piece of Paper with the numbers within the limit on the given day and moment that shows that there was sufficient wet RWY available to stop the plane safe. A Prosecutor has sufficient time to find a PhD Holder who makes him the numbers right to use them against you. He can and will use them against you in all cases as it is the easiest way to close a case and blame the Crew.....

I am glad it was only material damage that can be paid with some bucks and nobody got s scratch on his skinn.....

Fly safe and land happy

NG

Capt Chambo
27th Aug 2008, 23:39
Wasn't there as of the evening of the 26th August:)