PDA

View Full Version : What 'plane?

Dick Whittingham
20th Aug 2008, 20:47
My Father worked in British Guiana in the tenties and thirties. I have just found this pic in an old photo album http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/bb161/dickw_photo/th_scan.jpg.

Anyone know what it is?

Dick (oops!)

PaperTiger
20th Aug 2008, 21:08
Manufacturer:FAIREY AVIATION CO LTD
Type:FAIREY IIID SEAPLANE
Serial No.:F576

(from G-INFO)

pigboat
20th Aug 2008, 21:34
Also one that seems quite at home standing on its nose. ;)

treadigraph
20th Aug 2008, 22:18
Have you seen where British Guiana is on the globe pigboat? :ok:

RETDPI
21st Aug 2008, 08:09
There's one in the Maritime Museum in Lisbon if you ever want a closer look.

Dick Whittingham
21st Aug 2008, 09:26
Sorry, all you experts, it took me an hour to get the pic on to the page, and I couldn't face doing it again the right way up.

The place is Kamakusa landing, I think on the Mazaruni river. I was there until '46 and knew nothing about this 'plane - which should have been a big story. The only indigenous aviation I knew of was Art Williams' BG Airways that flew two WACO seaplanes, like minature open cockpit Walruses. I'll Google WACO.

Dick

S'land
21st Aug 2008, 10:05
This link gives a brief history of civil aviation in Guyana and also mentions G-EBKE

A brief history of Civil Aviation in Guyana (http://www.landofsixpeoples.com/news402/ns406242.htm)

D120A
21st Aug 2008, 11:15
G-INFO (what would we do without it?) also reveals that it was registered on 4 Oct 1924 to Real Daylight Balata Estates Ltd. and was withdrawn from use on 9 January 1930. Doesn't say why, but given that the link above says the aircraft was dismantled and shipped to UK just before then, it seems likely no one wanted it here and the registration just lapsed.

Dick Whittingham
21st Aug 2008, 16:56
Thanks for the link. My WACO turns out to be a Wasp Ireland (or Ireland Wasp). I have never heard of this company. The search continues.

Dick

Dick Whittingham
22nd Aug 2008, 13:48
Just to tidy up loose ends, I found the Ireland Aircraft Co and the nearest match to my recall of Art Williams' aircraft is an Ireland N2-C with a P&W Wasp pusher. Thanks to Aerofiles.com.

Dick

Cyneweard
12th Apr 2013, 12:10
I saw the photo you posted of your father in the Fairey Nicholl at Kamakusa I'm in the process of writing a short article of internal mail in British Guiana, and wondered if you would mind if I used the image

Thanks Charles.