PDA

View Full Version : UK loses prisoner data in latest computer stumble

Dream Land
22nd Aug 2008, 08:36
Oops, looks like it happened again, why so many computer blunders in the UK?

Link (http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/aug/22/prisonsandprobation?gusrc=rss&feed=politics)

22nd Aug 2008, 10:21
Makes a change. It's usually just the prisoners that they seem to lose.

Almost 700 inmates escaped in the year to last April (2007) from England's 15 open jails, Mr Wheatley estimated.
Earlier this week, the Home Office, replying to a Freedom of Information Act request, said 401 of the prisoners remained at large.

But the figures were compiled last May, and Mr Wheatley said he was "embarrassed" to admit he was unable to provide an accurate up-to-date figure because there was no central database for recording numbers of recaptured prisoners.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
22nd Aug 2008, 13:55
Maybe someone nicked the computer . . .

Standard Noise
22nd Aug 2008, 14:00
Some nonsense about inmates suing the govt because their details have been lost and may fall into the wrong hands!:ugh:

Mind you, gives hope to anyone else whose details have been lost by these idiots. Sue 'em!

why so many computer blunders in the UK
Because we are governed by lackwit bumpkins and ex-student radicals.

DAL208
22nd Aug 2008, 14:57
No, its because govt departments love to outsource everything to private companies. It's the private companies...some k**b jockey oxbridge ponce who gets to look after the information. Said k**b jockey goes to pubs with mates after work...leaves memory chip on table after showing off to fellow k**b jockey mates what is on it.

Capot
22nd Aug 2008, 15:02
why so many computer blunders in the UK?It's true about the UK Government (lackwit bumpkins etc etc), but the problem here is an incompetent UK Civil Service, staffed entirely by timewasters waiting for their overblown, guaranteed pensions, none of whom could run a chip shop, let alone understand IT.

About 3 years ago I recruited a middle level manager from the Social Security bunch of cretins. I sacked him for gross incompetence, in his role as office assistant, after 60 days and from there he found his true level of competence and managerial ability, in the world outside the UK's Civil Service.

He got a job stacking shelves in Tesco.

Edit; you're right about outsourcing, but the problem goes back to the incompetence of the Civil Servants who get ripped off by useless companies, because they (the Civil Servants) haven't got a clue.

DAL208
22nd Aug 2008, 16:03
Absolutely

trickii
22nd Aug 2008, 16:20
Information technology is new to civil servants and data is a dirty word.

I am glad to say the civil service has put in extra security controls which they are all prowd of...the data is so inaccurate it doesn't make sense even to them!

qwertyplop
23rd Aug 2008, 09:43
Capot wrote;

It's true about the UK Government (lackwit bumpkins etc etc), but the problem here is an incompetent UK Civil Service, staffed entirely by timewasters waiting for their overblown, guaranteed pensions, none of whom could run a chip shop, let alone understand IT.

About 3 years ago I recruited a middle level manager from the Social Security bunch of cretins. I sacked him for gross incompetence, in his role as office assistant, after 60 days and from there he found his true level of competence and managerial ability, in the world outside the UK's Civil Service.

He got a job stacking shelves in Tesco.

Edit; you're right about outsourcing, but the problem goes back to the incompetence of the Civil Servants who get ripped off by useless companies, because they (the Civil Servants) haven't got a clue.

With respect - what an utterly offensive and nasty post. So the guy did not work out for you - you then go on to base an opinion of governance on one interaction with one man and go on to belittle him because he did not fit into your way of working. Perhaps it's you that was at fault? After all - you recruited him. What does that say about you as a manager?

Vile.

I've got an idea. Let's abolish civil servants and give it all to the private sector. They won't lose the data, they'll just flog it to the highest bidder. :D

Hang on - it was a private company that lost it............

I'm confused. Not as confused as you clearly though.

Standard Noise
23rd Aug 2008, 17:00
As I said, we are governed by lackwit bumpkins. The same lackwit bumpkins have given PA Consulting (the company involved in this latest fiasco) millions of our hard earned sovs to do work on the new ID card nonsense. Still not worried about ID cards peeps?

G-CPTN
23rd Aug 2008, 19:27
So are they to begin with the inmates of HM Prisons when issuing Identity Cards?
Wouldn't that be deemed to offend their human rights (even though it might well be an intelligent idea to keep toot on offenders).
Just imagine if the likes of Paul Gadd had to show an identity card whenever they needed to access any service such as buying stamps or lager (or, in his case, sweets for children).
It wouldn't be quite as intrusive as having a number tattooed on their forehead, but at least it would be a step in the right direction . . .