PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Records

JSaeroengineer
21st Aug 2008, 07:51
Hi everyone,
Regarding the horrific Spanair crash yesterday, when an aircraft crashes, what happens to the records of that aircraft? Do the CAA or EASA take the docs from tech records straight away?
I ask this because according to the press the MD82 had problems on initial pushback which the engineers sorted out, and signed off I guess. Then an engine failed on takeoff roll, or just after. I'm just wondering whether the CAA would have seized the records as soon as it happened.

Sorry if this is an 'amateurish' question.
Thanks,
JS

NutLoose
21st Aug 2008, 10:10
I would say yes...... In the RAF the documentation was instantly "quarrantined" for want of a better word....

The logbooks then have to be retained for two years after the Aircraft has been withdrawn or destroyed, and as the work packs are considered part of the logbooks, they need to be retained as well.

themoonsaballoon
21st Aug 2008, 13:06
All AOC operators have a commitment in their exposition (C.A.M.E) to retain records and grant access to interested parties as requested, these requests would certainly have been made but it is far to early to say if this incident is any result of the Line maintenance on the turnaround or even maintenanace related at all,
TMAB

Wodrick
21st Aug 2008, 13:45
I have only 'involved' in one accident which was many years ago (G-BDAN) and involved by virtue of being on shift.
Long before the media were aware of the accident the shift supervisor was instructed to remove all the records for this a/c from our filing system.
At that time we retained all records for a month before parceling everything up and sending it to Tech Records which were then at Lasham. So while I am not aware of a requirement it seems to be practice.
Usual disclaimer that someone will know better !

Rigga
21st Aug 2008, 20:34
As well as the above answers;

Most airlines of this size have an almost instant radio link to their maintenance and/or operations centers whenever an occasion/delay like the first snag happens, and the controllers would have a clear record of what happened at the last turn-back, or return to Stand.

Maintrol should have had some form of grip/involvement on the first 'snag' and how long it would take to repair it, as they would contribute to a decision to fix or replace the aircraft or whether to disembark the pax for the repair.

Finally, a copy of the sector record should/may have been faxed/sent to the operations/maintenance control as the aircraft left the Stand - though busy line engineers often leave this until later.

stankou
22nd Aug 2008, 21:54
As soon as a crash occurs ( few hours max), the police force takes the complete technical record of the concerned a/c and send this to the local authority for the enquiry. whatever the reason of the crash.

Domi
23rd Aug 2008, 15:09
This is the reason why copy of the techlog and copy of the weight and balance sheet is given to the ground staff prior each departure. The rest of the records (heavy maintenance, component inventory list, history of line maintenance, ....) is immediately 'quaranteened' by the authorities. All airlines must have a procedure for such 'emergency situation', I mean 'accident'.

NutLoose
24th Aug 2008, 00:02
All airlines must have a procedure for such 'emergency situation', I mean 'accident'.

Such as spray out all Company markings..... :rolleyes:

Domi
24th Aug 2008, 10:33
tech records, but also management of the crisis as a whole : list of passengers, assistance to passengers/families, communication with media, wrekage recovery, etc.... this plan is part of the IOSA standards manual ( IATA Operational Safety Audit (IOSA) (http://www.iata.org/ps/certification/iosa/) to be downloaded here : http://www.iata.org/NR/rdonlyres/6E494988-9670-4B51-8EDF-0CCFDBDCB960/60779/ISMEd2Rev1April2007withEd2Rev1TR1.pdf page 233 of the PDF document)