PDA

View Full Version : Training in Canada

Ste88
21st Aug 2008, 12:23
Hello!I'm italian and i'm looking for a good flight school there, I know some school like PROifr, montair both in Vancouver. Great city to learn to fly, i think so. But recently I hear Moncton flight college.I know that is very large school with many aircraft; the enviroment is similar to a college. So it's seem very good.The price for a integrated course is about 42k$CAD.What about the condition to fly(meteo)?And the city of Mocton?Has someone experince with this school?Which is the best between those Flight school?

Pilot DAR
21st Aug 2008, 13:54
Hi STe88,

Moncton is well regarded, and I cannot speak for the Vancouver schools. Both areas have their share of wet weather, particularly during the winter. The scenery around Vancouver is beautiful, but you have coastal weather to deal with, so there may be fewer VFR weather days than other parts of Canada. Similarly, Moncton can be foggy, and interfere with VFR flying sometimes.

Also consider Brampton Flying Club, near Toronto. Certainly Ontario has it's share of poor weather, but there is no coastal effect so the weather seems a little more predictable day by day. In particular, winter flying will generally be below freezing, so there are fewer days flying in moisture, Cold dry days provide excellent opportunities for flying. Brampton Flying Club also owns their own airport, unique in Canada.

Good luck, Pilot DAR

Ste88
21st Aug 2008, 18:38
Hi!
thanks a lot for your answer. I'll visit the website of the school.

I have a problem 'cause the IATP cost 43k$CAD but they give me 195.5hrs. In my opinion for this price hrs is few!!
With others programm is the same, e.g. for ICPC they give only 186hrs!!!

what about it?

thanks!!

takamasa
23rd Aug 2008, 02:58
what kind of training are u looking for??

up to CPL or multi IFR rated??

winto22
23rd Aug 2008, 17:25
Hey Ste88

I would recommend Algonquin Flight Centre in North Bay Ontario ,

I'm currently training there and working on my Commercial at the moment along with my multi and multi IFR ,

There training standards are quite possibly the best in Canada and the instructors are brilliant,

There fleet is C152 , C172 , Piper PA 30 Twin Commanche,

The flight school is based on Jack Garland Airport In North Bay , it has 10000 ft rwy = 08 / 26 and 4500 ft rwy 18 / 36 , they have ILS , VOR / DME and NDB training aids aswell ,

They offer a very competitive price aswell for what you get ,

Algonquin Flight Centre - Welcome (http://www.algonquinflightcentre.com)

or have a look at Pilot Flight Training- Becoming a Pilot-Airplane and Helicopter Pilot Training (http://www.caacademy.ca)
PM me if u have any more Qs

talk to u soon

Chuck Ellsworth
24th Aug 2008, 00:35
There training standards are quite possibly the best in Canada and the instructors are brilliant.

That is a very big claim, could you enlighten us as to what baseline you used to come to that conclusion?

Are you one of their instructors?

fitliker
24th Aug 2008, 00:46
Be careful of the backwash when blowing your own horn :E

ea340
24th Aug 2008, 01:37
winto22
Welcome to PPRUNE a bit of a hard nosed group here as you may have noticed:ok:

winto22
24th Aug 2008, 23:54
all i mean by that statement is that there training program was developed around the Canadian forces training scheme which from what i hear or understand Canada have one of the best air forces in the world,

if the pilot training methods are based around that method and known to be taught correctly / up to standard then that proves my point .

im not an instructor yet at the school but hopefully will be by the end of this year / start of 09 ,

i suppose its fair to say that anyone can write all sorts of crap on the network but i can tell u 1 thing, the training method and standards are 1st class , :ok:

Chuck Ellsworth
25th Aug 2008, 01:39
winto22, I was not trying to be insulting I just wanted to bring some reality into this discussion.

I have no idea who the instructors are at that school but I do have a fairly good idea of what the quality of instructing is generally speaking in Canada under the present system as overseen by Transport Canada.

Barely adequate would be the best thing that comes to mind, however there are some very good instructors spread throughout the system and it is quite possible that school has some other schools good ones because they are not all that common.

The best way to determine the chances of finding "brilliant " instructors is to ask the question....if they are brilliant why would they be working for the abysmal pay that Canadian flight instructors get?

Now if Transport Canada got out of micro managing the flying school business and the schools started offering high pay say equal to the airlines I am sure that you would find far more brilliant instructors in the schools. :ok:

Ste88
25th Aug 2008, 15:29
Hi guys,I would to talk about JAA programme at MFC. I have the list of price effetive at sept 08 and i see u that with 34k€ i can follow a course from 0 to cpl/ir/me including the accomodation!!If you want i have the pdf!I think that it's very good chance to catch the JAA license.I know that the wather is not ever good but i think that starting in spring season, like april i have already done the VFR phase of my training when the weather change to bad.Bye bye!

airtids
29th Aug 2008, 23:41
Hi. I'm the CFI of Pacific Sky in Victoria, B.C. Pacific Sky Victoria flight training and charter services (http://www.pacificsky.ca)

Chuck has a point. What we can offer are flight instructors who are ALSO charter pilots, thereby bringing a depth of experience to the job few can claim.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM.

Robin

Ste88
1st Sep 2008, 14:10
I'm talking about JAA courses at moncton, MFC.I'would like work there while doing the course. Has someone experiences about this?Are any possiibility to work, just to live there?!