PDA

View Full Version : Modem Blues

SR-71
18th Feb 2001, 13:15
I used to have a lot of trouble with my very cheap PCTel modem and have now changed it for an item by Jetway which is much better however, when my computer pops up a dialogue box saying: Windows has detected a disconnection: Reconnect/cancel. Does anyone know how to get it to reconnect automatically. I've ticked the dial up box named connect automatically but this seems to only work when I first open explorer?

------------------
ICQ# 91029795

fobotcso
18th Feb 2001, 15:10
When I'm bumped against my wishes, I click on refresh and that starts the reconnection routine.

As for automatic reconnection, there isn't an option anywhere in the set-up boxes that I can find. Anyway it wouldn't suit me to use it if there were an option for automatic reconnection. I prefer to be at the consol to initiate it.

The reason is that, now I'm on BT Anytime, I leave OE running on the taskbar and it is set to connect every 30 mins to download new e-mails. The Modem connection is set to disconnect after 10 mins of inactivity. That way I don't hog a connection but get my e-mails in the background almost as soon as they are available. And if I'm at the keyboard, I can disconnect manually.

This is convenient when I'm working on Applications off-line

SR-71
18th Feb 2001, 15:29
Ta very much. I think this could help me as I like to leave the machine downloading anything big overnight then check messages at about 7, switch off and go to work. So I guess outlook could be used to keep my connection active. And I should think that midnight to 7am is far from the bussiest period for my UK ISP so shouldn't upset anyone.

[This message has been edited by SR-71 (edited 18 February 2001).]