PDA

View Full Version : EK A-380 Technical Thread

L1011
21st Aug 2008, 18:37
Hi there boys and girls,

This is a general call for the EK A 380 pilot group.

I would like to start a technical discussion forum for the aircraft, where us 'line-swine' can exchange tips and tricks.

This will be on the Emirates Private Forum. If you are not registered for this, please email [email protected] with your username and staff number and he will give you access.

The SIA Pilot's Association run a very good bulletin board for this that I am fortunate enough to be able to access - it is very useful. Since we don't have an onion, Pprune will have to do!

Will make the first post in a couple of days on some OIT Lido stuff that I have just figured out how to do.

Let's try to keep it upbeat and focused please. Whinging can take place elsewhere.

Cheers to all,

L10

disconnected
23rd Aug 2008, 17:39
Start by discussing its performance.

This aircraft is costing EK big money. The 777 beats it hands down.

Methinks this will be the undoing of our profit share....

Twoods
24th Aug 2008, 02:51
Get a life dude!
Your always on here complaining and crying with your pointless speculations.
Douchebag.

L1011
24th Aug 2008, 05:12
Disco Dear Boy, don't be so negative.

The economics of the beast are for TC and his crew to figure out. They are actually quite good at it y'know.

It is a great machine. Very complex though, and all I'm trying to do is to find a place for the guys to exchange information.

Made one post, let's see if anyone even reads it.

sispanys ria
24th Aug 2008, 06:50
Disco- It carries more and flies faster. There you go - better performance.

Have you tried to calculate the Specific Range per seat ? Just do it and compare with other machines. You might be surprised.

Townie
24th Aug 2008, 10:06
It is not quite as simple as that as in present config there are almost 50% more premium seats vs a 777. EK long haul does seem to enjoy good load factors in the premium cabins, but who knows how much is paid for said seats?

The 380 apparently is capable of flying faster than a 777. The EK spin machine claims it will fly to NY one hour quicker than a 777, but I think they're talking possibilities, not the reality of conforming to speeds on the OTS and present cost indexes. I stand to be corrected on that one.

I think this is best left to TC and the boys in yield management to figure if it's a money maker or not. With 50+ on the way, we should all be hopeful.

MTOW
24th Aug 2008, 10:18
s.r., I don't have the figures to do so. Are you saying the figures aren't good compared with (say) the 773, or the opposite?

In these days when we're asked to taxi single engine to save fuel, how long will EK drag 6t (or whatever figure it is) of water around the globe for a dozen FC pax to take a three minute shower?

disconnected
24th Aug 2008, 16:58
Grow up boys

The A380 is clearly a wonderful technological achievement and has many innovative improvements with regard to aircraft design and engineering.

And yes it is the biggest - so relax on that issue, anyone who is feeling a little insecure.

As regards the performance, I believe the figures are not particularly good. Still plenty of "ifs" and "whens"

Yes I have looked at the performance and in particular EK performances, loads etc. I'n not convinced.

Try some facts and figures that are more substantial than it "carries more" and "flys faster". I have heard better performance arguments from C152 pilots!

We are not going for speed records. Are we really going to fly it at 0.89? I'm sure I dont really have to explain the rest..

There are some good points on this thread too. I'll give it more thought.

Von Richtofen
24th Aug 2008, 18:24
Me first think all those indians should swim to London from Mumbai..or stay home. Less CO2
Me second think big aircraft big ****...very expensive.
Me heard someone saying that consuming less fuel per passenger than utilitary car.
Yeah right... but me think we should make experiment and he should drive from Dubai to New York in 13 hours..to prove his statement.
Auf viedersen