PDA

View Full Version : Help for Heroes Rugby Match

Tarnished
22nd Aug 2008, 09:16
I have searched (briefly), sorry if this has been posted before, but worthy of a second airing even if it has already seen the light of day.

Help for Heroes Challenge Match (http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/rugby_intro.html)

Rugby fund raiser for Headley Court, Sept 20th at Twickers.

Should be a good day out for a good cause.

Tarnished

SRENNAPS
25th Aug 2008, 07:23
Just posted this to "get it back" to the top of page 1 and in sight.

Why not make it a sticky until the 20 Sep?

ralphmalph
25th Aug 2008, 20:02
The match ball was planned to be flown into the game. However, the powers that be at JHC thought the risk too great!...

Shame, would have been a good bit of PR.

SRENNAPS
27th Aug 2008, 05:22
Morning All:)

Fly3
27th Aug 2008, 10:16
Who won? Apart from Help for Heroes that is.

Fly3
27th Aug 2008, 10:18
My apologies. I am getting senile! Wrong month

SRENNAPS
28th Aug 2008, 05:41
Morning again:ok:

Now I am on leave for the next two weeks so could somebody keep posting on this to keep it at the top.

Of course it could be made a sticky until the game:rolleyes:

Support our heros and of course Rugby is the best game in the world.

Thatch
28th Aug 2008, 08:14
The match ball was planned to be flown into the game. However, the powers that be at JHC thought the risk too great!...

Shame, would have been a good bit of PR.

A few months back I saw a Chinook hovering in the stadiums car park, made for a double look when I saw it in the wing mirror. :eek:

Neil

Solid Rust Twotter
28th Aug 2008, 16:05
Don't the Lead Nevilles have a mob of amateur hooligans who could carry it in from something with an in flight door?

animo et fide
28th Aug 2008, 18:58
Thatch

that was just a training trip for a guy who has gone on to another unit and we were just landing at Kneller Hall

SRENNAPS
31st Aug 2008, 17:44
So sad that most of you can’t find the time to keep this thread alive. Ashamed; I would be if I was still in. :(

jockspice
31st Aug 2008, 17:52
So sad that something as worthy as this can't be made a sticky, but I suppose TSR2 prints are very important. :}

N Joe
31st Aug 2008, 21:16
It would be nice to make it a sticky - however, the thread's done it's job for me. I heard of the match when I saw this thread started and I'll now be taking a group to the match.

N Joe

Vox Populi
1st Sep 2008, 10:41
Back to the top.

Good to see a journalist having an idea that gets general support on 'prune!

Must be a first!

AYTCH
1st Sep 2008, 20:09
Less than 3 weeks to go! For God's sake...why won't someone make this v important charity thread a sticky??? :confused::confused::confused:

N Joe
2nd Sep 2008, 18:09
RAF News is on board with a back-page article listing the 6 RAF guys that will be playing.

N Joe

SRENNAPS
3rd Sep 2008, 02:30
Thats me off on holiday this morning. I am back in time for the game. "Come on Gibbsy".:ok:

Tarnished
3rd Sep 2008, 14:23
Tickets arrived today, small stag party of 16, giddy with excitement for a cracking day out.
Posting to keep it visible

Zoom
3rd Sep 2008, 16:19
Can someone publish the names of the players on each team - 2 names per day should do it nicely?

N Joe
3rd Sep 2008, 17:15
Josh..........

skippedonce
5th Sep 2008, 09:22
Tickets still available at £20.

Vox Populi
5th Sep 2008, 22:20
Twickenham is in Middlesex, quite close to London, in case anybody needs to know.

VP

L1A2 discharged
6th Sep 2008, 18:45
sadly Cornwall is not near Twickenham, despite our efforts at regular occupation.

Can't go, :{ sending money instead :ok:

and .... back to the top .....

TMJ
8th Sep 2008, 14:57
Those unable to make it to HQ may be interested in another, somewhat less star-studded, charity game this weekend. The Royal Anglian Regiment Memorial Rugby Match will be held at Hitchin RFC at 1430 on Saturday 13 Sep, with a Regimental XV taking on a Hitchin Club XV. There is no ticket charge; there will, however, be a collection and a raffle in aid of the Regiment's Benevolent Fund.

Hitchin Rugby Football Club (http://www.hitchinrfc.com/archives/2008/09/news_from_hitchin_rugby_club_a.html)

http://hitchinrfc.com/downloads/HRFC_Memorialmatch_LocalCommunity_V2.pdf

For those wondering where the military aircrew link is, the club is only about a quarter of an hour's cycle from CAM so anyone down for decompression or helmet fitting or whatever the growbags get subjected to in there this week could stay down for the game. Hitchin RFC has had quite a strong link with RAF Henlow down the years and the club chairman is dead keen on supporting the Forces. The game should be a good craic and the bar will be open all afternoon and into the evening...

skippedonce
9th Sep 2008, 12:48
Help for Heroes rugby captains Lawrence Dallaglio and Scott Gibbs invite you to watch them train on September 19.
The two rugby legends will hold an open training session from 10am-12pm which will see Lawrence’s Help for Heroes XV and Scott’s International XV take to the Twickenham turf as they prepare for the Help for Heroes Challenge Match the following day.
Martin Johnson, Jonah Lomu, Will Greenwood, Martin Offiah, Kenny Logan, Dan Luger, Mark Regan, Gordon Bulloch and Paul Volley are just some of the names that will be at the session.
After that a selection of players from both teams will be available in the stadium’s Rugby Store for a 20 minute signing session.
Entrance to the Help for Heroes Challenge Match training and signing session is free and everyone is welcome.

daze_gone_buy
10th Sep 2008, 19:43
Keep it on the front page

jockspice
11th Sep 2008, 16:42
back to the top

SRENNAPS
13th Sep 2008, 19:30
and back to the top again.

TMJ
16th Sep 2008, 08:46
Just a quick note to say the Royal Anglian game at Hitchin on Saturday went very well depite (because of?) the fact I got called to play in an away league fixture at the last minute. Great weather, a good show by the band, a lot of the Colts involved with a great game and a good time had by all still going on when I got back to the club. This Saturday's game should be an even better day out, so back to the top with this.

Zoom
16th Sep 2008, 11:50
Now, about those names.....

skua
16th Sep 2008, 11:55
according to the H4H website: Will Greenwood, Capt Robert Sugden (Coldstream Gds), and I am sure I recall reading that Jason Robinson was going to get involved.

Skua

Dan D'air
17th Sep 2008, 06:05
Back to the top.

Just got my tickets this morning, apparently there are still some available via Ticketmaster at £20. A small price to pay indeed.

Tarnished
18th Sep 2008, 19:23
Giddy with excitement.

See you there

SRENNAPS
19th Sep 2008, 20:31
Hours to go - cant wait.

As a Welshman always cringed when he got the ball. Hats off to a great Rugby Player:

Sky Sports | Rugby Union | Six Nations | News | Help For Heroes: Teams (http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12333_4166880,00.html)

Good luck to both teams and give us a good game.

SRENNAPS
19th Sep 2008, 20:58
I have dared to make a comment on the TSR2 Prints “STICKY” thread. If I get banned from PPruNe as a result please forgive me.

Zoom
19th Sep 2008, 22:19
I thought I saw Jonah Lomu's name included in the DT this am.

DummyRun
20th Sep 2008, 06:55
Just getting ready to drive up to Twickers for the H4H rugby, and back to the top.....:D

Roland Pulfrew
20th Sep 2008, 07:09
And a beautiful morning dawns on the day of the match; at least it is here in Buckinghamshire. I hope everyone that is going has a great day out, I am sure you all will. I just wish I was going but other commitments prevent me. Does anyone know if the match is being covered by terrestrial TV at all?

gar170
20th Sep 2008, 07:13
Its beeing shown on Sky sports 3 starts at 1.30.

good cider in fridge wife out happy days just need to remember to put £20 cheque in the post to H4H job done.

tonker
20th Sep 2008, 08:50
Thanks i'll watch that then.

top of page:O

gar170
20th Sep 2008, 11:18
if no body knows the teams are.

Help for Heroes XV
15. Mal Roberts (Army)
14. Mark Odejobi (London Wasps)
13. Will Greenwood (England)
12. Jason Robinson (England)
11. Dan Luger (England)
10. Alex Goode (Saracens)
9. Joe Simpson (London Wasps)
1. Nathan Catt (Bath Rugby)
2. Mark Regan (Bristol Rugby, England)
3. Tom Mercey (Saracens)
4. Rob Sugden (Army)
5. Scott Hobson (Bath Rugby)
6. Matthew Cornish (Royal Air Force)
7. Richard Hill (England)
8. Lawrence Dallaglio (England, captain)
Replacements
16. Martin Johnson (England)
17. Tom O’Keeffe (Royal Marines)
18. Richard Matthews (Royal Air Force)
19. Paul Volley (London Scottish)
20. Martin Offiah (Great Britain RL)
21. Dave Pascoe (Royal Navy)
22. Dominic Shabbo (London Irish)
23. Gareth Leonard (Royal Air Force)
24. Henry Barratt (London Wasps)

International XV
15. Justin Bishop (Doncaster Knights, Ireland)
14. Kristian Phillips (Ospreys)
13. Angelo Flammia (Royal Air Force)
12. Scott Gibbs (Wales, captain)
11. Kenny Logan (Scotland)
10. Rhys Priestland (Scarlets)
9. Guy Easterby (Otley, Ireland)
1. David Hilton (Scotland)
2. Gordon Bulloch (West of Scotland, Scotland)
3. Darren Morris (Worcester Warriors, Wales)
4. Gareth Llewellyn (Wales)
5. Howard Parr (Royal Air Force)
6. Dafydd Jones (Scarlets, Wales)
7. Colin Charvis (Newport-Gwent Dragons, Wales)
8. Joe Kava (Army)
Replacements
16. Shane Byrne (Ireland)
17. Shaun Ruwers (Worcester Warriors)
18. Marsh Cormack (Royal Navy)
19. Mark Lee (Army)
20. Zak Feaunati (Samoa)
21. Micky Young (Newcastle Falcons)
22. Matt Rhodes (Royal Marines)
23. Dafydd Hewitt (Cardiff Blues)
24. Jonah Lomu (New Zealand)

Although Jonah Lomu is now not playing due to injury.

tonker
20th Sep 2008, 13:16
15 mins to kick off

2Planks
20th Sep 2008, 15:41
What an afternoon! A fantastic day for GREAT Britain, The Armed forces and Rugby. Special thanks to the internationals for supporting our day. Just a couple of thoughts:

1. Ironic that Swiss Des was basking in the glory (and the welcome sun) at a charity event with the aim of providing money for a unit that should be funded by HIS department to provide world beating rehabilitation.

2. Shame about the empty seats - shows how many real rugby fans are in London. What a gesture it would be if all those who paid today are guaranteed tickets for the next Calcutta Cup at Twickers - anyone know anyone high up at the RFU??

2P (currently a bit futher than 30 miles from the A1!)

N Joe
20th Sep 2008, 20:25
What an awesome day! Couldn't give a stuff about politics or a few empty seats on the upper tiers - the 52,000 that were there created a great atmosphere and raised over £1.1m for H4H.

Whilst it is sad that injured Servicemen (and women) and bereaved families sometimes don't receive all the support they need from the State, today was a clear show that H4H and its supporters are at least doing something to repay the debt of gratitude that we all owe them.

N Joe

Zoom
20th Sep 2008, 20:58
Just found this on the Sky Sports website:

Some of the biggest names past and present put on a show to remember as a Help For Heroes XI beat an International XI 29-10 at Twickenham.

So it was football, was it?

:ugh:

Dan D'air
20th Sep 2008, 21:47
the 52,000 that were there created a great atmosphere and raised over £1.1m for H4H.

It was a really good day. The rugby wasn't that important, the cause was and still is. What a fantastic atmosphere there was there today. It was amazing to see some of the guys from Headley Court receiving much louder applause and appreciation than anyone else there. Truly a day in history.

SRENNAPS
21st Sep 2008, 07:51
Fantastic day. Just so glad we had the privilege to witness it.

A huge thanks to all that was involved in organising and supporting the whole event.

After the game, my wife had the idea of making it a yearly event, but shared between the big stadiums and Nations involved. Millennium stadium next year, Murryfield the year after etc, etc.

I think Help for Heroes will be around for a long time so why not?

Zoom
21st Sep 2008, 08:09
my wife had the idea of making it a yearly event, but shared between the big stadiums and Nations involved.

...and a good one too, but how about rotating the fundraising effort through different sports as well so that the pressure isn't always on one set of sportsmen/women? Could be football at the Millennium Stadium next year, mixed golf at St Andrews the next and so on.

TMJ
22nd Sep 2008, 08:58
2. Shame about the empty seats - shows how many real rugby fans are in London.

To be fair, the game was played on a Saturday afternoon during the season; a lot of us who would have liked to be there were playing. Others were officiating, running club bars etc. Had it been played on a Sunday, I know a fair few more people who would have been there (though I was stuck Orderly Officering so wouldn't have made it even then...) I suspect the decision for a Saturday game was to give people attending he opportunity to recover from the post (well, pre, intra and post) match celebrations before going back to work.

Good effort all round.

Zoom
23rd Sep 2008, 16:00
According to the DT, Scott Gibbs has proposed making it a biennial fund-raiser. Excellent news. :D

SlopJockey
24th Sep 2008, 15:52
Could be football at the Millennium Stadium next year

The foopballers were conspicuous in their absence to support the event in any way.

The weekly wage bill from a couple of the premier teams would sort out the funding requirements straight away but the overpaid glory girls are not generally recognised as being patrons of worthy causes.

PS Not a pilot! :ok:

muppetofthenorth
24th Sep 2008, 16:37
the overpaid glory girls are not generally recognised as being patrons of worthy causes.While I hate to ruin a good rant, this just isn't true. Lots of footballers give huge amounts to charity, but do it with little fanfare and little recognition - because stories about rich people giving away money and being nice don't sell newspapers.

Beckham is patron of who knows how many charities, not to mention the ones he set up himself.

Ole Solskjaer gave away the entirety of his testimonial money to charity [in excess of £1m].

Rio Ferdinand has given huge amounts to charities in his home of Peckham to tackle gang culture, knife crime and drug use.

Many footballers are UNICEF ambassadors.

Every Premiership club - and I would wager a fair amount of other clubs - have a huge number of charities that they directly look after with contributions from players' wage bills.

Sorry, back to your ranting...

Beatriz Fontana
24th Sep 2008, 16:40
Half arsed research alert... Wasn't there a football club that donated the wages for a day's game to NHS nurses? A very creative idea.

Oh, right, that'll be May Day for Nurses (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6650925.stm), then...

Al R
24th Sep 2008, 18:10
A quick shout out too, for the Might Quinn. :D

Charity to benefit from Quinn's testimonial - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?xml=/global/2002/01/21/sfnqui21.xml)

All together now..

"Niall Quinn's disco pants are the best,
They go up from his arse to his chest,
They are better than Adam and the Ants,
They are Niall Quinn's disco pants!" (http://www.last.fm/music/Manfred+Mann/_/The+Mighty+Quinn)