PDA

View Full Version : Fun with the GPO.....

OFSO
21st Aug 2008, 15:48
I posted some pranks we GPO YIT's used to pull in the Good Old Days, and people liked them: well this one isn't a prank but it's funny - and it is true.

As a Youth In Training in Leicester I was called out with my boss to a factory where the telephone wouldn't ring, or so said the owner, "but I know when someone is calling because the dog chained up in the yard goes bow-bow....... bow-wow....bow-wow..... " to the exact rythm of a British phone calling signal.

Everyone fell about laughing at this ridiculous story, but we had to go and check the subs phone, of course.

When we got there the phone was dialling out OK but would not ring, and as the owner said - amazing to behold - the dog in the yard below indeed barked to the beat of a phone ringing.

We checked and found this.

The phone was a party line, two phones on one line, each rang by means of a signal sent to a different wire, through the phone, and down an earth wire, return through earth. We traced the earth wire to where it was clamped to a disused copper water pipe. Went downstairs, the water pipe came out of the wall and had completely corroded away before it entered the ground.

However the dog was chained to that same water pipe above ground, and the yard was damp. Every time the phone rang, it didn't, because the dog's electrical resistance was too high to enable enough current to get through and ring the phone, but the dog certainly felt the 90v a/c ring current and made his feelings known the way that dogs do !

A new eath wire relieved the canine extension bell of his duties......

RaF

Radar66
21st Aug 2008, 16:35
aw, bless! :)

Parapunter
21st Aug 2008, 16:47
A whole new meaning to: I'm on the dog...:}

frostbite
21st Aug 2008, 16:53
Should have used a Ring-tailed Lemur......

Blues&twos
21st Aug 2008, 21:48
What sort of dog was it? A Golden Receiver?

Sorry.

Arm out the window
21st Aug 2008, 22:27
... or maybe a Call-ie?

Radar66
21st Aug 2008, 22:40
or even a Rhodesian Ringback? :\

blue up
22nd Aug 2008, 07:37
Sp-ringer Spaniel, obviously.

Overdrive
22nd Aug 2008, 15:24
(s)peking-ese

B Fraser
22nd Aug 2008, 19:52
A four-wired terrier, a dialmation or maybe a minature strowger ?

ShyTorque
22nd Aug 2008, 20:53
Bell Terrier?

Sallyann1234
22nd Aug 2008, 21:13
Was it taken to Battersea Dogs Ohm?

Parapunter
22nd Aug 2008, 21:27
a Chat-huaua?

Yack Russell?

Wire terrier?

Arm out the window
24th Aug 2008, 06:36
Buzz-enji?

Chitzu (groan!)

or maybe Husky (for sex-line calls)

Arm out the window
24th Aug 2008, 06:41
Sorry...couldn't resist a couple more -

Sky(p)e Terrier

Wiremaraner.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
24th Aug 2008, 12:57
but it's funny not really

HKPAX
24th Aug 2008, 22:45
That Russian scientist did something similar with his dogs: rang a bell every time he fed them, and they would slobber every time they heard it.

Pavlov: that name rings a bell.....

The Flying Pram
26th Aug 2008, 14:43
Another true story - The officer in charge of the exchange where I was based used to spend rather a lot of time on the 'phone doing non work related business. This got my back up one day when I needed some co-operation to trace a fault, so I hatched a cunning plan.... We used lots of thermistors in those days, they were part of the ringing circuit in the shared service lines referred to above. They initially have a high resistance, but when a voltage is applied the resistance drops dramatically. I wired one of them across the dial contacts of all the the phones he normally used. ( This was long before DTMF tone dialing ).

When I got back later in the day he was doing his nut. He couldn't work out why none of his calls got through, and had spent ages trying to trace them through the exchange. The reason was that the first 2 or 3 digits would work and the initial dialing tone cleared, but subsequent ones were "shorted out" so the call never connected. He eventually saw the funny side, and we got on well after that!