PDA

View Full Version : Sleep

Rollingthunder
21st Aug 2008, 01:24
I would have thought that by this time in human evolution we would have removed the need to spend one third of our lives unconcious. What a waste. We could add substantial time to our lives if sleep was not necessary. Is it really necessary or just a habit?

kiwi chick
21st Aug 2008, 01:36
Well, it depends on a lot of anomolies.

Like for instance, what one has before doing right BEFORE sleeping, and what one intends to to right AFTER sleeping. :E

If I've done PT during the day, or hard-out work in the classroom, then I definitely need 8 hours. Cannot function without it, and if I get less, I need approximately 13 coffees before morning joe time just to string two sentences together. :}

I don't think it's habit? :hmm:

Arm out the window
21st Aug 2008, 01:41
To see if it's necessary, just try going without it for as long as you can ... saw a doco about it where a bloke tried that, and he became a shambling wreck in just a couple of days.
I've read it's needed to let our brains filter, process and jettison the extraneous crap that it encounters when awake, to stop us going mad. Whatever the reason, I love it and would kill for a good sleep-in sometimes.

rotaryman
21st Aug 2008, 01:47
:p Would love to sleep with Kiwi Chick..:cool::E:ok:

sorry couldn't help myself...................................................... .........:eek:

kiwi chick
21st Aug 2008, 03:44
Hahahahaha! Was about to add something profound, but have suddenly lost my train of thought... :eek:

When we did Escape & Recovery on Survival Training, we effectively went without sleep for six days. To say I was a "shambling wreck" would be an understatement. :\ :{

SoundBarrier
21st Aug 2008, 04:11
"shambling wreck" <-- confirm that was after the Escape & Recovery on Survival Training :}

gearpins
21st Aug 2008, 05:28
Why do we need so much sleep? - Mysteries of the Universe - MSNBC.com (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3076707/)

sleep is when the..........sorry I fell asleep....:}

check out the link above:ok:

kiwi chick
21st Aug 2008, 05:53
SoundBarrier...

Why yes it was, and I forecast that I'll be getting a lot more sleep in the coming weeks than I have lately. :E

SoundBarrier
21st Aug 2008, 06:32
KiwiChick - You wish.

Davaar
21st Aug 2008, 13:46
Is it really necessary or just a habit

Not a habit, an impossible dream. I woke at 0715. During the night I watched the latest remake of Jesse James, endlessly tedious Olympics (the 85th heats in the foetal-position high-platform dive for under-twelves), documentary on how to make money in residential real estate, had my soul saved, watched a Parliamentary committee, and so on. Got up a few times to make tea, then back to bed. Last time got up to make tea was 0615. Aha! Must have slept from 0620 to 0715. Wnderful.

G-CPTN
21st Aug 2008, 13:59
I'm now regulated by medication, so I manage half a dozen hours sleep each night, but prior to my current regime I regularly went for 72 hours or more without a wink of sleep until, eventually, mental exhaustion overcame me and I'd 'grab' a couple of hours of sleep.
It's not fun . . .

I believe that there is a chemical that can 'overcome' the need for sleep (though I'm not aware whether it is permanent or merely postpones the requirement).

Orexin-A - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orexin-A)
Modafinil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modafinil)

Davaar
21st Aug 2008, 14:34
I believe that there is a chemical that can 'overcome' the need for sleep

Skip the stuff that keeps you awake.

What is the stuff that puts you to sleep? At one time I could rely on ten minutes of "The Elements of Roman Law" by R W Lee, but now even that fails me.

frostbite
21st Aug 2008, 15:36
The only drug that kept me awake, in fact the only 'leisure drug' I have ever taken, was when my Grandad gave me one of his prescribed LSD tablets in the 60s.

Spent most of the night driving the old boy around the Oxfordshire countryside.

Davetron
21st Aug 2008, 15:40
Who needs drugs to get to sleep when you could listen to Gordon Brown for 5 mins?

Rossian
21st Aug 2008, 15:56
As ever Mr Shakespeare saw it well:

"Sleep that knits the ravell'd sleeve of care,
The death of each day's life, sore labour's bath,
Balm of hurt minds, great nature's second course,
Chief nourisher in life's feast"

So there you have it; refreshment physical and emotional. I'd give a lot for an unbroken six hours a couple of times a month these days. I really envy my six year old grand daughter, who, after a really full day can reel off 14 unbroken hours and then be at full throttle within a femtosecond of eyes opening.
The Ancient Mariner

Davaar
21st Aug 2008, 16:24
I once went to a sleep clinic. I thought they were a bunch of charlatans, at least so far as I was concerned. I passed this muted enthusiasm to my GP , who shared it, but said he had thought it as well that I reach that conclusion indepently.

The clinic found that I do not have sleep apnea. It had never crossed my mind that I did, so that came as no surprise. Another physician, whom I knew socially and had spotted for a nice douce Scottish middle-aged professional lady (she may even have worn the mandatory twin set and string of pearls) prescribed three weeks' nightly therapy from a healthy seventeen-year-old chick. I viewed her thereafter with even deeper respect than before.

I believe she even had such a therapist in mind, but Frau Davaar was quite unreasonable about it all.........after all, it was who had recommended I go to the doctor in the first place. I can see how doctor become quite narked with patients. Ask for advice and then they will not act on it. Women can be difficult to understand at times.

S'land
21st Aug 2008, 16:42
I regularly went for 72 hours or more without a wink of sleep until, eventually, mental exhaustion overcame me and I'd 'grab' a couple of hours of sleep.
It's not fun . . .

One seconds that G-CPTN. I have never been a "good" sleeper. Three hours all in one go would be heaven. As it is I tend to get about two and a half hours sleep in ten to fifteen minute bouts. I take after my mother for sleeping. She made do with fifteen to thirty minutes sleep a night for most of her life. It was only when she was almost eighty that she started to sleep for two hours a night with a half hour catnap in the afternoon.

airship
21st Aug 2008, 16:58
I would have thought that by this time in human evolution we would have removed the need to spend one third of our lives unconcious. What a waste. We could add substantial time to our lives if sleep was not necessary. Is it really necessary or just a habit? Employers all over the globe have been posing the same question for decades. Capitalist democracies all over the globe have spent literally $billions on researching the subject I'd be willing to believe. If human-beings really didn't need to sleep (or in my case, 'sleep it off'), we'd all be working from 0800:22:00 Mon thru Sat... :}

PS. It's also very good for all the other creepy crawlies we share the planet with when most of us are asleep. I was thinking of foxes, stray pudicats, rats & mice and hedgehogs. Poor old hedgehogs though, no matter how quiet the road, there's always one that gets runover during the night... :{

Phew, if someone can perfectly incoherently ramble away in one thread (and get banned from it), how come one didn't get told off in this one...?! :confused: "Don't want you derailing a good thread with your at best incoherent ramblings...best regards, the mod." OK, I admit, everything in italics was added for my own benefit. Well, if I'm going to be accused of rambling on, I might as well make myself look better whilst I'm at it I guess. Sleep, oh yes, looking forward to about 7 hours now...but at least I won't be having nightmares about burning witches at the stake (or black pudicats for that matter). :zzz: