PDA

View Full Version : Click......... and w...a...i...t!!!

WideBodiedEng
24th Feb 2001, 04:33
I'm running Win98SE with IE5.5 and OE5.5. on a P3/500 with 190Mb RAM Sometimes when I click on a new link or the next topic there is no response. There is no "Opening page etc...." message at the bottom LH of the screen nor do the little computers on the RH side flicker. All that happens is the spinning globe stops at each click. I might do 20 or 30 clicks then it just fires up and works - as if to say "OK if I must, sigh" It happens in most sites not necessarily busy ones like PPrune and at any time of day. I feel it's the confuser/program as there is no sign of any reaction.
Anyone else have this problem?
Anyone have a solution? <G>

------------------
The Stamp is mightier than the Toolbox!!

Icarus
24th Feb 2001, 13:15
Try to see if anything here works.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q153/7/90.asp

R O Tiree
25th Feb 2001, 01:15
Have you got Java enabled? If not, your browser just stops loading the page as soon as it encounters a Java statement.

Just a thought....

QAVION
26th Feb 2001, 05:07
I've been having the same problems (even _with_ Java enabled) ever since I saw a PPRuNe "Down for Maintenance" sign (or something similar) last week.

Sometimes when I run my mouse across the highlighted lines at this site, the colour (sometimes...if it feels like it) changes, but doesn't take me to where I want to go. I reloaded Netscape with little, if any, improvement.

When I went to Tech Log today, I clicked on the Topic, but nothing but a blank page loaded.

If others are having this problem, presumably the PPRuNe managers will notice a drop in traffic.

Regards,
Q.

P.S. What sort of a modem do you have, WBE? I'm wondering if my 28k modem might not be "competitive" enough.

BALOO
28th Feb 2001, 02:32
WideBodiedEng
Is it possible that this problem is manufacturer related? I've got a Gateway - same problem and same spec as yours but only 128Mb Ram (very pleased :) with the computer I might add incase any lawyer reads this!) My son tells me that a friend of his also has the same problem with his Gateway.
I occasionally use my portable on the same line with no problems so I guess it has to be something in the grey box - either hardware or software that causes the problem. It's not the end of the world when it happens but it can get a wee bit frustrating at times! Anyone any other ideas?

WideBodiedEng
8th Mar 2001, 01:13
Thanks folks for the suggestions. I removed ActiveX but no joy. I don't see the point of disabling graphics (back to compuserve for that!)so I didn't try that. However I believe it's stopping before the request leaves my PC, therefore even the ISP isn't getting the request.
Interesting that Baloo is having a similar problem. I have a friend who was complaining the other day about Compuserve being slow. His symptoms are the same as mine!!
As Baloo says it ain't the end of the world, but...
Maybe its' a Win98SE thing. I've looked at the Microsoft FAQs but no luck.

------------------
The Stamp is mightier than the Toolbox!!

Pegasus912
8th Mar 2001, 02:40
Umm.. I've had a problem similar to this before when having lots of unnecessary network bindings and screwy routings. The quickest way to tell if this is the problem is to run ‘ipconfig’ from the command line while dialled up, if you don’t have any network cards and see more than one IP entry returned from ipconfig then you might have a problem...

Also, when these delays happen, check to see if you can ping the site (use ‘ping –t <site name>’ ;). If the ping, when it finally responds, remains constant but your delays in the browser continue, you almost certainly have a routing/DNS problem.

------------------
"The Trident was also very quick but the Comet was only a .72/.75 airplane"

PPRuNe Dispatcher
8th Mar 2001, 13:20
On occasions the site get VERY busy & your browser might "time out" waiting for a reply. It is something we are aware of and are working on.

The other suggestions re. Java, Javascript and IP routing are also possibilities. Given what must all be working for any web page to show, I'm surprised the internet works as well as it does!

---PPD

---PPD

Flybywyre
12th Mar 2001, 21:21
I've got the same problem except mine has taken a turn for the worse today. I keep getting a message come on the screen saying "to display this page properly you need to download...Visual basic scripting support" then when I press the download button this comes up,
A fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028:c001545A
Then when I press any button (as it tells me too )this message comes up
A fatal exception OD has occurred at 0246:014747FB
Also my desk top has changed colour, it's a nice Navy Blue but thats not the point is it.
What's going on???????

PPRuNe Dispatcher
13th Mar 2001, 02:00
I can't think of a single reason why you would need visual basic scripting support to display a PPRuNe page, especially as our server doesn't use a Microsoft O/S.

In fact I often use Unix machines of various flavours to access PPRuNe, and VB scripting support isn't available on any of them.

Is your virus checker up to date?

---PPD

Flybywyre
13th Mar 2001, 21:49
PD...............
Yes, and last night I ran a scan and nothing was found. I decided to reload IE and this seems to have done the trick EXCEPT every now and then I still get the page going blank and those "fatal exception" messages. I am going to re-load windows tonight to see if that sorts the problem out.
Thanks for your help!
Regards
FBW