PDA

View Full Version : Warning Phishing!!!!

modtinbasher
20th Aug 2008, 20:31
Maybe a false alarm folks, but my web protection id (pc-cillin) is giving me a RED alarm on this site now!

Any further info please MODs?????

MTB

Roger Sofarover
20th Aug 2008, 21:09
So what does that mean or suggest in laymans terms?

Blues&twos
20th Aug 2008, 21:53
Could you post one more time modtinbasher? I didn't quite get the last two digits of your bank account last time.

Arm out the window
20th Aug 2008, 23:07
As any fule kno, phishing is bad for your computer because the phish flop around and put water all over your electronics.

Avitor
20th Aug 2008, 23:11
Probably needs a cash injection, modtinbasher :cool:

Impress to inflate
21st Aug 2008, 11:46
Would you please write in English. I don't understand what you mean.

Dee747
21st Aug 2008, 13:26
I guess this says just about everything about the value of pc-cillin to the IT industry ....

Romeo India Xray
21st Aug 2008, 14:03
Phishing is when a website is set up that looks exactly like the website you want to sign into. You enter your username and password and presto! the crooks have your details. This is something to watch out for with email and bank account related sites. The crooks get your details and then help themselves to your money with the help of all the personal info held in your inbox.

The way round it is to check that the address at the top of your screen is the address you are expecting to find the website at. Typing in www.pprune.com (http://www.pprune.com) and getting to www.pprune.org (http://www.pprune.org) may be OK, but googling hotmail and getting a hotmail log-in screen with an internet address of www.bOOgussssssKruuuksRusss.biz (http://www.bOOgussssssKruuuksRusss.biz) is a recipe for trouble. Always check that the site at the top of your screen is the site you are expecting

RIX

modtinbasher
21st Aug 2008, 19:47
If you think I'm trying to pull your leg/arm/pi$$er, then I was not!

The web protection/virus/everthing thingy I've subscribed to has kept me safe and secure, virus etc., free for the past years that I have purchased it. I've been very happy with it and will no doubt pay the fee this year for its continued support.

If you did not appreciate the advice I was trying to impart, well, that is up to you! Suffice to say, the warning I received the other day from my security software that prompted my red response has not yet repeated. So all is well with my PC, and the rest of the Pprune populace I presume!

MTB

Flap 5
21st Aug 2008, 22:48
I am sorry modtinbasher but you clearly don't understand the nature of phishing. Phishing doesn't 'attack' your computer like viruses do. You have to react to a phishing email or website. Any software will only give a warning based on how it recognises the email or website. You would still have to react to the email or website. It can not harm your computer. Do a little research of your own before blindly bowling in to things.

dazdaz
21st Aug 2008, 23:35
Romeo....."Phishing is when a website is set up that looks exactly like the website you want to sign into. You enter your username and password and presto! the crooks have your details." Ahhhhhhhh am I really on Pprune????????:eek:

Daz:confused:

x213a
21st Aug 2008, 23:42
Are phish puns allowed here?

BlueDiamond
22nd Aug 2008, 03:47
I don't think this would be the right plaice.

RiscOS
22nd Aug 2008, 04:00
I've been phloundering around trying to fink of suitable phish puns.
They would give this thread a sense of porpoise.

x213a
22nd Aug 2008, 04:14
Phew! Thank cod for that:D Would have been a load of pollacks otherwise.

jimma
22nd Aug 2008, 08:39
Having stupidly invested in pc-cillin myself, I am also getting the same message. Annoying to say the least. How do you stop it?

acmi48
22nd Aug 2008, 08:44
protected phishing with a condom maybe.......

Jetex Jim
22nd Aug 2008, 12:31
Romeo....."Phishing is when a website is set up that looks exactly like the website you want to sign into. You enter your username and password and presto! the crooks have your details." Ahhhhhhhh am I really on Pprune????????http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/eek.gif

Yikes, could it be that this is not the real pprune, but a bogus setup, created at huge expense, as an exact copy to attract all the original pprune members. No wonder it's been so tricky logging in just lately.:\

Help, where's the original pprune?

Dee747
22nd Aug 2008, 13:35
Having stupidly invested in pc-cillin myself, I am also getting the same message. Annoying to say the least. How do you stop it?

Uninstall it NOW with all possible haste, never to return to that Slough of Despond ever again !!! Then think of investing in some proper software not written by numpties.

Romeo India Xray
22nd Aug 2008, 13:43
Maybe the key to the real Pprune is locked in some extra dimension that can only be unlocked by a key contained within the code of Stephen Hawking's voice synthesizer.

Seriously though, always check the site you are logging onto as many people use just one or two passwords for all sites they visit (bank included). The crooks know this so a fake Pprune log-in page could well be of some use to them.

Remember, if it smells phishy .........

Ok, cap and coat

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
22nd Aug 2008, 13:50
The web protection/virus/everthing thingy I've subscribed to has kept me safe and secure, virus etc., free for the past years that I have purchased it. Well it should do. After all the peropl who write all the virus protection are the same ones who write all the viruses :8

The web protection/virus/everthing thingy I've subscribed to has kept me safe and secure, virus etc., free for the past years that I have purchased it. but how do you know? The old joke about sprinling Elephant Powder around Piccadilly Circus comes to mind.

Peropl????? :bored:

Bushfiva
22nd Aug 2008, 15:02
After all the peropl who write all the virus protection are the same ones who write all the viruses

Sigh. And sigh again to make the reply long enough.

Jetex Jim
22nd Aug 2008, 15:11
Maybe the key to the real Pprune is locked in some extra dimension that can only be unlocked by a key contained within the code of Stephen Hawking's voice synthesizer.

Possibly so, but my guess is that the Real Slim Shady has cloned the entire site (the original pprune), and he is using this one as a cover to hide the original version, and monopolising every thread thereon.:eek:

frostbite
22nd Aug 2008, 15:38
Which thought makes me wonder what Send Clowns is up to these days.