PDA

View Full Version : Worldwide Use Of UK ISPs?

scroggs
23rd Apr 2001, 04:08
I need to carry a laptop with me to allow me to keep up with my spare-time business, doing accounts, etc. And Pprune, of course! I used to have a US free ISP to allow me to connect to my various UK mailboxes, and which allowed me to update my website while in the US. Unfortunately, that ISP was taken over by one which thrusts non-deletable ads all over your screen, so I ditched it. What I ideally need is a UK ISP with local connection 'phone numbers, particularly in the USA but also elsewhere.
I know I can use Hotmail/Bigfoot from an internet caff to pick up e-mail, but I need to do more than that, and I don't want to pay $9.95 every day I'm in a hotel to use their own in-house system.
Any suggestions?

------------------
Scroggs
Wannabe Forum Moderator
[email protected]

stickyb
23rd Apr 2001, 12:02
Best I have found is compuserve.

Get on the American package - unlimited time for 18$ a month plus local call rates in nearly all countries.

Ditch their browser and mail reader though, I use IE 5.5 and outlook.

Cheers

ExSimGuy
25th Apr 2001, 13:08
I've used the $9.95 a day services (Xircom modem/Ethernet adapter in my laptop) in N.American hotels and I love it. The speed is terriffic!

I suppose I should add that it's when I'm on business and the company foots the bill, but I'd probably pay it if I had to, despite being known for my mean-ness :)

If you set up Outlook right, you can use all your addy's pretty much all of the time; problem is only getting that internet access when in another country.