PDA

View Full Version : Someone give this guy a medal...

Kerosine
19th Aug 2008, 19:49
In the Saturday Mail or Mail on Sunday in an article regarding rainfall:

"Full figures for August's rainfall will not be known until September"

:D

Please, no comments about the aforementioned paper, I completely deny ever buying OR reading it! :}

Richard Taylor
19th Aug 2008, 19:50
So....(Altogther now...)

IT MIGHT AS WELL RAIN UNTIL SEPT-EMB-ER.........:rolleyes:

(Thanks to Carole King ;) )

G-CPTN
19th Aug 2008, 19:53
Is it true (ie has it been printed in the Mail?) that this month has been the wettest August for 100 years?

GROUNDHOG
19th Aug 2008, 20:02
I predict September will be the wettest since last September.

Kerosine
19th Aug 2008, 20:03
Maybe so...

Will awful August be the wettest for nearly a century?| News | This is London (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23538606-details/Will+awful+August+be+the+wettest+for+nearly+a+century/article.do)

August set to be 'wettest in 100 years' - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2579969/August-set-to-be-wettest-in-100-years.html)

Big Tudor
19th Aug 2008, 20:17
And yet there was a report last month that this summer has not been below average! Do these people live in the real world? Meterological Bilge (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7561411.stm)
This summer has been a classic, old-fashioned British summer, even supporting the theories of Professor Hubert Lamb, one of Britain's best-known climate experts, who analysed weather patterns over a period of about 100 years to determine whether any of these patterns tended to recur at particular times of the year.
Sorry Professor Lumb but you are talking bilge. This is my 38th summer, probably the 33rd that I can remember, and I can say with some degree of certainty that this has not been like any "good old-fashioned British summer" that I remember. I have had plunge ankle deep through mud to cut my grass this morning. Typical August weather? Maybe if you live in the Ganges delta, but not for Merseyside. I can count on one hand the number of days when the mercury has overcome it's vertigo and struggled above 20C. And the long range forecast for this week? 17C and rain, with the possibility of 18C on Thursday. Oooh, can't wait! :mad:

pigboat
19th Aug 2008, 21:51
So much rain here this summer, a friend who flies a water bomber for a living says there's moss growing on the north side of his airplane. :ooh:

con-pilot
19th Aug 2008, 21:58
Since pigboat was nice enough to send a Canadian Low Pressure system down here, where it has stalled out, we have been averaging anywhere from 10 to 20 degrees (f) cooler and it has rained for over a week. We're setting records for rain fall; and it is needed and well appreciated. :ok:

G-CPTN
19th Aug 2008, 22:02
Apart from Dubai, where isn't getting more than its fair share of rain?
Last year Oz was parched (or was it two years ago?) but since then I believe they've received 'adequate' supplies . . .

Checkboard
20th Aug 2008, 00:00
I blame Global Warming.

merlinxx
20th Aug 2008, 07:48
The last real summers I remember in the UK were 1976 & 2001, spent most og 2001 on the beach, yes beach here in the UK, even camped out on the beach.

angels
20th Aug 2008, 08:42
I remember the summer of 1976 because I missed it!

I was backpacking around Europe and central Asia and picked up quite a tan. I was incommunicado with Blighty for a couple of months.

When I got back everyone was browner than me!

oldshuck
20th Aug 2008, 09:51
has anyone else noted that the phrase global warming seems to be slipping as the buzz words of the moment ?

We seem to be going back to the good old climate change.

I wonder if someone has actually worked out that it's not all down to us and our Co2 but a perfectly natural happenning that has been occuring over the past millenia

Big Tudor
20th Aug 2008, 10:53
Nope. It's the fact that most climatologists are also meteorologists and most people have worked out that weather men can't predict what the feckin weather will be like tomorrow, never mind next year. :hmm:

Trying to drag it back on topic. In other news, the BBC's chief weather man has admitted that it could be tomorrow morning before we can expect accurate figures on todays temperature. The prime minister has been urged to instigate a full scale review of the UK's weather services following EU recommendations that the term "scattered showers" is too vague. A left wing think tank has also complained to the European Court of Human Rights saying that the term "sunny intervals" is offensive to many muslims, although they did concede that summer 2008 in the UK has been predominantly shi-ite. :hmm:

ArthurR
20th Aug 2008, 11:08
I predict that November will be the warmest November in 2008, can I join the met office now.......:E

Peter Fanelli
20th Aug 2008, 12:33
has anyone else noted that the phrase global warming seems to be slipping as the buzz words of the moment ?

We seem to be going back to the good old climate change.

I wonder if someone has actually worked out that it's not all down to us and our Co2 but a perfectly natural happenning that has been occuring over the past millenia

Notice how Al Gore doesn't seem to be in the news much these days either.

Checkboard
20th Aug 2008, 12:50
On an aviation bent, the CAA has decided that forecasting is now so good we no longer need regular 9 hour TAFs (Terminal Aerodrome Forecasts), so Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted and Manchester will only issue 30 hour TAFs from 5th November 2008.

No un-forecast changes allowed for 30 hours at a time then. :suspect: